Was Britney one of the most hated celebrities back in her prime? Why?

Blackout2006

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Answer to your question: Because people see it as "cool" to hate on beautiful women, add to the fact that she's straight, cisgender and white PLUS the voice she sings with on her biggest hits is very soft it makes it easy for haters to throw around allegations around her (Like so many haters allege that Britney is racist, homophobic, etc. :queenflopga_pink_sass_walking_away_bye:) . 

All of those factors combine to make her an easy target to online haters, they like to pretend Britney is just some "dumb blonde white pop star who got to where she is by being rich" even if that is not the case at all because she was NOT rich before she started her career. They want to see Britney as the same way people saw Marilyn Monroe and go "Oh she never writes any of her songs" but when you show how many songs she's written they say "Oh but she can't write a hit song!" and then when you prove them wrong and show her that she literally composed a global hit then they bring up 2007. 

I don't think she will ever get the respect she deserves unless she.... never mind. Come 50 years from now and I think she will be remember the same way that Marilyn Monroe is remembered. 

(I don't know why I'm responding to this because I myself was not born when Britney was in her prime but I have an answer. :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile: )

Yes, pretty much. The world turned on her after her breakup with Justin especially. Accusing her of being the villain in the situation. But also, people don’t stand someone so perfect with such a great energy, who has it all, so pure and talented, for too long. So obviously they were gonna do all they can to bring her down.

12 minutes ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

The thing is though...even when Britney tried to “disappear” and go live happily ever after people still mocked her. When you have a failed marriage it burns. It hurts and I mean put yourself in her shoes. Hearing people cheer for her pain? Like yeah Kevin wasn’t good for her but still. She even says in FTR how hurt she was after her split with Kevin. 

Yeah even tho he wasnt the one, she still was horribly hurt thats for sure

2 hours ago, Damon said:

I'd say the love and affection for Britney has always outweighed any hatred across the board, but throughout her career, Britney has been hated for a myriad of reasons. 

To begin with, the main reason for the hatred was her image being too **** and controversial for her young fans. Her image was considered highly inappropriate and this angered parents unbelievably so. They believed she was a terrible role model for their young children and was "everything wrong with America". 

Further hatred then came around the time she split with JT - not only did this breakup cause a huge shift in her public image and the way she was perceived, but it was also around the time pop music was seen as "uncool" and people's tastes were shifting more towards rock and R&B. It was then uncool to like Britney's "superficial image" and musical output - people hopped ship to Avril Lavigne etc.

One of the biggest turning points, however, was when she started dating K-Fed and the years that followed. The Vegas wedding, the barefoot scandal, dressing like K-Fed along with Chaotic turned Britney into a trashy figure. People hated her and considered her a talentless hillbilly by this point. Not only did people see her as trashy, but she was overexposed, had oversaturated the tabloids and the general public were generally sick of her. She hated being in the limelight by this point and people HATED her being in the limelight. 

In the Matt Lauer interview, he asks who her audience would be if she was to release further music. At that time, it was a question everyone was asking. Who still listened to Britney Spears? Her teen audience had grown up. Children were no longer interested. Adults weren't interested. For quite a while, it seemed that her musical career was essentially dead and she was no longer relevant to any demographic. 

It's why a lot of fans feel like the breakdown, in a lot of ways, saved her career. It revitalised interest in her and solidified her status as an enduring pop culture icon. It's absolutely horrible to say that, but there's definitely some truth to it. For a long time, it felt like she'd come to the end of the road of her career with no turning back. 

(I feel like I went on a tangent there. What was your question?) :clownery_makeup_meme:

Although your comment has a lot of truth about overexposure, Britney never stopped being among the popular ones. :endit_sunglasses_fab_yas_queen: Even In the zone was much bigger than Under my skin. Clearly, the press said that he had already lost his career because there were no new songs to show that he was more than a teenage figure from the early 2000s. 
 If Britney's style was considered obsolete by the general public, then PCDs, Beyoncé, Fergie, or Nelly Furtado would not have been successful between 2005 and 2007. :schoolingtime_talking_telling_glasses_preaching:
 The press has always tried to downplay her legacy and call her a flop since Britney's launch, when in fact her sales were even higher than the average music market. :werk_britney_bw_black_white_dance_sexy_flirt_my_prerogative: 

Not for nothing was he still the most sought-after celebrity on the internet between 2005-2006. :bsass_britney_boys_nod:

She got a lot of hate, still does get some and I always though it was pathetic, there’s celebs I’m not fond of, so I simply pay them no mind, I’m not gonna waste my energy on someone I don’t like. 

As for the music snobs, they need to get a life, my iPod is filled with all different artists and genres, it would get really boring only listening to one kind of music.

Here is another one from 2004 talking about her **** image, what parents thought, she talks about being a role model to kids and much more 

Two parts Id like to stress to

23:23 In 1999 she was already talking about double standards when she says smt (feminist queen)

14:17 back then even Jessica Simpson was shading her saying Britney sold more bc she showed her body or danced. Then Jessica's record label made her lose weight, try to dance and copy Britney in every way from image to sound :imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde:

tbh people were really jealous of her success, fame and power. She was a teen and was already on the top of the world. Her looks also played a huge part on this bc boys wanted to be with her and girls wanted to be her so some were trying to say she wasnt that cute, was slutty or was fat (yeah, back in 1999 there were many girls saying they didnt know why she showed her belly so much if she wasnt even fit)

7 hours ago, Bundy said:

Here is another one from 2004 talking about her **** image, what parents thought, she talks about being a role model to kids and much more 

Two parts Id like to stress to

23:23 In 1999 she was already talking about double standards when she says smt (feminist queen)

14:17 back then even Jessica Simpson was shading her saying Britney sold more bc she showed her body or danced. Then Jessica's record label made her lose weight, try to dance and copy Britney in every way from image to sound :imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde:

tbh people were really jealous of her success, fame and power. She was a teen and was already on the top of the world. Her looks also played a huge part on this bc boys wanted to be with her and girls wanted to be her so some were trying to say she wasnt that cute, was slutty or was fat (yeah, back in 1999 there were many girls saying they didnt know why she showed her belly so much if she wasnt even fit)

Wow people were real jealous of her in the height of her fame so whenever they got the chance, they would tear her down :icant2_britney_nope_smh_head_shake_disappointed_everytime:

1 minute ago, Blackout2006 said:

Cant believe parents were actually boycotting her record just because of a magazine cover :nyheadache_miss_ny_new_york_tiffany_annoyed_head_rub_irritated_red_tired:

Oh well, anyways BOMT still sold 17 million copies by the end of 1999, so peace :queenflopga_pink_sass_walking_away_bye:

And became the best selling album by a teenager in history selling over 25 million copies :raven_thats_so_simone_talking_telling_preaching:

3 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Wow people were real jealous of her in the height of her fame so whenever they got the chance, they would tear her down :icant2_britney_nope_smh_head_shake_disappointed_everytime:

Tbh I still can see/feel a lot of hatred whenever shes on the news. if theres a story about her cship and kids, people feel the need to say a lot of **** like shes crazy, shes fat, a bad mom or that she has aged. She could never win, I truly believe Britney is one of those people that the majority will care to know about her even if its only to shade her. There are a lot of people that still love/support her, but there are also a lot that just hate her for basically everything, for just existing. Its really sick, it always has been this way. 

6 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

Yeah she was cause of alot of things from jealousy to conservative people being against her.

However the backlash became worse when she broke up with Justin and got with K-Trash

Sadly it wasnt until after her breakdown, that people started respecting her

I still doubt people respect her after her breakdown :sad_britney_ftr_for_the_record:

She is still made fun for what she went through in 2007, in the light of mental health, she is still being called crazy :wontcry_tears_crying_sad:

It's just the epitome of how misogyny runs through and through, like a poisonous gas throughout all of society. It's NORMAL to talk about a woman suffering like a joke. It's NORMAL to ridicule a woman being "crazy". It's NORMAL to terrorise a woman for not living up to the standard of perfection. And when she reaches it, society will have no trouble tearing you down via s*ut shaming, etc etc.

Archived