What if Britney wanted to work with Will.i.am for Britney Jean

The problem really wasn’t Will.I.Am it was the label and her team. You can tell BJ was originally meant to be a personal album like it was advertised, but the label wanted something more commercial so a lot of it was scrapped last minute for “hits” and because they were running out of time and Britney was busy they used Myah to fill in and just added Britney to all the writing credits to make it seem “personal”.  I mean Perfume, Don’t Cry, Brightest Morning Star, and Hold On Tight I think are all part of the original concept and we know that Britney in fact did write BMS....also Don’t Cry and Perfume are two of the very few tracks that are Myah free. 

• Love 4

My problem isn’t with Will.i.am personally as I think he is a decent guy and he’s stuck up for Britney recently. I liked his stuff in the Black Eyed Peas but I just think for him to be executive producer of Britney Jean was just a bad idea. 

Having him alter the work of an artistic genius like William Orbit just seemed wrong. The direction of the album was just generic junk and not that of a global artist like Britney.

I’m not 100% on just how much control her got over the album but songs like It Should Be Easy are just trash and not Britney. I think the full album was rushed to coincide with the Las Vegas residency and they cut so many corners. It may well be that Will.i.am was just trying to make do with the time he had. 

I don’t think anything was saving Britney Jean. 2013 would have been the perfect time to release a GH to coincide with the residency rather than a full new album where she probably wouldn’t perform most of the material anyway. Seemed like a waste.

• Love 5

even if nowadays I THINK (and the accent is I THINK) that the album is well you know what i wanna say (yeah i wanna say its ,S,) i think somewhat the album is a perfect whole oh and also the album shows that Britney and will.i.am are talented in my opinion. even if yet i think they produced ,S,

it is just no a healthy album to listen to

but i must still say it creates a beautiful whole and it has its concept

i think that

so i think the album is not very good but its still talented

the fact that it is ,S, doesn't make it an untalented album, just that the direction is bad

you must confess there is no other album that stylistically compares to this

Id' say Britney Jean album is unique but hard to listen to

i remember when i thought its good to listen to but listening a lot it didn't really make me happy. okay it kinda did but its just not a high energy stuff out there. but i don't want to call it the worst album ever in every effing way, its far from that

• Like 1

Hold on tight, this is going to be a long post. Contrary to popular belief, BJ sound was the trend in 2012/2013. Will, 2 years before BJ, along with BEP were at the peak of their career... leaving behind the  massive global success that was the END/Beginning era, which spawned multiple hits like I Gotta Feeling and of course let them headline the Super Bowl 🏈. It was a natural step for an artist like Brit to collaborate with someone whose sound was so popular and was at the top of their game.

At first the two experimented with BFB and then S&S with Will being Team Britney’s advisor on X Factor US. There was chemistry between the two. However, because of the lack of a better creative direction and because Britney did not seem to want to be involved much in her artistry, her team probably wanted a safe choice to kick off her next era. This would maximise commercial success in a time when her career was already beyond 15 years and a decline was expected.

back to the sound of BJ... I’m not trying to defend the album because it def lacks polish and the production is not up to standard. However in its defense, the futuristic robotic vocals and layering are not unheard of 🤖. In fact this was a staple BEP sound.  This sound and production were so successful, it put them at the forefront just two years before BJ so when they tapped Will he probably thought “This should be eeeeasy”. 

It helped that BEP are a four member band while Britney was well, just Britney. I assume this, coupled with Britney’s lack of involvement, created a problem for Will and was forced to resort to another artist to fill in the gaps. Enter Myah Marie. Britney was probably well on her way to prepare for Vegas residency, leaving poor Will on his own to stitch together an “album”. It wasn’t easy after all. The rest is history.

We all know it’s her least personal album but her marketing team wanted a buzzword to associate the era with and help push more copies, which failed miserably. I find it funny that the lead single of BJ is Called Work B* when it is obvious that, out of all her albums, the least amount of work was put into BJ 😭

• Love 2
  • Like 1
39 minutes ago, bas che said:

Hold on tight, this is going to be a long post. Contrary to popular belief, BJ sound was the trend in 2012/2013. Will, 2 years before BJ, along with BEP were at the peak of their career... leaving behind the  massive global success that was the END/Beginning era, which spawned multiple hits like I Gotta Feeling and of course let them headline the Super Bowl 🏈. It was a natural step for an artist like Brit to collaborate with someone whose sound was so popular and was at the top of their game.

At first the two experimented with BFB and then S&S with Will being Team Britney’s advisor on X Factor US. There was chemistry between the two. However, because of the lack of a better creative direction and because Britney did not seem to want to be involved much in her artistry, her team probably wanted a safe choice to kick off her next era. This would maximise commercial success in a time when her career was already beyond 15 years and a decline was expected.

back to the sound of BJ... I’m not trying to defend the album because it def lacks polish and the production is not up to standard. However in its defense, the futuristic robotic vocals and layering are not unheard of 🤖. In fact this was a staple BEP sound.  This sound and production were so successful, it put them at the forefront just two years before BJ so when they tapped Will he probably thought “This should be eeeeasy”. 

It helped that BEP are a four member band while Britney was well, just Britney. I assume this, coupled with Britney’s lack of involvement, created a problem for Will and was forced to resort to another artist to fill in the gaps. Enter Myah Marie. Britney was probably well on her way to prepare for Vegas residency, leaving poor Will on his own to stitch together an “album”. It wasn’t easy after all. The rest is history.

We all know it’s her least personal album but her marketing team wanted a buzzword to associate the era with and help push more copies, which failed miserably. I find it funny that the lead single of BJ is Called Work B* when it is obvious that, out of all her albums, the least amount of work was put into BJ 😭

Beautiful explanation. I legit felt like I was going back to grade 7 re living the END/beginning eras, and then you transported me to my 11th grade year with your descriptions of the EDM stuff. It’s very true that this was the sound of the times 

I would’ve preferred though if she had more creative control in curating the sound as she has in prior releases. I really wish they could’ve revisited an older BEP sound given that it Monkey Business was partially inspired by In the Zone 

• Love 1

Honestly it’s a good album! 

the only problem with album was poor single performance. I remember when Work ***** was released ..every one was criticizing it. but now it’s ionic

perfume under performed because they scrapped the original video as usual because they don’t want a big controversy before POM.  No further singles were not released. Also it was a bad move to allow streaming album before its release . Otherwise Album would have debut at number 1

Alien, Don’t Cry, Hold on tight, now that I find you, passenger, Tik tik boom, brightest morning star are good.

Chilling with you is the only song I felt shouldn’t have made to the cut. 

it will be appreciated again if Britney releases an acoustic or live version of the album.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kfitz421 said:

None of us know what happened. All the Will hate / easily blaming every problem of the album on him is a little racist tbh :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

Oh I hope I didn’t come off that way. I quite like his early stuff with Black Eyed Peas 

I agree that it is a tad racial and easy to blame him just because of executive producing. We didn’t treat the girl who executively saw the production private show, so you might have a real point. I think on the other hand however, it could also be because he did a lot of the talking during her promo on Ryan Secreast, and perhaps unintentionally assumed more responsibility for its production. He obviously wasn’t going to say they had little time to record though, and Britney wasn’t gonna talk about it in such detail so I don’t know why they even scheduled this interview.

Not to mention, William Orbit’s subtweet about Alien’s glitch

15 hours ago, Rick101 said:

Beautiful explanation. I legit felt like I was going back to grade 7 re living the END/beginning eras, and then you transported me to my 11th grade year with your descriptions of the EDM stuff. It’s very true that this was the sound of the times 

I would’ve preferred though if she had more creative control in curating the sound as she has in prior releases. I really wish they could’ve revisited an older BEP sound given that it Monkey Business was partially inspired by In the Zone 

I agree Dirty Bit and the other BEP singles got real old real fast while Dont Phunk with my Heart became classics. I personally don’t have a problem with Will in 2013; apart from S&S he gave us collaborations with Miley Cyrus “Feelin’ Myself” and CL’s “Gettin’ Dumb”.

Apart from Toxic influencing DPWMH do we know if Monkey Business has any other tracks that sound similar to ITZ? I’m curious. 

• Love 1