How popular was Blackout really in 2007?

I’ve been a fan of Britney since Oops era but I was basically a baby. 

When Britney had her “breakdown” in 2007 I remember people saying lots of bad things about her. 

But my question is: how did the general public like “Blackout”? 

I was too young at that time, so I don’t really know. 

Was it like and instant success or was it more like a grower album? 

I know nowadays it is considered “iconic” and “classic” - but what was it like back then?

Edited by Midnight
  • Like 2

I don’t think the general public was really aware of Blackout.  There was literally ZERO promotion of the album so I feel like the fans were the only ones who anticipated the release of the album.  It wasn’t promoted probably because Sam Lufti was the one “managing” Britney at the time...Larry Rudolph wasn’t in the picture.  That along with of all the problems Britney was facing during that timeframe in her personal and professional life (estrangement from family/team, divorce, custody battles, head shaving, umbrella incident, media scrutiny, 2007 VMA performance, etc...). I think the only album promotion that was done was a telephone interview on Ryan Seacrest’s radio show with Britney, Sam Lufti, and Allie.  Britney barely spoke and then walked away from the phone in the middle of the interview to get in the shower, leaving only Sam & Allie to finish the interview.

• Like 6
44 minutes ago, ryro_85 said:

I don’t think the general public was really aware of Blackout.  There was literally ZERO promotion of the album so I feel like the fans were the only ones who anticipated the release of the album.  It wasn’t promoted probably because Sam Lufti was the one “managing” Britney at the time...Larry Rudolph wasn’t in the picture.  That along with of all the problems Britney was facing during that timeframe in her personal and professional life (estrangement from family/team, divorce, custody battles, head shaving, umbrella incident, media scrutiny, 2007 VMA performance, etc...). I think the only album promotion that was done was a telephone interview on Ryan Seacrest’s radio show with Britney, Sam Lufti, and Allie.  Britney barely spoke and then walked away from the phone in the middle of the interview to get in the shower, leaving only Sam & Allie to finish the interview.

She also made a contest with TRL where you could use an online video editing software for fans to make a video of Piece Of Me but the clips were given by MTV and Britney was going to pick the winner (probably she never knew about this contest even).

3 minutes ago, pieceofphil said:

In Germany nobody even knew she had music out. I even suspected my gym instructor for being gay because he put on break the ice even it came out and it wasn't a fitness mix CD but a self burned one so he must've known.

I was 'GP' at that time and I knew she had an album release only because my friend (who happens to be gay) told me about it. 
Otherwise I was only aware of the personal issues, VMA and the Gimme More video. 

• Content Curators

It was everywhere people were knocking down doors and breaking windows to get their hands on a copy of the album. :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

Fights broke out, weaves were snatched, no one ever had that kind of impact EVER :groovin_dance_clap_alien_monster_party_costume_Halloween_spooky_scary:

Edited by Midnight
  • Haha 8
  • Like 1

I wanna be there when you touch fire

• Super Mods

It was well received, like her life might’ve been a mess but I remember people were receptive of Blackout. I remember there was a forum that provided free downloads and people said that despite being Britney Spears, the album is really good. 

• Like 4

fagsindubai-paris-hilton-carrying-the-ic

I remember Paris being photographed with it. This pic was in several magazines 😂 How cute is it that Paris was out and about carrying around Britney’s album?! That’s a real friend lol. 

The album was EVERYTHING for me honestly. And I remember that it SHOULD have gone number one. At the time, Billboard blocked cds that were store exclusives from being included on Billboard hot 100- The Eagles had just put out a Walmart exclusive CD. The week that Britney should have debuted at #1 in the US, they changed the rules, and gave the Eagles the #1… I’m still a little bitter and haunted when I hear Hotel California :disappointed_thinking_oh_okay_glasses:

• Like 3

The album itself wasn’t huge because the events happening in her life unfortunately overshadowed the release. There was zero promotion. 

However, Gimme More and Piece of Me both were huge on radio and at the clubs. Piece of Me being the bigger hit IMO. 

• Like 9

If you ask me, only us fans and music critics were aware of the album. The media and the GP were focused on all her problems at the time.

But every music critic was aware of it, and reviews were pretty good from the start.

The leaks... omg, the leaks... They made me leak. I think that's when the term "Britmas" originated.

2 hours ago, patr!ckjean said:

I went to Walmart to purchase it the day of release, it was like late afternoon and the associate literally had to go in the back to get a copy cause they hadn’t even bothered putting the albums out yet :embarrassed_britney_2007_red_hide_ashamed_cover:

Did you burn the place down afterwards? Did you?? THE DISRESPECT! :liar_red_mad_angry_anger_yell_slap:

• Haha 3