Katy Perry's new album "Smile" garners mixed reviews

Invitation

I liked the album and it has some BOPS, still got 3 or 4 songs left but so far so good.

I do agree she hasn’t evolved from Teenage Dream and her cute candy pop, but it’s better than her evolving into a sound nobody likes (Gaga with Cheek To Cheek/Joanne for example). I liked Smile.

• Love 1
On 8/25/2020 at 8:42 PM, PickleSpears said:

I was excited for a new Katy album but I don't have high hopes. I really liked Teenage Dream and Prism but Witness was bad and so far the music from Smile has been bad. I feel like she's going crazy and off the rails or something... like something might be going on with her and I don't mean her pregnancy. Maybe it's karma for being so rude all these years.

I think this album is a watered down Teenage Dream, not as good but same sound. I liked it, its not a bad album.

On 8/27/2020 at 4:03 AM, popprison said:

How did Katy Perry go from videos with 600 m - 1 billion views to barely 30 million in just a couple years? It's like she lost her touch or the ear for making a hit song so fast

I think she should go all out with a dr.luke album

It’s not ear for a hit because this album is a Teenage Dream 2.0. But I think her being so uncool, cringe and weird during the Witness era kinda set her back.

• Like 1

I like 5-6 songs, but even then, I probably won’t play those very often. Although a lot of her music is repetitive, her past hits at least had that magic touch to validate the repetitiveness. Now it’s just for the sake of being catchy and ultimately it feels stale. I still have hope her next album will give us something better, but we’ll see 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Love 1
  • Like 1
On 8/25/2020 at 7:47 AM, Blackout2006 said:

This. I was shocked when i found out Stripped, one of the very best albums released of that decade which tackled issues such as sexism and racism, only recieved a 58% metacritic score. I was straight up ":umomg:". If a man were to release a album like Stripped, watch it get 78%+. It is itself, that the critics judge female albums because of their personal life and struggles otherwise Britneys album like ITZ and Blackout would have had much higher scores then they do right now.

I find Stripped to be a hypocritical album. :shameless: 

• Haha 2
On 8/25/2020 at 12:17 PM, bliss said:

I'm not surprised Smile is already getting dragged by critics since they never liked Katy but I truly don't understand why they don't like her... she writes all her songs (even some of them are all written by her), her production is amazing (especially from teenage dream) and she has a nice voice, for example I re-listened one of the boys yesterday and it's actually a good pop rock album a solid 7.5/10

I do think Smile is not a good album, but I agree there is a little bit of irrational dislike towards her at this point. People constantly say she is awful at singing and no, she is no Ariana Grande at all. Now, if you ask me, Katy is a better singer than Taylor. Trust me, Folklore is miles ahead of Smile and Taylor has a wider vision as an artist and creator, but if I judge them strictly on singing, I think Katy's voice has more inflexions and texture. And I am not even a fan of Perry. 

5 hours ago, Bigno said:

I do think Smile is not a good album, but I agree there is a little bit of irrational dislike towards her at this point. People constantly say she is awful at singing and no, she is no Ariana Grande at all. Now, if you ask me, Katy is a better singer than Taylor. Trust me, Folklore is miles ahead of Smile and Taylor has a wider vision as an artist and creator, but if I judge them strictly on singing, I think Katy's voice has more inflexions and texture. And I am not even a fan of Perry. 

On all her album reviews critics bring up Katy's personal life instead of focusing on the music... it's so weird they literally only do this with her they're objective with everyone else expect her

• Like 3
On 8/25/2020 at 3:29 AM, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Ouch, I read some of the reviews, and a lot of them are unncessarily nasty as if they were written by bitter Britney fans. Plus, a lot of them talk about things that have nothing to do with the album being good or not. :tina:

Britney fans aren't even the meanest ones to her, everyone seems to be forgetting about the Taylor Swift fans.

Their burying the hatchet was fake AF. So I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if she didn't pull some strings behind the scenes just to make herself look better in comparison.

1 hour ago, corpsetranger said:

It's for the better they're not focusing on the music. :madonna: You know the saying, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all :gimmemoar:

some people might not like the album but a critic giving it a 2/10 is just pure hatred... the album is AT LEAST a 4/10

• Haha 3
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block