Taylor Swift - 'folklore'

I was really worried this was going to be a complete snoozefest of an album, but this is  good! Easy on the ears, refreshing, and enjoyable listen end to end. Really digging "August", "Mad Woman", "this is me trying", but really most of the songs are pretty good.  The overall album kind of reminds me a bit of Mandy Moore's "Wild Hope." 

• Love 4

Damn, I know it was only just released so there aren't many reviews and the ones that are are mostly from people who already like Taylor Swift, but the album has a 94 score on Metacritic from critics and a 9.5 rating from fans/general listeners. That + the collaboration with Bon Iver might get me to listen to it. The only Taylor album I've tried listening to was Lover and I only got a few songs in.

you guys.... this album just doesn't let up. I'm waiting to give my official rating on each song. but wow... its just so deep and emotional

"And I can go anywhere I want, anywhere I want... just not home." :yasqueen:

"They told me all of my cages were mental. So I got wasted like all my potential." :sobbing:

"And it's hard to be at a party when I feel like an open wound." :gloria:

Okay I'm listening to this now, never done this before (except with Glory ages ago) so I'll post my thoughts after each track? (also I refuse to stylise the titles in all lowercase, just not a fan of that). Also gonna say this now, but I was/am kinda worried I won't like this album. I only really like Taylor's pop stuff and never really delved into her country albums. 

1. The 1 - Wasn't expecting a piano-led song to open the album, it's nice enough. Has a bit of an indie vibe but also still kinda pop sounding. 'I'm on some new ****' is a line I never thought I'd hear in a Taylor Swift song dd.

2. Cardigan - Okay I quite like this, nothing too amazing but it's got a nice vibe. Looking forward to seeing the video for it!

3. The Last Great American Dynasty - Oh wow... I actually like this one!! I love the story behind it too. Taylor is such a talented and clever songwriter :crying1: 

4. Exile - Bon Iver is an interesting collaboration. This is a really heartfelt ballad.

5. My Tears Ricochet -  Okay out of the first five tracks, this one is my favourite so far... it's amazing :crying2: kinda reminds me of Delicate in a way.

6. Mirrorball - Kinda reminds me of Taylor's old country stuff with a bit of an indie rock vibe.... it's pretty decent. I think the song ends kinda abruptly though? 

7. Seven - Another piano song... tbh I feel like if the entire album had been like this I probably wouldn't have bothered with a second listen haha. This is okay and I like the lyrics, although I think I prefer Exile. 

8. August - I like this one, has a really nostalgic feel around it too which is nice! 

9. This Is Me Trying - Think this might be one of my faves from the album, reminds me of Taylor's poppier moments!! It's such a dreamy song. 

10. Illicit Affairs - This one is okay but I'm not too crazy about it. 

11. Invisible String - Another one of my favourites, really like the vibe of this one. 

12. Mad Woman - LOVE the concept of this one! Ooh and not Taylor finally using the f word in one of her songs haha

13. Epiphany - This song is beautiful! Taylor's vocals and the production.... so haunting.

14. Betty - oh damn, a country song!!! I think this is one of the most interesting songs lyrically on the album, it's meant to be tied together with Cardigan/August... I love the story in this one. Love the key change as well for the final chorus. And THAT Easter egg that suggests the name of Blake Lively/Ryan Reynold's third child hahaha

15. Peace - Eh, this one's kinda boring. Maybe it'll grow on me. 

16. Hoax - Nice enough but like with Peace, a bit boring. Daylight reminds unbothered as that was an amazing album closer. 

Okay overall, the album's nice and a lot of the songs tell really good/interesting stories. I do quite some tracks. But I think I prefer Reputation/Lover, I just like Taylor's big pop moments :tbh: (I still need to get to 1989 at some point) 

Even though I'm not a massive Taylor fan I liked the idea she had with eight different physical editions of the album with different artwork/booklets... now the question is, do I buy one? I know the physical editions are meant to have a bonus track on them.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Urbanney said:

Damn, I know it was only just released so there aren't many reviews and the ones that are are mostly from people who already like Taylor Swift, but the album has a 94 score on Metacritic from critics and a 9.5 rating from fans/general listeners. That + the collaboration with Bon Iver might get me to listen to it. The only Taylor album I've tried listening to was Lover and I only got a few songs in.

Lover was good, but Reputation... damn, I recommend you listen to that. 

Someone was inspired by Lana Del Rey and it shows :duh: Anyway, for me this album is moody but also refreshing because it reminds me of why i love Taylor Swift. She definitely goes back to her roots but puts a twist on it. We all know that Taylor Swift can write good hooks :oprah: so her last album felt predictable to me. On Folklore she plays characters and tells stories again. 

My favs:

cardigan - i found myself singing to it on the second listen. i watched the video first :bareclap:

my tears ricochet - the lyrics in this song are :letitburn:

august - i got hooked instantly 

this is me trying - :wendycry:

illicit affairs - who hurt taylor :howdareyou:

invisible string - its just such a beautiful song :crying3:

epiphany - reminds me of her song from 1989 this love :brityes:

betty - its a good throwback to her country days :mhm:

• Love 3

Wrote down my thoughts during my first listen...

the 1
Hit a bit too close to home for my liking tbh, but okay 9/10

cardigan
This with the visual is just stunning, I'd cry if I could 8/10

the last great american dynasty
Dunno about this one, but it's started raining and it's kind of a mood 6/10

exile w Bon Iver
I'm so excited for this one... his voice is just 😍 I need some silky Bon & Tay harmonies plzz. Okay so we're getting in my feels again, I'd like to speak to the manager 8.5/10

my tears ricochet
Can't relate cos my tears are absent but nice try Tay, nvm she just said "if I'm dead to you, why are you at the wake" 💀 6/10

mirrorball
Please be an upbeat bop cos I can't deal with an hour of trying to tap into sadness and ****. I feel like this might be a grower but I feel nada rn 5/10

seven
The album is cohesive but doesn't feel too diverse somehow. Ooh okay she's put a poppy lil melody into this one, I could stan... Sorry Tay but I somehow don't think you'd last too long moving to India 🤔 I enjoyed that, defo major genre crossover remix potential 7.5/10

august
I like the name. They're very good at subtly building on the textures as the songs progress and I enjoy that. 7/10

this is me trying
This could very potentially be one of my faves, gorgeous 9/10

illicit affairs
This exudes such a calm, folksy energy and it's so pleasing. 7.5/10

invisible string
Cute, I'm a fan 7/10

mad woman
Omg did she just say '****'?! Somebody give her some soap. Madness. The way that beat kicked in at the end YES. This one isn't sticking out for me other than that tho 5/10

epiphany
This is gorgeous, very 'floaty'. 8/10

betty
What did she do to Betty?! I like this, that key change shoulda stayed in 1999 though 7.5/10

peace
Found that dull ngl, least fave one 4.5/10

hoax
I actually listened to this twice so I could really take in the lyrics, it kinda broke me, I'm impressed but not exactly pleased, beautiful ending 8/10

• Love 2
  • Super Mods
5 hours ago, Ofcoursenot said:

Same here, I didn't finish it yet.. I stopped at 14

IMO its a very long album 

17 songs:imacat:

Yeah I hated it at first but it must be the quarantine because it was soothing to hear at nights though I find myself constantly falling asleep. Some tracks are warming up to me. 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Puppy said:

Yeah I hated it at first but it must be the quarantine because it was soothing to hear at nights though I find myself constantly falling asleep. Some tracks are warming up to me. 

Maybe Im not in the mood for an album like this:typing:

25 minutes ago, Isla said:

Lover was also 18 songs

Which... was a choice..

1. I Forgot That You Existed
  2. Cruel Summer
  3. Lover
  4. The Man
  5. Miss Americana & the Heartbreak Prince
  6. Soon You’ll Get Better (feat. Dixie Chicks)
  7. False God
  8. You Need to Calm Down
  9. ME! (feat. Brendon Urie)
  10.  It’s Nice to Have a Friend
  11. Daylight

I always listen this tracklist from Lover

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Ofcoursenot said:

Maybe Im not in the mood for an album like this:typing:

Which... was a choice..

1. I Forgot That You Existed
  2. Cruel Summer
  3. Lover
  4. The Man
  5. Miss Americana & the Heartbreak Prince
  6. Soon You’ll Get Better (feat. Dixie Chicks)
  7. False God
  8. You Need to Calm Down
  9. ME! (feat. Brendon Urie)
  10.  It’s Nice to Have a Friend
  11. Daylight

I always listen this tracklist from Lover

Ooh I like your Lover tracklist. I think the tracklisting wasn't very cohesive and I still don't understand why Me and YNTCD were so low down. 

• Love 1

Okay I decided to cave in and I ordered two of the CD's. I got Betty's Garden and Meet Me Behind the Mall. My first time ordering a physical Taylor Swift CD :orangu: also got the cassette (which is for the standard In the Trees edition). I kinda wanted to get the vinyl for Betty's Garden too as it's in my favourite colour but the vinyls were more expensive. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block