HBOMAX recently decided to withdraw the movie Gone with the Wind from it service until further notice for glamouring black peoples' struggle during the civil war. In the UK, same has happened with a few series for using ****** and insensitive material.

Thanks to the #BlackLivesMatter movement, this is something that needed to be  addressed long time ago but; I hope it is more inclusive to movies and series that depict other minorities as well in a bad way and stereotype other ethnicities in a bad light.

We all have seen ourselves in Hollywood movies depicted as either the bad guys or too dumb to matter as a human.

Do you think all movies/series depicting minorities should be banned or at least come with a notice on how this was wrong and is wrong?

Would love to hear from you on how certain movies depict u or ur culture wrongfully and u feel is offensive.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

• Love 2

I feel like it's all being taken too far with all these series being removed from streaming services again, yes i am going to say it was a different time because it truly was. There's no point trying to turn back the clock by removing these shows. We just need to learn for the future and avoid doing these kind of things from now on. I can guarantee that many of the people happy that little Britain was removed from Netflix has previously watched all the episodes on there. It was funny, it was the type of humour people enjoyed and many people still watch it and enjoy it. There's no point trying to sensor things like tv shows from the past. We just need to grow and avoid doing stuff like that in future shows. Which we already do, in shows released today they're alot more appropriate. Even though i'll admit i do enjoy shows like Little Britain. 

• Love 5
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, ol123 said:

I feel like it's all being taken too far with all these series being removed from streaming services again, yes i am going to say it was a different time because it truly was. There's no point trying to turn back the clock by removing these shows. We just need to learn for the future and avoid doing these kind of things from now on. I can guarantee that many of the people happy that little Britain was removed from Netflix has previously watched all the episodes on there. It was funny, it was the type of humour people enjoyed and many people still watch it and enjoy it. There's no point trying to sensor things like tv shows from the past. We just need to grow and avoid doing stuff like that in future shows. Which we already do, in shows released today they're alot more appropriate. Even though i'll admit i do enjoy shows like Little Britain. 

Agree but its a very sensitive issue some wud argue they were victimized by their portrayal  or negatively impacted.  we all  have watched comedies that portrayed us in different views but does that make it right ? 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Interesting thread. Featured!

Anyways, I don't agree with historical pieces of entertainment/art being removed, banned, or purged. We can't change history, but times are different now. Having these pieces allows us to look back and see how far we've come and where we can still improve. It's also a piece of a time we can't go back and get more history from, so I think it's more detrimental to remove a piece of history than not being able to have it and learn from it.

• Love 5
  • Like 3
Just now, migeal said:

Agree but its a very sensitive issue some wud argue they were victimized by their portrayal  or negatively impacted.  we all  have watched comedies that portrayed us in different views but does that make it right ? 

I think it all depends on the type of humour people have. I mean, in many of these shows homosexual people are portrayed as the stereotypical camp. The clothes they wear, the way they act etc. I don't really get offended by that and i don't see many other people being either. It's just a type of comedy. I good example would be Bianca Del Rio when she's performing she'll take swipes at you no matter what your sexuality, gender, race etc all of it. It's insult comedy and people LOVE it. She was performing in big arenas such as Wembley arena. Sure, some people will label her digs at the audience as racist and homophobic but people love it and pay to go and see it. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

Interesting thread. Featured!

Anyways, I don't agree with historical pieces of entertainment/art being removed, banned, or purged. We can't change history, but times are different now. Having these pieces allows us to look back and see how far we've come and where we can still improve. It's also a piece of a time we can't go back and get more history from, so I think it's more detrimental to remove a piece of history than not being able to have it and learn from it.

i think in a way it could be a lesson for us to look back on if used in the right context so important now we find the right context to put it out ...

8 minutes ago, ol123 said:

I think it all depends on the type of humour people have. I mean, in many of these shows homosexual people are portrayed as the stereotypical camp. The clothes they wear, the way they act etc. I don't really get offended by that and i don't see many other people being either. It's just a type of comedy. I good example would be Bianca Del Rio when she's performing she'll take swipes at you no matter what your sexuality, gender, race etc all of it. It's insult comedy and people LOVE it. She was performing in big arenas such as Wembley arena. Sure, some people will label her digs at the audience as racist and homophobic but people love it and pay to go and see it. 

comedy is meant to staire our lives but where do we draw the line at wats offensive and wats not. for one i love british comedy cuz its direct and doesnt try to glamourise it 

1 hour ago, migeal said:

Large companies DO NOT CARE. 

The only reason they are doing this because it's beneficial to their bottom line. Money.

Once this hinders revenue. they will be silent once again. 

I repeat. they are not doing this to change the culture or to be right or wrong. It's because by doing so they will be in the news and people will subscribe to them because they will see the service as "progressive" and an "ally". They're not. They want your money and your subscriptions.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, A.a.A said:

Large companies DO NOT CARE. 

The only reason they are doing this because it's beneficial to their bottom line. Money.

Once this hinders revenue. they will be silent once again. 

I repeat. they are not doing this to change the culture or to be right or wrong. It's because by doing so they will be in the news and people will subscribe to them because they will see the service as "progressive" and an "ally". They're not. They want your money and your subscriptions.

def they are not doing it out of good intentions its just cuz it serves their interest .

• Super Mods

Come on, it’s a historical film, are we gonna pretend like slavery didn’t exist back then? Don’t let that subject get in the way of its artistic merits as it was an ambitious project at the time and won best picture. That’s why it’s so important we preserve history and learn from it (which we don’t) 

Sounds to me like people just don’t want to confront the issue and rather just make it go away. 

• Love 1
  • Like 3

The thing is that society has glamorized movies like Gone With The Wind as one of the best films of all time. As a black person watching that movie I don't see it. :schoolingtime:  HBO MAX removed it but also said they would bring it back with an added feature to, I guess, explain the racist time that this film was made in and how we have to stop normalizing these degrading roles for black people. So y'all can stop overacting about it being temporarily removed. Now as for those racist British shows (Little Britain, etc.) Eff 'em, get rid of 'em, burn the masters, straight trash!:blast:

I actually liked that movie. I was a kid watching it probably didn't really understand the civil war thing. Do we really need to ban everything insensitive and say like all these things depicted in a movies didn't happen in a real life. I think ppl need to see and understand what is right and wrong. But that is just my opinion. As i live in  another country i might not really know all the details. 

So are we also going to remove depictions of the Holocaust? World War II? AIDS related, in fact anything relating to something of a deeply offensive/hurtful nature that fee fees might not be able to tolerate. 
Abolishing the past leaves no room to improve on the future and frankly I don’t care that this is unpopular to say but I’m not bending to the whim of all this of “insensitivity” grow up people and learn some thick skin. 
Life is about the truth and it’s many ugly sides. Stop being so hurt and grow up, because you won’t last a day further in life being such babies.

7 hours ago, outrageous122 said:

The thing is that society has glamorized movies like Gone With The Wind as one of the best films of all time. As a black person watching that movie I don't see it. :schoolingtime:  HBO MAX removed it but also said they would bring it back with an added feature to, I guess, explain the racist time that this film was made in and how we have to stop normalizing these degrading roles for black people. So y'all can stop overacting about it being temporarily removed. Now as for those racist British shows (Little Britain, etc.) Eff 'em, get rid of 'em, burn the masters, straight trash!:blast:

they are bringing it back with a black historian to make a commentary about the movie .. queen latifa agrees with ur views she said they shud simply stop showing the movie 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block