Why is Taylor Swift called the music industry?

2 hours ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

Because she sells more than any other artist releasing, continously breaks her own records, recieves both fan and critical acclaim, fights for the rights of other artists leading to change, engages her fans etc etc.

People keep saying she "plays victim", how and to who? But ultimately, that doesn't sell music enough to make her a sales force, touring force or win a critics response.

Yaassss

I don't know why it is so conflictive for some to accept two different aspects can be true. Yes. She uses and weaponizes her fans and yes she is very savvy in how she has crafter her narrative. Yes, she is capable of filling stadiums up and yes she has been exploitative of her exes many times. Yes she is smart and of course she has played the victim card more than once. All of those things are true. 

• Like 2

To say that she has not influenced the direction of music, not only for the listener, but most importantly, for the artist, the songwriter, the musician, the producer and the entirety of the team that go unnoticed in the background behind some of the biggest hits/albums would be ludicrous. This is just one reason why she is considered an impact in the "music industry." Of course, those that are clouded by their own disbelief that she is all about herself and making millions for herself will say otherwise, but with a platform that she has, she can bring changes to not only herself but for all other artists/musicians/songwriters that don't have a platform to be heard.

• Love 6
  • Like 1

She forced Spotify to change their payments of artists and songwriters, she forced apple Music to pay artists during the 3 month free trial, to which she granted 1989 as an exclusive there. 

When her catalog was reuploaded on spotify, Spotify gave artists a two week premium exclusive on new releases..

Her Universal Music contract allows other artists to own their masters now. 

Olivia Rodrigo, actually owns her Music thanks to Taylor swift and her universal Music deal, and if universal Music sells their public shares on spotify, the money goes to all artist's  

Outside Prince, nobody made the Music industry fix pay rates and royalties the way Taylor swift has. 

• Love 6
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, mythology said:

Taylor is much more successful than our fave:crying2_britney_crying_tears_2003_diane_sobbing_sad:

And as much as we love Britney, Taylor is also probably taken more seriously and is probably more respected, oddly both were 16, and had to deal with dodgy press, I just don't get it, both handled it well, but different outcomes. 

Britney was more private, but as a public figure the anonymity she craved was taken away from her, I just hope when she is free, The press gives the anonymity back. 

Taylor probably realized you have to play the fame game, and anonymity is the first thing to go away, everybody knows your name, who you date, what you like or dislike. 

Ince you're a public figure, you lose anonymity and basically privacy, add social media, you don't have anymore privacy. 

@Easy There

@Jordan Miller

@Midnight

@PokemonSpears

Britney never wanted the anonymity gone, she wanted to  entertain but be Britney Jean, but as Michael Jackson sang in The price of fame, that's the first thing to go away when fame and fortune happen.

Privacy and anonymity.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Spicechinodiva said:

And as much as we love Britney, Taylor is also probably taken more seriously and is probably more respected, oddly both were 16, and had to deal with dodgy press, I just don't get it, both handled it well, but different outcomes. 

Britney was more private, but as a public figure the anonymity she craved was taken away from her, I just hope when she is free, The press gives the anonymity back. 

Taylor probably realized you have to play the fame game, and anonymity is the first thing to go away, everybody knows your name, who you date, what you like or dislike. 

Ince you're a public figure, you lose anonymity and basically privacy, add social media, you don't have anymore privacy. 

@Easy There

@Jordan Miller

@Midnight

@PokemonSpears

Britney never wanted the anonymity gone, she wanted to  entertain but be Britney Jean, but as Michael Jackson sang in The price of fame, that's the first thing to go away when fame and fortune happen.

Privacy and anonymity.  

as I usually say with this kind of comparisons, it's really hard to tell, because they come from very different eras, even if it was just a few years apart.

We'll never know how things would've been if Taylor was the one coming out in 1998 and Britney the one coming out in the late 00's. 

Taylor, as any other artist that came after Britney, had Britney's example, and to a lesser extent, the example of some other artists, to learn the do's and don'ts about everything from career choices, like picking the producers and music video directors, to how to handle their personal affairs with the media. 

Not to take away from Taylor's merit, but it's undeniable that Britney took the bullet, so to speak, and all the artists after her didn't have to go that path. The media kind of took a turn after they were done destroying Britney, suddenly they started being more "compassionate" to future artists, and unless they were purposefully doing messy things to get a bad press, like Justin Bieber, they all had it so much easier than Britney did.

About taking someone more seriously than the other, I really don't know. The US has always paid dust to Britney, even during her peak. Whereas in the rest of the world, in most places, Britney Spears is considered this ultimate superstar, and very respected artist, the US has like this fixation with songwriting being all that matters and everything else is taken for granted: the dancing, the performance skills, the looks, the charisma, etc. 

There was also this shift in the main audiences as well. When Britney came out, she was probably considered too young to be respected as a true artist. But when audiences rapidly changed a few years later, she was suddenly considered too old to be cool, and the new audiences favored these newer, younger artists. Unless they were Beyoncé or something. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

as I usually say with this kind of comparisons, it's really hard to tell, because they come from very different eras, even if it was just a few years apart.

We'll never know how things would've been if Taylor was the one coming out in 1998 and Britney the one coming out in the late 00's. 

Taylor, as any other artist that came after Britney, had Britney's example, and to a lesser extent, the example of some other artists, to learn the do's and don'ts about everything from career choices, like picking the producers and music video directors, to how to handle their personal affairs with the media. 

Not to take away from Taylor's merit, but it's undeniable that Britney took the bullet, so to speak, and all the artists after her didn't have to go that path. The media kind of took a turn after they were done destroying Britney, suddenly they started being more "compassionate" to future artists, and unless they were purposefully doing messy things to get a bad press, like Justin Bieber, they all had it so much easier than Britney did.

About taking someone more seriously than the other, I really don't know. The US has always paid dust to Britney, even during her peak. Whereas in the rest of the world, in most places, Britney Spears is considered this ultimate superstar, and very respected artist, the US has like this fixation with songwriting being all that matters and everything else is taken for granted: the dancing, the performance skills, the looks, the charisma, etc. 

There was also this shift in the main audiences as well. When Britney came out, she was probably considered too young to be respected as a true artist. But when audiences rapidly changed a few years later, she was suddenly considered too old to be cool, and the new audiences favored these newer, younger artists. Unless they were Beyoncé or something. 

The songwriting aspect I believe was due to The likes of Janet Jackson, Madonna and Mariah Carey as they allowed you into their world, and each album was treated as a journal into what they were feeling..

I think you can be both, but I also noticed Britney and of course Ashlee Simpson made it now unacceptable to lip sync, especially Ashlee played a huge part in killing that one as it basically derailed her career in all aspects of entertainment. 

Though Ashlee has since revealed the treatment she endured by the public and the industry was brutal that it led to a serious depression and her mentally believing she wasn't talented or had anything to offer the world. 

@Easy There we need an apology thread to Ashlee, as she played a huge role in both sisters being cancelled by the industry, Jessica went to fashion. 

But, critics noted The divorce and the controversial Ashlee incident also damaged Jessica commercial appeal as well..

@SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN

• Like 2
6 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Very true. I dont think people outside of the US honestly care about the lip-syncing aspect or such parts of Britney's career. Her name is very much respected outside of the US and we don't see her as a washed up 2000s fad like the US does, so theres that.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block