LA Times basically said Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande have replaced the old 00s pop royalty of Madonna and Britney Spears

11 hours ago, keldam22 said:

I love me some Gaga and Ari but that article needs to calm down..

No one in the music industry will ever have the influence that Britney and Madonna have had, not even Beyonce..

MJ = King of pop

Prince = Prince of pop

Madonna = Queen of pop

Britney = Princess of pop
You aren't ever gonna get a 4some that iconic in your lifetime ever again!!

Not even Prince thinks he's a Pince of Pop. He's greater than that. 

28 minutes ago, EasyThere said:

Single hun. Plus MDNA didn't have huge *** promo/payolla. Plus Madonna was like 50 and didn't comeback after a huge *** era ala A Star Is Born. Making Stupid Fads bombing that much more fun to watch. Karma hit Monsters hard with this one

MDNA Promotion:

-Voted as “Most anticipated album of 2012” by Billboard

-114 million viewed Super bowl performance (with Nicki Minaj who was in peak from 2011-2014)

- 4 singles with MVs which 2 are top-10 hits that were performed in various shows

-Promoted small snippets using social media sites in facebook

- Particpated In Jimmy Fallon’s live stream chat

-Partenered with Spotify for increasing of album streams

-Made a brief appearance in the Ultra music festival

-Had a very huge, the most grossing, and controversial tour of 2012

Wasnt this era after hard candy/celebration whichever were both huge eras by themself?

28 minutes ago, EasyThere said:

Honey it literally hasn't outside of its first week. It bombed in Europe,it bombed in USA,Asia,Australia. Literally everywhere.

It makes HIAM look like a smash mega hit :orangu:

Ppl were dragging Gaga all over the internet when numbers for its second week came out :beynah:

Lol what? Stupid is still trending top 40 where I live, my classmates know and live the song, some even excited for the album. And are we just going to ignore numbers? I have to agree that longevity wasn’t the songs strong suit but it defientley isn’t a flop:beynah:

Spoiler

Plus, wasn’t HIAM a huge hit?:umomg:. Thought I debuted at no.1 with 400k sales...

:orangu:

This is all you need to know when it comes to comparisons

Lady Gaga is this generation's Christina Aguilera and everyone saying otherwise needs to study their craft, numbers and 'impact'.
Britney Spears is not the new Madonna and never will be, because Britney Spears, like Janet and Madonna had her own significant amount of impact. That's why she is in a league of her own and a lot of today's artists list her as their influence.

MJ, Madonna, Janet and Britney shaped pop culture and the likes of Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna etc live in it.

• Like 2

How about we stop comparing female artists and using newer females to invalidate older women? You don't see this **** happening with male artists. It's completely misogynistic and ageist, so it is stupid to do so. They're all talented women. Period. Newer artists will always draw more attention than artists who have been in the business 20+ years. In 10 years, Gaga and Ariana will not have the same staying power as the contemporary artists that come to the pop music scene. 

So sick of the media pitting females against each other and treating ageing female pop acts like garbage. r00d.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, MyQueenBritney said:

Interesting how there is never these types of articles written about male artists. 

It’s ridiculous that current and previous generations of Male pop artists can co exist at the top but yet female artists are always compared to each other and treated as if there is only room at the top for one main pop girl. 

THIS. This is what I came here to say. You never hear people saying Justin Timberlake is being replaced by Justin Bieber as prince of pop, or JT is replacing Michael as king. You never hear that imagine dragons is replacing The Rolling Stones or the eagles. You never hear drake is replacing Jay-Z.  

Just as there can be multiple Queens and Princesses who rule over different kingdoms, there can be multiple pop queens. At this point Madonna, Britney, and Gaga are all Queens. Ariana is a princess, but I’d say with 1-2 more successful eras and iconic videos/hits or performances she’ll be a Queen too. I’m sure she’s a queen to a certain generation, I just feel like she’s only had a handful of strong moments so far, maybe 1-2 that are actually iconic. And wtf they leaving Rihanna out?! She is a pop queen too, way more iconic than Ariana is yet and I’d argue more so than Gaga as well. Pop queens aren’t only white. 

um ok..... nothing will replace that iconic duet tbh.. 

and 

On 4/23/2020 at 9:11 PM, EasyThere said:

Screaming at Lady Gaga.

Her career ended in 2012. Ok she had a cute revival thanks to Bradley Cooperin 2018/19. But that's pretty much it.

???

if it ended in 2012 then Brits career too lbr... :fran:

:ohwut: at them comparing Madonna 20 years into her career with Gaga 10 years in. 

if ANYTHING Britney should be compared to Madonna ushering in new generation of young pop (ie: Tinasha on Slumber Party if the general public woke up to her greatness and cared)  

gaga and ari collab is just an exciting pop collab. Not the epicness of Madge and B

1 hour ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

THIS. This is what I came here to say. You never hear people saying Justin Timberlake is being replaced by Justin Bieber as prince of pop, or JT is replacing Michael as king. You never hear that imagine dragons is replacing The Rolling Stones or the eagles. You never hear drake is replacing Jay-Z.  

Just as there can be multiple Queens and Princesses who rule over different kingdoms, there can be multiple pop queens. At this point Madonna, Britney, and Gaga are all Queens. Ariana is a princess, but I’d say with 1-2 more successful eras and iconic videos/hits or performances she’ll be a Queen too. I’m sure she’s a queen to a certain generation, I just feel like she’s only had a handful of strong moments so far, maybe 1-2 that are actually iconic. And wtf they leaving Rihanna out?! She is a pop queen too, way more iconic than Ariana is yet and I’d argue more so than Gaga as well. Pop queens aren’t only white. 

What the hell are you both talking about? You can just Google those topics and you'll see that the current male artists are being compared to the previous generation artists. Artists like Bruno Mars keeps getting flak for being MJ/Prince/James Brown wannabe and so on. 

https://amp.reddit.com/r/popheads/comments/7qgfvz/justin_vs_justin_bieber_voted_prince_of_pop_over/

It's inevitable that there are going to be newer people and the newer people have historically been more successful in the moment than the legends. Cher, Madonna, Britney, then Gaga.

However, I do think the qualifications for a pop star have really changed. It used to be about having incredible songs, videos, and performances that really stand out. You don't really need any of that anymore to be popular. It's way more manufactured now even more than when Britney came on the scene. I will say Gaga is the exception and probably the last true pop star. 

Ariana has some cute songs and has a good voice but that's about it. Calling her the new Princess of Pop doesn't make sense to me. I don't think she's pop royalty - she hasn't achieved what anyone else in the list above has.

Okay soo lets be honest. Ariana might be doing well for herself right now, but i don't think she'll ever be considered an iconic legend. In 30/40 years time, everyone will still remember Miss Britney *****. I can't say the same for Ariana. Not the same. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block