40 minutes ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

It’s a boring movie anyway. I don’t think anyone is checking for a 3 1/2 hour nearly 100 year old movie these days. I’ve watched it with my mom b4, she loves it. I don’t see it’s appeal, other than it’s a gorgeously filmed movie and the sets are beautiful. 

its a classic but reflective of an era in history and cinema that need to be addressed appropriately 

This is actually dangerous: they want to remove PROOF of racism and other issues. I say keep these films, for many reasons: they are the testament of an era (in many aspects: artistically, culturally, socially...), and they allow to have DISCUSSIONS on these subjects.

Besides, those depictions are so RIDICULOUS and over the top that they actually make you think "Who ever met black people like this?". It's wrong and hurtful, but ridiculous, and so any thinking person could denounce it. If they don't, then they have deeper issues that a film has nothing to do with.

• Super Mods
45 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

I think the purging should be done about hurtful people (like Harvey Weisntein), not cultural products.

Right? And cancel culture has exposed lots of people in high positions being racist and utter Karens so these are the people that are the problem hence explains the sexism and racism in Hollywood.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

I think the purging should be done about hurtful people (like Harvey Weisntein), not cultural products.

The Whole movie and entertainment industry need a purging cuz harvey attitude seems to be very common in Hollywood and Bollywood .. 

I think you can recognize that something like Gone with the Wind is a great film while acknowledging its obvious shortcomings. The film didn't come out in 2020, it was released in the 1930s by people who were willfully ignorant but also very much of their time.   If anything, recognizing the significance of a piece while acknowledging that we have progressed in the stories we tell is vital.  Perhaps removing it from HBOMax and having some space from it will help us return to it without the rose colored glasses. :nopingout:

Hmm i understand why its been done but movies and series are snapshots of the time they were made. Instead of taking them down, why don't they look at them and think how can we educate ourselves and the youth on why this is wrong now and wasn't seen wrong then. Aim to make something better, but don't destroy what came before that made you want to make something better.

Alot of Artists/Producers/Directors always say something like "i made it because i didn't see representation/it was wrong i wanted to show the real struggle" If we take down everything that is mildly offensive right now then your not gonna have alot left to watch

- Alestaos

On first thought i'd say " not that far" then i think to myself a man was pushed against the ground and choked for 10 minutes by a WHITE man and then killed him intentionally. 

So yeah , get rid of racist driven movies . Wipe them out . It's time we promote the opposite. Black people have always been portrayed in a weird way in movies even in the past 10 years. 

33 minutes ago, summer2summer said:

On first thought i'd say " not that far" then i think to myself a man was pushed against the ground and choked for 10 minutes by a WHITE man and then killed him intentionally. 

So yeah , get rid of racist driven movies . Wipe them out . It's time we promote the opposite. Black people have always been portrayed in a weird way in movies even in the past 10 years. 

That’s a real dangerous statement, yes let’s wipeout all historical black marks. Let’s only display love and rainbows and sunshine and pretend the world is just soooo wonderful. 

Demolishing cultural wrongs will only ensure history repeats itself. And without any negative representations how will any future generations learn of the dangers and perils of why these representations are wrong?

12 hours ago, Cedar Lane said:

I think you can recognize that something like Gone with the Wind is a great film while acknowledging its obvious shortcomings. The film didn't come out in 2020, it was released in the 1930s by people who were willfully ignorant but also very much of their time.   If anything, recognizing the significance of a piece while acknowledging that we have progressed in the stories we tell is vital.  Perhaps removing it from HBOMax and having some space from it will help us return to it without the rose colored glasses. :nopingout:

true if it shud come back its to context and the narrative that needs to addressed 

7 hours ago, migeal said:

true if it shud come back its to context and the narrative that needs to addressed 

Absolutely. I mean films are the talking point now because they most popular storytelling as of now. The same conversations have been held over literature and I don't believe we hold nations who ban or burn books past and present to high esteem. Even books we are required to read in school are regarded as classics but are underlined by the originating time period's cultural understanding and skewed talking points.  The same technique should applied to films I believe. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block