How popular was Blackout really in 2007?

On 6/14/2021 at 3:59 PM, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Fair and square. The better album won. :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

I’m going to have to disagree, this was also 2007… people were illegally downloading music like crazy. Britney especially. This seriously hurt her sales like NOTHING else. Keep in mind the album leaked weeks ahead of its scheduled release. Which prompted her team to move release date from nov 13 to oct 30 because they were already losing too much money. I’m not saying the Eagles did not rightfully earn their sales, but had Blackout not leaked I honestly believe it would have gone #1 regardless of the rule change… as the old saying goes, why buy the cow when you get the milk for free. This rang especially true for music in the 00s… 🤷🏼‍♀️ I was 20 when the album came out, my peers basically invented p2p file sharing. Eagles fans were in their 40’s/50’s? No shade to them but they were definitely buying that Walmart exclusive cd. 😂 Anywho, this is the exact reason Beyoncé “surprise releases” so much. 🤷🏼‍♀️ You know I’m right.

:ohi_okay_chewing_gum_well_welp:
lol, (mayyyyyybe they still would have gotten the number one, but I have to go hard for Blackout. 😂 it’s my favorite) and you know I make sense. Xoxo 💋 ❤️ Especially if we are to believe that Femme Fatale was the most illegally downloaded album of the year 😂 I think it was like 10 million? Even a fraction of that would have gotten her the number 1  and it was BLACKOUT 😂

• Like 1
On 6/15/2021 at 1:06 AM, DougFrmBrazil said:

It’s kinda sad when people say: “I suspected [someone] is gay”. 

If he was carrying around an ancient german heirloom, the poster might’ve suspected his bloodline contained royalty

That’s kinda the same thing imo, yet suspecting someone’s gay has this negative connotation to it

I hate perpetuating stereotypes but at the end of the day that user didn’t mean any harm by it and it shouldn’t be taken as such. Being gay isn’t a bad thing, so why would wondering if someone’s gay be a bad thing?

2 hours ago, Malibu.D.Luxx said:

I’m going to have to disagree, this was also 2007… people were illegally downloading music like crazy. Britney especially. This seriously hurt her sales like NOTHING else. Keep in mind the album leaked weeks ahead of its scheduled release. Which prompted her team to move release date from nov 13 to oct 30 because they were already losing too much money. I’m not saying the Eagles did not rightfully earn their sales, but had Blackout not leaked I honestly believe it would have gone #1 regardless of the rule change… as the old saying goes, why buy the cow when you get the milk for free. This rang especially true for music in the 00s… 🤷🏼‍♀️ I was 20 when the album came out, my peers basically invented p2p file sharing. Eagles fans were in their 40’s/50’s? No shade to them but they were definitely buying that Walmart exclusive cd. 😂 Anywho, this is the exact reason Beyoncé “surprise releases” so much. 🤷🏼‍♀️ You know I’m right.

:ohi_okay_chewing_gum_well_welp:
lol, (mayyyyyybe they still would have gotten the number one, but I have to go hard for Blackout. 😂 it’s my favorite) and you know I make sense. Xoxo 💋 ❤️ Especially if we are to believe that Femme Fatale was the most illegally downloaded album of the year 😂 I think it was like 10 million? Even a fraction of that would have gotten her the number 1  and it was BLACKOUT 😂

Wooow how the h3ll did I never think about Beyonce doing it because of that. Very true

18 hours ago, Rik said:

Sweeetie ily but were u even born when blackout came out  

It did in fact sell more, it was a last minute change to ensure she didn’t meet the cut off. Sales were transferred from first week to subsequent which is weird. It was supposed to debut at #1 and the fact that the rule was quickly switched back shortly after blackouts release indicates that it was a mass scam

The industry wanted her to fall so ******* badly. I bet they were losing their minds in the execs room over Britney going number 1 anyway lol

• Like 1

compared to her previous albums, it wasnt as massive. that being said, it still was pretty popular and definitely discussed in the media and GP. she didnt promote at all (besides that one random *** seacrest interview) so that definitely hindered sales. i do remember people FLIPPING out when gimme more was released: a) because no one thought she was in the headspace to release new music and b) because it opened with "it's britney *****." gimme more and piece of me definitely did well and had solid sales and airplay. the album also was popular enough to open at #1 on the billboard charts BUT billboard decided to change the rules last minute (literally like the day before the chart was published) and she got screwed and bumped to #2.

• Like 1