Lady Gaga's "911" short film: all the symbolism and imagery explained

First off STUNNING video. For those of you who don’t get it, the video is about life. Life is a giant choice. There’s always that devil and angel. The devil seduces you into believing you have to live in fear (why we make bad choices) and the angel shines the mirror back in your face and tells you to face yourself and all your problems. Eventually at the end of the video Gaga made her choice. She wanted to go back and face her problem which was a terrible car accident. The Chromatica 3 interlude suggests rising from the ashes. Sine From Above showcases strength. Her sign or “sine” was the accident and the realm in Chromatica she went to. Her artistry is bold and honestly this is the stuff that will solidify her legacy in pop. 911 and this video is definitely reminiscent of older Gaga but what’s interesting to me is that she can’t hop far away from that narrative because she’s always compared to Madonna. She kind of touched on that with Babylon. “Ripped that song.” I think Gaga is pop royalty but I don’t know where she fits. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1

For the people who don't understand the video, it's very simple... It tries to represent the state of Unconsciousness (In this case after the accident) and battling between death and life... if you watch carefully all people in the first part of video are represented at the end too, doing the same actions: polices, the nurse, the helicopter, fireman, the dead man and the woman crying, etc... It tries to show how reality (the people in the accident) can get mixed with fantasy (Gaga mind uses enviorment things as fantasy fuel, like the cinema, the ad, etc)... It's a really interesting concept and very well excuted... I love how it represent the Nurse and Cop saving her life in the Fantasy side of the video

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, PuertoRicosFinest said:

Garbage.  Won’t be listening to this song again with such sick negativity attached to it now. She learned nothing from her negative trash with R.kelly and art pop.  She should’ve stayed canceled. How can she offer such darkness to her fans.  Then again, if they’re Gaga fans they will probably eat this up.  

911 is about struggling with yourself :nyheadache_miss_ny_new_york_tiffany_annoyed_head_rub_irritated_red_tired:

"My biggest enemy is me, pop a 911" should've already given you that clue :nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus:

The whole Chromatica album is about escapism :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams:

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

911 is about struggling with yourself :nyheadache_miss_ny_new_york_tiffany_annoyed_head_rub_irritated_red_tired:

"My biggest enemy is me, pop a 911" should've already given you that clue :nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus:

The whole Chromatica album is about escapism :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams:

I guess escapism for her, not for us.  Anyone suicidal watching that video on repeat will be sent over the edge.  She has no subtlety.  This was a very poor creative decision.  Chromatica canceled.

1 minute ago, PuertoRicosFinest said:

I guess escapism for her, not for us.  Anyone suicidal watching that video on repeat will be sent over the edge.  She has no subtlety.  This was a very poor creative decision.  Chromatica canceled.

What the- :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

Dear, this whole year has been the definition of **** , and people are using music as a FORM of escapism and this album is supposed to take people into a dancing world full of optimism, Gaga is an artist and has the right to choose her subject matter and what it will be about. Especially of something she feels, she has the right to express it through music.

You cannot cancel an album lmboo im donneeee :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

Thats so stupid, people said rock was the reason suicide in the 1980s in teens was in a all-time high. Does that make sense? Exactly! so then how can gaga be the responsibility, music is a form of escaping reality and thats what everyone wants right now, dont be delusional and be thinking the world rn is so beautiful

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.