"Toxic" songwriter Cathy Dennis says it was originally written for Janet Jackson

51 minutes ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

Kylie, Janet, Britney.. So, for whom was toXic originally written for?  :lostney_britney_what_confused_huh_who_looking_around_glory:

As I understand this story thus far;  Toxic was written with Janet in mind, offered to but ultimately turned down by Kylie Minogue, then given to Britney. 

Honestly if I really think about it, I kinda see how Toxic could fit into a 'Damito Jo' era kind of sound if Janet had recorded it. It's obvious why Kylie Minogue turned it down though because the song doesn't really fit with her aesthetically. 

• Love 2

Like being real and major respect to Cathy but who the f cares. Its a Britney song and it will forever be a Britney song, no-one could of done toxic as iconic as Britney in that time period.

Also Cathy coming up with all these artists Toxic was originally for makes it sound like it was constantly rejected till Britney saved it :weusay_tiffany_cackle_cackling_chuckle_giggle_lol_haha_hehe_laugh:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Not to take away from some of the impact Janet Jackson had on Britney Spears' career, but 'Toxic' was never written for Janet Jackson.

In that widely circulated quote, Cathy Dennis clearly says: "“That was written in Sweden with Bloodshy & Avant [Christian Karlsson and Pontus Winnberg] and Henrik Jonback. I went over there to write with Janet Jackson in mind. I was there for about ten days in total. I’d had a meeting with Janet, I think in London, but it may have been in New York. I thought I’d have a go at writing something that would work for her and it didn’t come out at the time."

https://ivorsacademy.com/info_advice/perfect-pop-cathy-dennis-interview/

She then says "We did have this song Toxic, though."  And 'Toxic', of course, was originally offered to Kylie Minogue.

Let's not forget in that same writing session Cathy Dennis also wrote 'Sweet Dreams My La Ex", which sounds VERY similar to 'Toxic', and also wasn't written for Janet Jackson either...

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Alestaos said:

Also Cathy coming up with all these artists Toxic was originally for makes it sound like it was constantly rejected till Britney saved it

Britney Spears, Princess of Pop, Living Legend, Star of Iconic Music Videos, Best Actress in a High School Valedictorian Role, Maker of Music Video Directors, Bride #1 to Madonna, and Savior of Would-Be-Hits-Turned-Down-By-Other-Popstars. :comingthru_britney_circus_2008_boobs_chest_smile_walking_hat_happy:

• Haha 3
Spoiler

Like being real and major respect to Cathy but who the f cares.

It's just an interesting story, and it's not like she being shady LOL. Songs get rejected and passed around all the time in the music industry, like, do you know how many songs written FOR Britney Spears were turned down to later become someone else's bop.

So it was written for Janet, offered and turned down by Kylie which rumors say that at that  point is was like a balad and then given do Britney who decided it was best to tunr into an uptempo bop. What a run... none of the others would've achieve success with the tune besides Britney. But that's just how the music industry works anyway, Britney singing Umbrella or Milkshake would've been weird af :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Alestaos said:

Like being real and major respect to Cathy but who the f cares. Its a Britney song and it will forever be a Britney song, no-one could of done toxic as iconic as Britney in that time period.

Also Cathy coming up with all these artists Toxic was originally for makes it sound like it was constantly rejected till Britney saved it :weusay_tiffany_cackle_cackling_chuckle_giggle_lol_haha_hehe_laugh:

True.  I mean everyone conveniently forgets that 'Can't Get You Out of My Head' was originally written for S Club 7 and was also turned down by Sophie Ellis-Bextor before being offered to Kylie Minogue.

Britnry is Toxic .. Toxic is Britney. It defines her as an artist and as a performer. The song was made for HER since Kylie turned it down. 

And for the confused people , she said she wrote it "Janet in mind" the same way Umbrella was written for Britney in mind. Lota of songs were initially created for particular artists.