Looking back at JC Chasez's career sabotage

6 hours ago, bluestrawberry51 said:

For me the part of Justin goes to his character, since HE was the one who wanted the break in the first place then HE should have been the one to insist going back in the studio with the group as he promised. HE should have had their back, treated them with some damn respect but instead he was looking out for himself only. The super bowl and Britney situations reinforced that. He's a ****. JC was ruined and frankly all of them were, who knows what their careers could have been. It's really sad. I wouldn't be surprised if they intentionally avoid him and just play nice for the public. I personally would be resentful. :4music_britney_2013_uk_annoyed_irritated_mad:

And now I'll be jamming to this ::bparty_piece_of_me_pom_britney_clubbing_blackout_2007_dancing_dance:

I hate the rap but 🤷🏻‍♀️

I agree, I think it was low and I don’t know why he did it. Probably to have a Plan B in case his career wouldn’t work/avoid fans hating him for ruining the band? I think people don’t talk enough about this, the way he left the band is unusual and kind of coward. There is nothing wrong on quitting the band to follow your dreams :ehidk_britney_um_eek: Geri did it, Zayn did it, Jesy did it... The difference? They all got hate for it, they took a risk and faced the good and the bad. Justin had the cake and ate it too :sipney_britney_starbucks_straw_sipping_drinking_spill:

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Look But Don't Touch said:

Who tf is geri halliwell

You have to be kidding but in case you aren’t...

5NM7JIJ2ORGTZCTTR7YBJ3J7PU.jpg

She is Ginger Spice. She’s a pop icon, spawned hits with the Spice Girls and by herself. :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink: Stream Schizophonic and Schizophrenic and Borderline by Brandy if you don’t know who she is either :bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, boyinthemirror said:

You have to be kidding but in case you aren’t...

5NM7JIJ2ORGTZCTTR7YBJ3J7PU.jpg

She is Ginger Spice. She’s a pop icon, spawned hits with the Spice Girls and by herself. :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink: Stream Schizophonic and Schizophrenic and Borderline by Brandy if you don’t know who she is either :bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

Im european and young i dont know these people even if they are from uk lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 12:03 PM, JamesRodriguez said:

I just interviewed one of the songwriters who worked on a track with JC, she mentioned how he was lovely to work with and totally underrated as an artist.  

ooh who is it?

On 5/6/2021 at 1:36 PM, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

:omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised:

It is pretty awful what happened to him, but on the other hand, I understand why their label would push JT over him. I don't know if music is his passion, but it clearly doesn't seem to be the case since he never put out another album ever again. I hope he is happy with whatever he is doing these days. I'll continue to thirst after his shirtless pics on google. 

Music is def still his passion, just not the performing part of it anymore :(.  He's still writing for other artists and has written stuff for k-pop groups, Girls Aloud, Sugababes, and also being a dog dad lol. He was going to be in a touring production of Jesus Christ Superstar several years ago with Brandon Boyd from Incubus and Michelle from Destiny's Child, but it was canceled during the start of rehearsals, smh he has awful luck.

On 5/6/2021 at 1:38 PM, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

OMG I just stalked his instagram and he looks about 50. What happened to him? lol

lol tbf here's what he looked like pre-corona at the Elton John Oscars party

On 5/7/2021 at 12:25 PM, PZHSB said:

His career is what Justin’s would have  been without Britney. JC had some solid songs on his debut. Jive tried hard to promote him but he didn’t have the stage presence to sell the music. Britney helped him with promo while he opened for her.  I wish he would produce more. He’s a talented guy. 

No stage presence? haha I beg to differ

tumblr_ohbag8oz3w1voyxp1o1_250.gifvtumblr_ohbag8oz3w1voyxp1o2_250.gifvtumblr_lzl6titlEh1qfng7yo2_250.gifv

if you've seen NSYNC performances, homeboy was always giving 110% and belting those E5 notes at the same time. 

On 5/7/2021 at 9:20 PM, Forever222 said:

I have some thoughts. I bought JC’s album

and watched irl, how his career didn’t take off. :crying4_britney_crying_stages_tears_sad:

The fact that Justin, Jive and Johnny (especially) kept the 4 guys in the dark for so long (2002-2005) impacted their moves right from the gate. Maybe the guys should Have been more switched on. But it’s clear Jive didn’t want to impact Justin’s solo Chance and left the door open to nsync only if Justin failed. They could have had 2 successful  solo artists from nsync. They should have given JC second album a real chance, it wasn't even RnB and wouldn’t have impacted Justin at all during his break after Justified.  :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

I hope a real reunion of some sort eventually does come, but with JC being the alleged holdout at this point only a surprise set at a future Justin concert is probably the most realistic imo. Or charity concert?  

The rumours of a residency in Vegas have died sadly. My speculation is JC won’t do it without Justin and JC will only do it as a meaningful event. The best thing is Justin might be open to it now more than ever because his reputation has fallen and he needs an ego /PR boost. 

And to this day JT still wants to act like NSYNC’s breakup wasn’t a big deal and that the other guys pretty much knew it was over.

https://www.bustle.com/entertainment/justin-timberlake-insists-the-nsync-breakup-wasnt-a-surprise

I’m glad Lance and Joey have told their sides of the story. There's an Instagram account that is piecing together the pieces of the hiatus puzzle and it's quite interesting. It looks like every time the guys were supposed to regroup to discuss business, JT was on tour. I'm not sure what the four other guys could have done if the label was telling them to keep their schedules open for NSYNC. Lance talked about having to pass up opportunities right? But he, Joey, and JC didn't just sit around waiting and doing nothing. Lance still has his production company bags going and same for Joey and hosting TV shows, JC and his songwriting. Their manager Johnny Wright (who also last month commented on Janet's IG randomly and told her to forgive Justin, the audacity) was shady to keep the four in the dark so JT could rise. And then you have Jive's CEO and Justin's biggest champion trying to pin the group's dissolution on Lance wanting to become an astronaut *facepalm*, when Lance going to space was never a guarantee and he even made sure to fit his training within the original time frame of an expected regrouping. When NSYNC first took a break, there wasn't any mention of JT officially doing a solo album until he confirmed it himself in June of '02, and by then I'm sure his record was almost done. 

If these rumors are true JT also held up the guys from putting out another album so they had to work around that by using old demos. I’ve heard tea the guys had offers for residencies/tours in the past, but JT wanted to be paid 2x whatever his band mates got, plus Chris allegedly wasn’t into the idea of a reunion as a foursome (he loves him some JT), until after they did Coachella with Ariana and got a good reception. 

As for JC being the one blocking a reunion from happening, there was this from a gossip column before corona shut everything down. I think he makes an easy culprit because he is the most private out of all the guys. When he went on Lance’s podcast last year and Lance asked him about the possibility of reuniting, JC gave the same “I’m not saying no, not saying yes” answer that each of his band mates also gave. When Lance interviewed JT, JT said he was “open to discussing a reunion” with the other four, and I guess NSYNC fans interpreted that to mean “JT isn’t the one preventing a reunion, it’s JC because he’s bitter about his solo career/jealous of JT’s success” etc. I don’t put much stock in that considering most of the people who blame JC are JT stans who are tired of seeing JT dragged by the general public. JC was also present for Lance's birthday zoom last year, while JT wasn't. I also feel like JC has done more to interact with NSYNC fans in recent years like when they got their Walk of Fame star or when he RT'ed fans for the 20th anniversary of No Strings Attached album. 

https://****yeahjcchasez.tumblr.com/post/173375644494/jc-and-lance-at-the-pop-up-shop-for-an-interview

If JT's currently working on another album and doing a TV show on Apple, then I don't expect he would be interested in reunion stuff for now.

Lastly, I <3 how JC's always had such positive things to say about Brit. 

• Love 3
On 5/7/2021 at 5:04 PM, PZHSB said:

The first single was heavily promoted. He was everywhere pushing it. They even bought a clear channel deal for the first week of the release of Some girls dance with women. The problem was the song wasn’t radio friendly and after JTs nipplegate no one wanted to take the risk on booking him. The second single choice was an even bigger disaster. He tried to go the overly $exual route and it didn’t work for his image. They gave JC more promo than say Jennifer Love Hewitt who released an album a year earlier. He just didn’t have what it took to shine with Justin getting all the press from Britney and Janet. 

How come the label didn’t pick a more radio-friendly song then? She Got Me could’ve been a fine single, or did that sound too close to what JT was doing and therefore he couldn’t pick that? The interview with the producer in the vid in OP’s post says JC wasn’t even sure about Some Girls and ADLIDAS going on the album, but the label pushed for them as singles. They also wanted to get more big-name producers but the label didn’t give them the budget. A label that wanted JC to succeed would have chosen Build My World as a single because it’s a ballad, but afaik it was never made a single. Getting a Clear Channel deal for spins is like the bare minimum, doesn’t every artist need that if they want radio airplay? If Jive spent more on Justin’s Grammy performance than they did on JC’s entire tour support, then JC can’t be faulted for that. Also a guy who worked on NSYNC’s tours as well as JC’s tour straight up said the label didn’t want to support JC. If he had the label’s support and still didn’t do well, then there’d be more validity to the claims he just didn’t have what it takes, but for his planned second album (which I believe will be covered in part 2 of that vid) he did exactly what Jive asked of him and recorded more pop-friendly songs, yet they still treated him badly.

• Love 2

This situation really irks me. JC Chazez was and still is a much better singer than Justin Timberlake. He could have had a very successful solo career. I believe that Jive records sensed that he had the potential to be better and more liked than Justin and made a deliberate effort to sabotage his career. They didn’t give him access to the best song writers and producers who could have created songs that capitalized on his strengths. Additionally Jive made sure that his album received little to no promotion. It’s truly unfair and cruel.

Justin Timberlake is notoriously manipulative and he probably made sure that Jive was on his side. He probably distances himself from JC and the band due to unresolved guilt about his role in sabotaging their solo careers. 

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Regarding Jive Records, when JT went on his promo rounds to promote Justified and infamously admitted to a radio DJ he slept with Britney, when Framing Britney came out, that same radio DJ spoke about that incident on his show. He says Jive reps were present in the studio when JT made the Britney comment and the reps loved it, they even gave him Britney plaques. :fu_britney_flipping_off_finger_mad:

Part starts at 6:22.

I think Jive’s business strategy really led to their demise by relying mostly on Justin and Britney as their cash cows. They probably expected they’d get an album from each of them every year, and didn’t foresee JT trying to become Ryan Gosling or Britney needing time off.

On 5/20/2021 at 6:32 PM, Alexa James said:

This situation really irks me. JC Chazez was and still is a much better singer than Justin Timberlake. He could have had a very successful solo career. I believe that Jive records sensed that he had the potential to be better and more liked than Justin and made a deliberate effort to sabotage his career. They didn’t give him access to the best song writers and producers who could have created songs that capitalized on his strengths. Additionally Jive made sure that his album received little to no promotion. It’s truly unfair and cruel.

Justin Timberlake is notoriously manipulative and he probably made sure that Jive was on his side. He probably distances himself from JC and the band due to unresolved guilt about his role in sabotaging their solo careers. 

Sad that Justin can pretend like he was never in NSYNC, while the other 4 members basically have to play nice publicly and can’t say anything bad about him.

On 5/9/2021 at 12:27 AM, boyinthemirror said:

I agree, I think it was low and I don’t know why he did it. Probably to have a Plan B in case his career wouldn’t work/avoid fans hating him for ruining the band? I think people don’t talk enough about this, the way he left the band is unusual and kind of coward. There is nothing wrong on quitting the band to follow your dreams :ehidk_britney_um_eek: Geri did it, Zayn did it, Jesy did it... The difference? They all got hate for it, they took a risk and faced the good and the bad. Justin had the cake and ate it too :sipney_britney_starbucks_straw_sipping_drinking_spill:

right, if he wanted to leave to go solo, then fine, but at least be more transparent about it with your band mates 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block