EXHALE TOP 100 of 2021 - Full list revealed

exhaletop1001.pngtop100.png

In an attempt to create an annual tradition on Exhale of coming up with our very own list of the Top 100 songs of the year, several months ago I asked Exhalers to submit their entries, from December 2020 to November 2021. During the month of November I received your votes, and now I can finally reveal the official Exhale Top 100 songs of 2021.

There were over 500 submissions, a lot of good songs, others not so much, and to the surprise of some people, many of the most popular songs of the year weren't even nominated, but that's the point, this list is supposed to be Exhale's favorite music, independently of the sales or streams the song has out there. 

However, I admit the process was not the most user friendly or the most organized of all, that's why for next year I'll use the weekly Exhale Top 20, which is currently at its fourth week. The weekly performance of the songs you submit throughout the year will determine the overall position of the Top 100 of 2022, or at least will help us reduce the poll of entries so it's easier for people to vote at the end of the year. 

Yesterday I announced the Bubbling Under list, those songs that only made it from 200 to 101st positions. You can check the list here

100. Iam the Stripclub - Iggy Azalea  /  Giants - WALK THE MOON
099. Rasputin - Majestic and Boney M.
098. Rest - Alanis Morissette  /  Highly Emotional People - Marina
097. Black Hole - Griff
096. Yo Soy - Paulina Rubio
095. Dreams You Don't Forget - NIGHT TRAVELER
094. Run It - DJ Snake, Rick Ross and Rich Brian
093. GIRL LIKE ME - Black Eyed Peas ft. Shakira
092. Selfish Love - DJ Snake with Selena Gomez
091. Met Him Last Night - Demi Lovato with Ariana Grande
090. About Last Night - Jake Bugg
089. Solar Power - Lorde
088. Harmony - Mike Williams ft. Xillions
087. Gasoline - HAIM ft. Taylor Swift  /  Devotion - D.A.N
086. Mojito - Thalia
085. The Feels - TWICE
084. Like a Prayer (Live at the Coliseu dos Recreios) - Madonna
083. Cambia el Paso - Jennifer Lopez and Rauw Alejandro
082. Kiss Me More - Doja Cat ft. SZA
081. Baila Conmigo - Selena Gomez with Rauw Alejandro

080. Let Them Know - Mabel
079. Angel Baby - Troye Sivan
078. Bite Me - Avril Lavigne
077. Your Heart Is My Home - Foster the People
076. Oxytocin - Billie Eilish
075. Ghost - Justin Bieber
074. Josh - Peach PRC
073. Pose - Red Velvet
072. La Niña de la Escuela - Lola Índigo, TINI and Belinda
071. WITHOUT YOU - The Kid LAROI
070. Deeper Love - Nick Jonas
069. Million to One - Camila Cabello
068. Follow You - Imagine Dragons
067. 24 Hours - Agnes
066. Kiss My (Uh Oh) - Anne-Marie and Little Mix
065. MONTERO (Call Me by Your Name) - Lil Nas X
064. no body,no crime - Taylor Swift ft. HAIM
063. Lovesick Girls (Japanese Version) - BLACKPINK
062. If I Fall - Nick Jonas
061. On the Ground - ROSÉ

060. Die for You - Justin Bieber ft. Dominic Fike
059. Take My Breath - The Weeknd
058. Call On Me - RAYE
057. Angels like You - Miley Cyrus
056. Sacrifice - Bebe Rexha
055. No - Little Mix
054. It Don't Matter - Alok, Sofi Tukker & INNA
053. Posh Spice - Iggy Azalea
052. Crave - Years & Years
051. STAY - The Kid LAROI ft. Justin Bieber
050. Flor de Involución - J Mena
049. Message in a Bottle (Taylor's Version) (From the Vault) - Taylor Swift
048. THATS WHAT I WANT - Lil Nas X
047. Happier Than Ever - Billie Eilish
046. Woman - Doja Cat
045. Don't Wait Up - Shakira
044. I Bet You Think About Me (Taylor's Version) (From the Vault) - Taylor Swift ft. Chris Stapleton
043. Love Line - Shift K3Y ft Tinashe
042. This is Heaven - Nick Jonas
041. Venus Fly Trap - Marina

040. Let Me Reintroduce Myself - Gwen Stefani
039. gold rush - Taylor Swift
038. Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land - Marina
037. Best Friend - Saweetie ft. Doja Cat
036. Confetti - Little Mix ft. Saweetie
035. Heartbreak Anthem - Galantis, David Guetta & Little Mix
034. A Second to Midnight - Kylie Minogue and Years & Years
033. Marry the Night - Kylie Minogue
032. Pa Mis Muchachas - Christina Aguilera, Becky G, Nicki Nicole ft. Nathy Peluso
031. We're Good - Dua Lipa
030. traitor - Olivia Rodrigo
029. I am not a woman, I'm a god - Halsey
028. Free Woman (Rina Sawayama and Clarence Clarity Remix) - Lady Gaga
027. Bang Bang - Rita Ora and Imanbek
026. Don't Go Yet - Camila Cabello
025. champagne problems - Taylor Swift
024. Mood Ring - Lorde
023. deja vu - Oliva Rodrigo
022. Purge the Poison - Marina
021. I Love You But I Love Me More - Marina

020. Leave Before You Love Me - Marshmello ft. Jonas Brothers
019. EveryTime I Cry - Ava Max
018. Shivers - Ed Sheeran
017. All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor's Version) (From the Vault) - Taylor Swift
016. drivers license - Olivia Rodrigo
015. Save Your Tears (Remix) - The Weeknd & Ariana Grande
014. That Kind of Woman - Dua Lipa
013. My Head & My Heart - Ava Max
012. Good Ones - Charli XCX
011. Boyz - Jesy Nelson ft. Nicki Minaj
010. Easy on Me - Adele
009. Cold Heart (PNAU Remix) - Elton John with Dua Lipa
008. If It Ain't Me - Dua Lipa
007. Mood Ring (by Demand) (Wuki Remix) - Britney Spears
006. willow - Taylor Swift
005. Bad Habits - Ed Sheeran
004. good 4 u - Olivia Rodrigo
003. Matches - Britney Spears with Backstreet Boys
002. Love Again - Dua Lipa
001. Swimming in the Stars - Britney Spears

Thanks to everyone that participated both in the submission process as well as the voting :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

• Love 2

100-I-Am-the-Stripclub.png

#100 - Iam the Stripclub
Iggy Azalea

Co-written by Iggy Azalea along with Bobby D. Session Jr, Whitney Phillips, Eric Leva and the producer of the song, J. White Did It, the track No. 6 of The End of an Era was released as the third single on July 02 of this year. Its music video caused some controversy after people online accused her of blackfishing due to her drastically different appearance, with a darker skin and black wig. However Iggy dismissed these accusations by claiming she had used the same foundation over the last three years, "... suddenly I wear a black wig in a club scene & its an issue.”

• Love 1

100-Giants.png

#100 - Giants
WALK THE MOON

In a tie with Iam the Stripclub, Giants by WALK THE MOON barely makes the list landing at the 100th position.  Released as a promotional single in July off their fifth studio album Heights, the song appears as track No. 3 on the record, co-written by the three members of the band Nicholas Petricca, Eli Maiman, Sean Waugaman as well as Leah Haywood, Daniel James and Rob Ellmore. The song's chorus invites the listener to take on giants, because underdogs do it like that, a very corny and uplifting song overall about conquering everything by sticking together.

20 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

100-I-Am-the-Stripclub.png

#100 - Iam the Stripclub
Iggy Azalea

Co-written by Iggy Azalea along with Bobby D. Session Jr, Whitney Phillips, Eric Leva and the producer of the song, J. White Did It, the track No. 6 of The End of an Era was released as the third single on July 02 of this year. Its music video caused some controversy after people online accused her of blackfishing due to her drastically different appearance, with a darker skin and black wig. However Iggy dismissed these accusations by claiming she had used the same foundation over the last three years, "... suddenly I wear a black wig in a club scene & its an issue.”

Deserved more :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

099-Rasputin.png

#99 - Rasputin
Majestic and Boney M.

On February 2021, after the resurgence on Tik Tok of the 1978 song Rasputin originally performed by Euro-Caribbean group Boney M., DJ Majestic produced a new version of the track featuring lyrics from the first verse and first chorus of the original, crediting the German-based group as a collaborator. The song, written by Frank Farian, George Reyam and Fred Jay which talks about Grigori Rasputin, the Russian self-proclaimed mystic who befriended Tsar Nicholas II in the last century, charted around the world with its 2021 version, including a #1 in Poland and #11 at the US Hot Dance/Electronic songs chart.

098-Rest.png

#98 - Rest
Alanis Morissette

Originally premiered when she performed it live in 2017, at a tribute concert in memory of Chester Bennington, frontman of Linkin Park, who died by suicide that year, Alanis Morissette officially released Rest in May this year to commemorate #MentalHealthAction Day. It was co-written with Michael Farrell and produced by Alex Hope. "I’m sharing a song entitled ‘Rest’ written specifically about those of us who struggle with depression and anxiety, isolation, suicidal ideation and the profound despair that mental illness can plunge us into.” she shared.

098-Highly-Emotional-People.png

#98 - Highly Emotional People
Marina

In another tie, Highly Emotional People by Marina appears at #98. It is the track No. 5 on Marina's fifth studio album Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land, written by her and produced by James Flannigan. Released in June, HEP gives reassurance to those in pain by explaining we're all just part of this game called life, played by the universe which "hangs like a necklace from God".

• Love 2

097-Black-Hole.png

#97- Black Hole
Griff

Early in the year, British singer Griff released Black Hole, just mere days before turning 20. It is the lead single off her debut mixtape One Foot in Front of the Other which would come out in June. The song was written by Sarah Faith (her real name) along with Peter Rycroft and Frederik Castenschiold Eichen, and it was produced by Lostboy. It peaked on UK's Singles Chart at #18, but it also appeared in some other charts such as Belgium and Ireland. 

096-Yo-Soy.png

#96 - Yo Soy
Paulina Rubio

After more than two years since her last single as a lead artist (she only had a collaboration in 2020), Mexican singer Paulina Rubio returned to her roots with this ranchera-mariachi / trap song titled Yo Soy (I Am), the first single released under her new contract with Sony, after finishing the deal she had with Universal for more than 20 years. First teased at the Miami Beach Pride concert in September, the song would come out along with its Roxana Baldovin-directed music video in October, which was filmed in Laguna Beach, California. In this manifesto, Paulina describes herself as ungovernable, not owing anything to anyone, "an Eve without an Adam" making the paradise all for herself. It was written by Paulina along with Felipe González, Valentino Rico, Omar Koonze, Andy Clay and Andres Castro, the latter of which also produced the track, in a style that is reminiscent of Paulina's earlier hits such as El Último Adiós, Ni Rosas Ni Juguetes and De Qué Sirve.

095-Dreams-You-Don-t-Forget.png

#95 - Dreams You Don't Forget
NIGHT TRAVELER

NIGHT TRAVELER describes you a list of wonderful things and feelings such as the sound of your voice when it's telling the truth, or the sound of your car when you're on your way out of town in Dreams You Don't Forget, track No. 4 on the record of the same name, all this as a promise that everything will be alright as something good is coming.

094-Run-It.png

#94 - Run It
DJ Snake, Rick Ross and Rich Brian

DJ Snake produced along with SIM and Diamond Pistols the song Run It, an EDM/Hip-Hop track that features rappers Rick Ross and Rich Brian. The track was released as the third single off the Marvel super-hero film Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings soundtrack album. In the music video we can see 32 year old Simu Liu, lead actor on the film, "battling it out on the dancefloor with DJ Snake". The song peaked at #13 on the US Hot Dance/Electronic Songs chart.

• Love 1

093-GIRL-LIKE-ME.png

#93 - GIRL LIKE ME
Black Eyed Peas ft. Shakira

Shakira opened 2020 with her stand-alone single Me Gusta featuring Anuel AA released in January, and a Halftime Show and a pandemic later, she closed it with another collaboration, this time as the featured artist on Black Eyed Peas' GIRL LIKE ME, the last single off their eighth studio album Translation. The song was written and produced by will.i.am, Shakira and Johnny Goldstein, with additional writing by the other two BEP members apple and Taboo, as well as Brendan Buckley, Albert Menendez and Tim Mitchell. It went Top 5 in many charts globally, such as Mexico, Peru, Belgium, Hong-Kong including a #1 on the US Latin chart and it also peaked at #67 on the BB Hot 100.

The music video directed by Rich Lee, was filmed at different locations due to the COVID-19 restrictions, showing Shakira's skateboarding skills in an 80's aerobics look inspired by Jane Fonda, a vibe described by Shakira as retro futuristic. Released in December 2020, by January it had already reached 200 million views on YouTube, in part thanks to going viral on Tik Tok after millions tried to recreate Shakira and her dancers' choreography.

With more than 519 million views in total, VEVO announced GIRL LIKE ME was the third most watched video of 2021, only surpassed by The Weeknd's Save Your Tears and Karol G's EL MAKINON.

092-Selfish-Love.png

#92 - Selfish Love
DJ Snake and Selena Gomez

DJ Snake and Marty Maro produced this track, co-written along with Selena, Kat Dahlia, Karen Sotomayor and Kris Floyd. It was released as the third single off Selena Gomez's EP Revelación. With lyrics both in English and Spanish, Selena confesses her feelings of jealousy accompanied by a mixture of rhythms that range from dubstep to Middle Eastern to "chill" saxophone. Though it didn't make the Billboard Hot 100, it did peak at #6 on the Hot Latin Songs chart as well as #72 on the Global 200. The tropical track's music video won the Best Production Design Video category at the UK Music Video Awards.

• Love 1

091-Met-Him-Last-Night.png

#91 - Met Him Last Night
Demi Lovato ft. Ariana Grande

Demi Lovato released their seventh studio album in April titled Dancing with the Devil... the Art of Starting Over. The fourth single, Met Him Last Night was released short after, featuring Ariana Grande. According to Demi, Ariana started writing the song after listening to some of the material recorded for the album, and though Ariana initially wanted to appear uncredited as a "mystery harmony", Demi convinced her to add her vocals since the world would love to hear them sing together. A follow up to Dancing with the Devil, the album's third single, MHLN narrates the encounter of the singers with the devil, and finding out he's really not that bad. The song peaked at 61 on the Billboard Hot 100.

• Love 1

090-About-Last-Night.png

#90 - About Last Night
Jake Bugg

Jake Bugg's fifth studio album Saturday Night, Sunday Morning was released in August this year. About Last Night, track No. 3, was produced by Happy Perez and co-written by Andrew Wotman, Ali Tamposi and Nathan Perez. The song talks about the feelings of jealousy he experiences after seeing the girl he loves walk away with someone else. Struggling to breathe and with his mind lost, his plea for her to stay offers spending a million lives just trying to make it right.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block