EXHALE TOP 100 of 2021 - Full list revealed

054-Posh-Spice.png

#54 - Posh Spice
Iggy Azalea

The 87's produced Posh Spice, track No. 17 on the deluxe edition of The End of an Era. This ode to Victoria Beckham written by Iggy Azalea, opens with a quote of Posh Spice herself from her 2015 Vogue "73 Questions" interview: "I'm smiling on the inside. I feel I have a responsibility to the fashion community". Iggy calls herself Posh Spice as a synonym of that cold ***** with the mean stare that only wears black, that everyone wants to kiss to taste her man's, um, tool.

• Love 3

053-Crave.png

#53 - Crave
Years & Years

The only thing Olly craves is "the pain" in this song, the second single off the Night Call album due in 2022, the first Years & Years record as a solo project after the departure of Mikey and Emre back in March. Crave was written by Olly and Mark Ralph, who produced it along with DetoNate. In the Tom Beard directed video, we see Olly with a bunch of mythological creatures in a fantastical set. He gets whipped at some point, but he seems to enjoy it, so it's ok.

• Love 2

052-STAY.png

#52 - Stay
The Kid LAROI. ft. Justin Bieber

On July 2021, The Kid LAROI released Stay featuring Justin Bieber. The song which would be included on the second deluxe version of his debut mixtape **** LOVE became a #1 hit in more than 20 countries, including the US Billboard Hot 100 and the Global 200 charts, hitting the Top 10 in almost every other country it charted. The production was in charge of Cashmere Cat, Charlie Puth, Omer Fedi and Slatkin. Colin Tilley directed the music video for this song where we see Charlton and Justin dance and sing in a world where the time has stopped and everyone and everything but them are frozen.

• Love 1

051-Flor-de-Involuci-n.png

#51 - Flor de Involución
J Mena

In this catchy tune, Argentine singer J Mena seems to stumble upon an old love only to find out that time has passed by and they're not the same "mierda" anymore. "Gracias por la invitación, flor de involución" she sings repeatedly throughout he song that was accompanied by a music video directed by Rocío Crudo and Alejandro Ciancio where Jimena and a group of women dance in the streets wearing some retro outfits. The song was produced in the middle of the quarantine through a zoom meeting between J Mena and the producer of the song Richie López. 

• Love 2

050-Who-s-in-Your-Head.png

#50 - Who's in Your Head
Jonas Brothers

Max Martin and Ilya produced Who's in Your Head, and they also co-wrote it along with Joe, Nick and Kevin, with additional collaboration by Rami Yacoub and David Stewart. This pop-funk song marks the first time Martin and Yacoub collaborate in a long time, and even if it only got moderate success, this underrated gem is reminiscent of the early 2000 bops the duo used to produce for the likes of Britney and NSYNC. Another Christian Brelsauer directed video, we see the three brothers in various sets including a hair salon, a pool of fresh concrete and Joe Jonas taking a bath in a giant cup of coffee.

049-Message-in-a-Bottle-Taylor-s-Version

#49 - Message in a Bottle (Taylor's Version) (From the Vault)
Taylor Swift

Message in a Bottle is one of the unreleased tracks taken from the vault that failed to make it to Red's tracklist back in 2012. It saw the light on the 2021 re-recording of the album which came out in November, along with 9 other previously unreleased songs. MIAB was written by Taylor, Max Martin and Shellback, the latter of which produced the track along with Elvira Anderfjärd. An 80's inspired electropop song, marked as underwhelming by some critics, managed to hit the Billboard Hot 100 at #45 and it's been quite popular on our Exhale's weekly Top 20, but has failed to make the list yet due to All Too Well and I Bet You Think About Me taking the two spots per artist that the rules say.

• Love 3

048-THATS-WHAT-I-WANT.png

#48 - THATS WHAT I WANT
Lil Nas X

All Montero asks for is a guy to cuddle with all night, there's so much love in him but he doesn't seem to find it in these times of loneliness. THATS WHAT I WANT was produced by Omer Fedi, Blake Slatkin, Ryan Tedder and KBeaZy and was released as the fourth single off MONTERO.  In the music video directed by Stillz, we see Lil Nas X having an affair with fellow football teammate played by Yai Ariza. After Lil gets injured and is taken off the field, the two boys meet at the locker room where they proceed to have safe s** (sponsored by Durex). They continue their romance in a scene that references the 2005 film Brokeback Mountain only for Lil to find out towards the end that his man is married to a woman and they have a child together. The heartbroken Montero goes home to get drunk and in the end we see him entering a church wearing a wedding dress/suit where he plays an electric guitar solo.

• Love 2

047-Happier-Than-Ever.png

#47 - Happier Than Ever
Billie Eilish

The sixth single off Billie Eilish's second studio album of the same name, Happier Than Ever was released the same day the full record came out; it peaked at #11 on the Billboard Hot 100. Produced by her brother FINNEAS, like the rest of the album, it starts as a slow, soul acoustic strummed guitar ballad but later on it transitions into a more energetic punk-rock ending, which earned the praise of many critics. In the music video we see Billie sing the song through the telephone, only to open the door as a stream of water violently floods the fancy room she's in, with her ending the video on the roof of the house in the middle of a downpour.

• Love 1

046-Woman.png

#46 - Woman
Doja Cat

Planet Her's last single, Woman was produced by Yeti Beats, Linden Jay, Aynzli Jones and Crate Classics. Jidenna was part of the co-writers of this afropop song and also provided backing vocals. The lyrics talk about womanhood and feminine diversity, offering a man all the benefits of allowing Doja Cat to be his woman, from forming a family to being the head of all the states. The music video was inspired by Michael Jackson's Remember the Time (1992) and the film Dune and features Teyana Taylor and Guetcha.

• Love 1

045-Don-t-Wait-Up.png

#45 - Don't Wait Up
Shakira

Early in the year, a redhead Shakira announced to be back in the studio with Emily Warren and Ian Kirkpatrick. They together created Don't Wait Up, an electronic dance pop song that's supposed to be the lead single off her 12th studio album due in 2022. Her first solo single entirely in English since 2016's Try Everything, the long-awaited song didn't reach the expected success even though it contains music influences that seem to be the trend among current hits. This opposes Shakira's vision who thought this was the perfect song to start a new era and the perfect comeback to the English market. Released in July, this remains her latest single so far despite announcing in an interview for Vogue Mexico that more songs would come out throughout the year to culminate in the new album. Perhaps she's trying to find a new direction that resonates more with the audience.

She had fun shooting the music video though, which was shot in Tenerife and directed by Warren Fu. After showing her skateboarding skills in 2020's GIRL LIKE ME video, this time she takes on the surfboard, something she never thought of doing, intercalated with a dance sequence scene in a Tik Tok-friendly style of choreography that was new to Shakira.

044-I-Bet-You-Think-About-Me-Taylor-s-Ve

#44 - I Bet You Think About Me (Taylor's Version) (From the Vault)
Taylor Swift ft. Chris Stapleton

Another one from the vault, I Bet You Think About Me was written by Taylor and Lori McKenna and co-produced with Aaron Dressner. It features country singer Chris Stapleton who gives an extra touch to the song that talks about a past relationship with a man from a "silver spoon, gated community" and how apparently she was never good enough to fit in his world. The revenge being that despite everything, he'll never stop thinking about her as much as he tries. The Easter eggs-filled music video, directed by Blake Lively, reflects the lyrics with actor Miles Teller playing the groom the day of his wedding, seeing his ex Taylor everywhere disguised as different characters as she sabotages the party in various ways.

• Love 3

043-Love-Line.png

#43 - Love Line
Shift K3Y ft. Tinashe

British DJ Shift K3Y released Love Line in collaboration with Tinashe. Contrary to what the song title may suggest, Tinashe actually states her phone is no love line for the guy to be calling her at midnight. She's fed up with waiting for him to call and she won't have any more of it. The music video takes us to the early 2000's, in it we see her smashing a cellphone along with a plethora of different models of phones from two decades ago.

042-This-is-Heaven.png

#42 - This Is Heaven
Nick Jonas

This R&B song was released in March as the second single off Spaceman. As his other entries on this list, This Is Heaven was produced by Greg Kurstin and follows the same dreamy vibe with romantic lyrics about an ideal relationship. If kissing his loved one is a religion, he's a believer. Daniel Broadley directed the accompanying music video, which continues the storyline of the previous single, and features the London Community Gospel Choir.

• Love 1

041-Venus-Fly-Trap.png

#41 - Venus Fly Trap
Marina

The fourth single off Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land, this song was written by Marina who also co-produced it with James Flannigan. Venus Fly Trap is an alternative, funk-pop song where she reflects about not fitting in the Hollywood stereotype and working her way up to earn everything that she has. She's got the beauty and the brains and nothing's gonna stop her from being her. In the music video directed by Weird Life, she plays various cliché characters from sci-fi Hollywood movies from across different eras, credited as the New Wave Woman, the Silent Film Star, the Horror Flick Chick, the Q.T. Cutie and the Action Angel.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

045-Don-t-Wait-Up.png

#45 - Don't Wait Up
Shakira

Early in the year, a redhead Shakira announced to be back in the studio with Emily Warren and Ian Kirkpatrick. They together created Don't Wait Up, an electronic dance pop song that's supposed to be the lead single off her 12th studio album due in 2022. Her first solo single entirely in English since 2016's Try Everything, the long-awaited song didn't reach the expected success even though it contains music influences that seem to be the trend among current hits. This opposes Shakira's vision who thought this was the perfect song to start a new era and the perfect comeback to the English market. Released in July, this remains her latest single so far despite announcing in an interview for Vogue Mexico that more songs would come out throughout the year to culminate in the new album. Perhaps she's trying to find a new direction that resonates more with the audience.

She had fun shooting the music video though, which was shot in Tenerife and directed by Warren Fu. After showing her skateboarding skills in 2020's GIRL LIKE ME video, this time she takes on the surfboard, something she never thought of doing, intercalated with a dance sequence scene in a Tik Tok-friendly style of choreography that was new to Shakira.

This was the worst song released in 2021 :orangu_orangutan_ape:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block