Katy Perry's new album "Smile" garners mixed reviews

Invitation

7 hours ago, popprison said:

How did Katy Perry go from videos with 600 m - 1 billion views to barely 30 million in just a couple years? It's like she lost her touch or the ear for making a hit song so fast

I think she should go all out with a dr.luke album

she lost the gays after bon appetit and GP said no to her last releases

• Content Curators
2 hours ago, summer2summer said:

I dislike her for being horrible tpwards Britney but i do like some of her songs . Loved bon apetite . 

Im wondering how that Toxic inspired song sounds like? Anything close to toxic is welcome by me even from a hoerible person like her. 

Nothing sounded half as iconic as Toxic though. Did she say something was inspired by Toxic?

On 8/25/2020 at 11:25 AM, Blackout2006 said:

What!? :orangu:

Why is Teenage dream in the same score lane of Myah Marie Britney Jerm :lessons:

Get dem critics butt sued :lessons:

Honestly. Don’t pay them any attention. Why are music critics still deemed worthy to listen to? They’re probably old out of touch boomers who are biased to begin with. Rating music like this seems outdated. Music is so subjective to begin with. Like what you like. Enjoy what you enjoy and don’t even care what anyone else has to say. 

• Love 1
  • Leader

Clash dragged Smile for filth

Whether releasing 'Smile' so close to the anniversary of her most-loved album is a coincidence or not, Perry could really do without the comparisons as they show just how far she’s fallen. While 'Teenage Dream' beamed with vitality, melody, and the kind of *** appeal that veered more towards wholesome cheekiness rather than outright raunchiness, Smile leans on tired cliché and outdated dance-lite production.

This is why the first half of the record is like being stuck with someone who keeps talking about their emotions but will never let you in or tell you what’s actually wrong. It’s full of the kind of generic, empty platitudes that have kept P!nk with a roof over her head for over twenty years, like The Dalai Lama recast as a suburban Wine Mom. It’s easy to pick lyrics in isolation without context, but lines like “Every tear has been a lesson” and “There’s gotta be rain if I want the rainbows” are reductive and hackneyed. You’ll get more profundity and nuanced insight into the human condition from a fortune cookie.

Musically, Perry’s refusal to adapt to the times leaves her lagging behind. Put any of the songs on Smile up against recent releases from artists like Dua Lipa or Charli XCX, and it’s like she’s from a bygone generation. Any of its tracks could happily sit on a commercial radio playlist from 2004 without raising an eyebrow and would likely fade from memory the second they’d stopped playing.

If Katy Perry found the creation of 'Smile' a rewarding and cathartic experience, then all power to her. Whilst we all have our battles at times, fighting them under the glare of the public eye can surely only make them tougher, and it’s a level of scrutiny most of us will never experience. However, taken as a standalone piece of art, 'Smile' truly isn’t worthy of your time. It’s a “Live, Laugh, Love” cushion, it’s a faux-inspirational quote over a stock image of a sunset, it makes “Do you ever feel like a plastic bag?” seem like a deep philosophical rumination on the transient nature of existence. In short, it’s no substance, and not even that much style.

Just listened the album 3 times in a row in full. In all honesty, theres nothing groundbreaking . Some songs dont even fit the vibe of the album in terms of production, like Smile which feels completely out of place and its the title track. The highlits are Cry About It Later, Teary Eyes, No The End of The World, Champaign Problems and Tucked. If it was an EP with those tracks it would be perfect. Not mad at Katy, I just dont understand why it had to be a full album in a moment so delicate in her life. If Capital released those songs as singles till Katy feels like working after babycat grew a little it would be way smarter. 

But hey it is what it is. Gonna blast my version of the album with only the songs I liked just like I listen to Glory without Private Show :blol: 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block