More famous: Britney vs Shakira

It's pretty equal worldwide.  

But I think Brit edges her in the US and that's it. But I think globally more definitely shakira. 

She's one of the highest grossing touring acts of all time. 

Britney could have been but her tickets are among the cheapest compared to other acts known for touring like Shakira, Madonna and countless others. 

• Like 1

just considering her youtube channel alone, Shakira has almost three times the total views that Britney does. I don't know about other platforms, but I think Shakira overall must be more famous in more places, but we have to consider she's been singing way before Britney, and way after Britney's latest music, plus the fact that Shakira sings both in Spanish and English.

I mean, Latin people consume English music as well, but obviously music in Spanish will be friendlier to more people. Also Shakira started with a more rock-pop style, then went to pop-ish, then urban, so she's covered a wider audience than Britney who over the years has drastically reduced her demographics, basically since Blackout.

So I don't think a comparison is even fair.

• Love 4
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

It's pretty equal worldwide.  

But I think Brit edges her in the US and that's it. But I think globally more definitely shakira. 

She's one of the highest grossing touring acts of all time. 

Britney could have been but her tickets are among the cheapest compared to other acts known for touring like Shakira, Madonna and countless others. 

Yes, Americans are completely grandiose and don’t understand there is a whole world full of people who are subjects and not just objects outside of Hollywood. (An example of that is some NYT journalist who posted a pic of a girl from a catastrophe outside of the US, with the caption “always good to put a face on news that nobody gives a **** about.” Just because she and her peers in the US don’t it doesn’t make them “everyone”. ) Shakira is a lot bigger than Americans understand. However big she is, I doubt that anyone who knows who Shakira is does not know who Britney Spears is. Perhaps equally famous as in people know their names, but I guess Britney is more famous. Not saying better liked or anything, just talking about fame only.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Almost Mystical said:

Shakira might have more views or streams. But Britney Spears is a cultural phenomenon, comparable to Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and Audrey Hepburn. So successful that within a couple of years, she created her own genre where you get a dozen of Britney's imitator, be it Jessica, Mandy, or early P!nk. 

I was going to say this. In terms of music, yeah Shakira is more popular now (in no small part because of Britney's 'break') and she has played so well with different age gaps in english and spanish speaking markets, it's unbelievable. But in terms of pop culture...I have serious doubts.

I think Britney's impact in pop culture generally is bigger and she will stand as a pop culture icon in history, much more so than Shakira.

• Like 2

You guys probably don't know but Shakira was HUGE in Latin America in the 90's and most people don't like the "new" Shakira... 

I would say they're both pretty well known worldwide, and there's no way to know for sure... I wouldn't rely on youtube views cause Youtube is HUGE in Latin America, that's why you see some random spanish songs with over 200.000.000 views, not because they're really THAT BIG WW. 

Take a look at Google Trends and you'll find out Britney is more searched WW. 

• Like 2

Whaaaat ? 

Shakira has more views because her songs are hit summer songs for Olympic games or stuff like that BUT we know nothing about her. I never met someone who talked about Shakira's family, husband or life , she has no cultural impact...in the other hand everybody knows about Britney, she is an icon like Marilyn Monroe. 

Britney is a symbol. She's the ultimate 90's // 2000 Pop star, she is the face of the lolita trend, she is one of the most famous name of the americanization of societies just like McDonald's or Disney. And everyone knows about her breakdown and the Freebritney movement. 

So many stuff can be shown to people and people would say "That's so Britney ! "..no one would say that about Shakira.

:truthtea_sips_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_red_mug_spill:

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block