Reddit post attacking Beyonce gains momentum: "Beyonce is an overrated narcissist who is a mediocre singer at best."

Jordan Miller

• Leader
5 hours ago, helloitsme said:

I wouldnt even feed in to this jordan tbh

i dont wanna make it racial

but i find its usually white people that are hating on beyonce and i usually feel like its bc of jealousy. Not everyone ofc. I feel britney is amazing bc shes just an unjealous beautiful being. I dont mean to trigger people, but i just wanna Speak my mind a little more unfiltered than usual. I literally love everybody, but white people have offended me the most when it comes to racial insensitivity and racism. dont get me wrong! There are many white allies, like britney 💘💘💘, & some of those allies are my best friends, but the rest im just speaking freely which i dont usually do bc I dont wanna offend anyone. Im filipino btw.

Beyonces literally one of the best pop sing/dancers ever. Period. And i think people are mad at that. I also think people are mad bc her last 2 albums celebrates black power empowerment, which is a different way of expressing black struggle. Beyonces not the type to be like wahhh wahhh me. 

people are probably gonna come for me for my unfilteredness but i also think people triggers are telling. When u or I get triggered... it really just speaks for itself. I really do love everybody im just speaking my experience... with a lot of racist comments said to me and to other people, sometimes theyre not even realizing their ignorance and that its insensitive, demeaning, or racist. 

britney and mariah are my favs and i feel like britney is more iconic without even trying but beyonce tries a lot harder. i think britney just has this infectious personality. Beyonce is just a fcking hard worker... so how can anyone hate on that?

haters and low lifes can hate all they want... but u can never take her talent from her. 

i do worry if the hate gets too extreme for no reason. Ik this is a jump of an example, but people like martin luther king... all he wanted was love and equality and you would think no one could take his spirit... spiritually, that was never ever taken away, but physically it was... and it stills shakes me that something like that could happen.

& jordan, mentioning her as someone that steals w/o credit, one could argue gaga does that just as much or more, but doesnt get as much flack for it. My best friend that loves gaga, has made some rude comment about beyonce and it felt like it came from jealousy!

gaga is amazingggg in her own way. The way she plays instruments and her costumes and whatnot and commitment to characters. But to bring beyonce down in vein of that? I honestly feel like people are jealous of beyonces dancing and singing abilities. Its just hard to top that pop singer wise. So why hate? We all have our strengths and weaknesses. 

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm feeding into it. If anything I'm trying to counter what the Reddit post offers. :mattafact:

You made a lot of awesome valid points btw

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

she's first and foremost a human which means she has fantastic traits like that she's talented; she has better technical singing skill than most of her contemporaries and has worked to improve it from her early days rather than rely on vocal editing and her existing fame to gloss over the imperfections; she has empowered young black, especially female, fans by being a successful, talented black woman that is acclaimed and beloved whilst still acknowledging her race and ethnic history; and she rightfully seems to mind her business, isn't an obnoxious loudmouth getting involved in drama and talking **** to get trendy headlines in the news (i feel she shares this trait with britney which is part of their domination over most of their contemporaries).

she's also insanely privileged. her wealth far exceeds what 99% of americans could ever DREAM of, despite working as hard or harder their whole life cradle to grave vs beyonce getting to where she is now in ~25-30 and not being at risk of losing it all like normal people always are. artistic theft is also not a good look and i truly, truly believe she is not as involved in the music directly as she's presented to be these days. i think she functions well as an executive producer, is the inspiration for it all, carries it amazing as a vessel for the work of herself and many others etc but i don't buy that she actually produces all her stuff and writes it all. i know she has a reputation for getting writing credits when she didn't really contribute much at all to writing. i also believe she and jay z clearly do buy publicity--there have been so many monumental artists, even more than she is, who don't get the ground they walk upon kissed by media outlets, their works put in the SMITHSONIAN (yes it was important that it was the first black cover photographer for vogue in like 3 decades or whatever it was but if it hadn't been beyonce it never would've been considered and that should be obvious). she's abled bodied, attractive, wealthy. her embrace of black as well as creole identity has a good effect on viewers of that identity, but she's also a pretty light skinned black woman with euro-tilted features (due to creole heritage) who has worn weaves, often light in color, more often than not; that doesn't change the positive impact much but it does make you think that if she had been essentially more black looking--darker skin, wearing natural wear, less pointy features--she would've had a harder road, no questions asked. her bold embrace of identity would have gotten much more push back from non-black people in the country. millions of black girls and women won't get to be as assertive as their idol because they don't look white enough, they don't have the massive fortune, they may not be able bodied or have a chance talent that can pull them out of the poverty endemic to plenty of black communities. she has a big privilege. it doesn't mean she doesn't deserve acclaim or praise but in slathering it on so thick, she is going to hit a wall of backlash. these topics of privilege will come up, people will feel alienated and go all in on her. the fact that she has had products produced in sweatshops in developing countries where people are paid <10 dollars a day yet then the products sell for 100+ dollars? that really isn't acceptable. she's not alone in doing it im 150% sure, but given she's now considered a figure of importance, significance, etc she should lead the way in changing that (maybe bring production back home to black communities, and drop the prices so your fans can purchase they products? i'm sure there are many young black women in this country that love beyonce and would love to own her products but simply do not have the ability to afford it because it's pretty high priced).

i don't worship beyonce nor do i hate her. i think she's a complex human and a very important figure in contemporary culture and won't be forgotten any time soon. the media does too much with her too often which will only serve to tarnish her down the line, and makes those negative things more incendiary for anyone desiring to criticize her. she's amazingly talented and has worked hard; she's also privileged in life and is nowhere near perfect nor should people pretend she is.

There is NO LIE in the statement that she is an overrated narcissist. I don’t quite understand what happened from 4 to the visual album but once that dropped it was Like she was the second coming of Christ. And then she started to believe that herself and i was just over it. I’m assuming it starts and ends with getting rid of her father as manager and getting a marketing team in place to pay publications to make noise about her. 

Beyonce has always been talented and a great performer and decorated in awards but there was this massive shift which started when surprise dropping that album. She had continuously declining album debuts prior to the visual album and then all of a sudden you sell 900,000 in one week? NO ONE was checking for Beyoncé like that regardless of her talent. 

the general consensus is that she is peer-less and I don’t agree with that. She’s GREAT but there are definitely Other artists that are on that same level. 

Beyonce is a mediocre singer tbh, shes good but not great, she stole songs and took credit for them even from people who were trying to make it and she didnt care, she stole Irreplaceable from ne yo, arguably one of her biggest songs, and even kelly went in on her a long time ago and but suddenly she stopped talking bad about her and they became friends again. ($$). She made herself look almost white during her pop days but when the media started supporting black people social movements she decided to be proud of her race. She buys her own albums just like many other recording Artists and that is the answer to aLl of the people asking how she got so huge with no hits. i think her albums are good but they are not penned by her she can barely articulate a sentence when shes interviewed.

I mean shes a good artist the problem for me is how much into herself she has to be to go as far she goes to make herself look like an even better artist than she is and so far its worked for her. 

4 hours ago, helloitsme said:

Her talent singing/dance talent and artistry is among the best. Within those 3 aspects. 

the only time i see cockiness from her is onstage and playing a character. In real life she seems sweet and humble.

if were gonna talk about narcissism and into themselves in real life... i dont wanna drag anyone bc i love them, but madonna and lady gaga. In interviews theyre so into themselves. Beyonces not like that. Shes actually pretty damn shy. She just kicks it up in high gear on stage and plays this empowering character. “Sasha fierce” so dont come for beyonce that wayy!!! 😭😭😭😭

She strikes me as sneaky. Like she tries to project this "shy" image, but in reality she's just not like that. I insist, trying to make money out of your kid's name and believing she's a cultural icon just because she's your baby is the best proof. 

But hey, what do I know? I don't know her personally, so I just enjoy her music and that's it. Lol. 

Is Beyonce a narcissist? - Yes. (This one is pretty obvious) :raven:

Is she a thief? - Yes. (stealing songwriting credits, samples, looks, ideas etc.)

Is she a liar? - Yes. (cause she was often lying that she wrote songs that other people wrote...) + let's not forget how shady she (and her father) was in the Destiny's Child days... :sickofu:

Is she overrated? - I'm not sure. It's arguable...

Is she a mediocre singer? - NO. Beyonce is an amazing singer and performer. :holduplisten: She can sing and dance like crazy (at the same time!) which not many can do... :tiffdrink: Her performances are always on a extremely high level. :donewithit: I don't want to talk about her music, cause everyone has a different taste. :mattafact: but when it comes to singing and dancing - Beyonce is an extremely talented singer and performer + she works really hard, you can tell :mhm:

sooo... That's that on that. :mattafact::raven::bedtime:

6 hours ago, CloseMyEyes1457 said:

I love Rihanna.

Beyonce bores me as a person, her music for me is nothing special and I find her dancing quite repetitive and easy high school workout stomping that was created by others, and not her. I do not think you have to be super talented to learn her routines and do them properly (though I can give props that she can do these routines and sing boring songs beautifully at the same time from as much as I've seen from her performances).

Now, this is my opinion. Why do I have to be jealous of her? Why does it have to be racist? I do agree she is a hard worker, but I do not find her special or very creative (alas I can give props to the teams of writers and choreographers). Also, she ruined Lion King.

Can people not like celebrities and not be hated for it?

I've thought she was a great dancer since I saw this: 

She is talented and a good performer but she is overrated. People make out as if she’s the second coming of God or something. If the hospital bed story is true then that’s actually really shocking. It’s already bad enough she and Jay Z turned up to the Golden Globes late and didn’t stand for Joaquin Phoenix or at the Superbowl during the National Anthem. And her fanbase is annoying. 

She's overrated as hell. I'll give her credit; she's hardworking, she's beautiful, she has a powerful voice and she has constantly high energy on the dance floor.

But there's just nothing iconic or legendary about her. Aside from Crazy In Love, Single Ladies, Halo and Hold Up, what songs or videos has she done that have permanently stayed in the global consciousness? :mcorangu:

I don't really listen to Billionce, and I would actually like to do it, but, as some people said before, I can't stand her stans, like literally billionce breaths and they are passing out and doing crazy sht on social media, like b.itch not even bts fans do that

18 hours ago, ronron said:

Beyonce is a mediocre singer tbh, shes good but not great, she stole songs and took credit for them even from people who were trying to make it and she didnt care, she stole Irreplaceable from ne yo, arguably one of her biggest songs, and even kelly went in on her a long time ago and but suddenly she stopped talking bad about her and they became friends again. ($$). She made herself look almost white during her pop days but when the media started supporting black people social movements she decided to be proud of her race. She buys her own albums just like many other recording Artists and that is the answer to aLl of the people asking how she got so huge with no hits. i think her albums are good but they are not penned by her she can barely articulate a sentence when shes interviewed.

I mean shes a good artist the problem for me is how much into herself she has to be to go as far she goes to make herself look like an even better artist than she is and so far its worked for her. 

Ryan Tedder called her out as she tried to pay him & someone else to remove there names off a song they wrote so she could get credit when she had nothing to do with it. Just... nah girl no 

I really don’t get the big fuss with Beyoncé. I really never have. I mean don’t get me wrong Dangerously in Love was when she was at her best imo. I liked her style and voice. I liked her in Destiny’s Child too but if I’m being really honest I hate how she is so calculated and you can tell she’s so controlling and manipulative but tries to act sweet. The way some of the girls were treated in DC was wrong and that was at account of her and her father. Earlier interviews with her constant eye rolling at other girls. 

You can tell she’s so self entitled and thinks the world revolves around her when her music now is very mediocre. This whole Mrs Carter **** bores me and I’m tired of her and Jay Z acting like they’re god when they really aren’t. She lip syncs way too much and gets away with it yet they drag Britney for the same thing. 

Just my opinion but for real she really is overrated in a word.

11 hours ago, MeAgainstTheMusic_ said:

I really don’t get the big fuss with Beyoncé. I really never have. I mean don’t get me wrong Dangerously in Love was when she was at her best imo. I liked her style and voice. I liked her in Destiny’s Child too but if I’m being really honest I hate how she is so calculated and you can tell she’s so controlling and manipulative but tries to act sweet. The way some of the girls were treated in DC was wrong and that was at account of her and her father. Earlier interviews with her constant eye rolling at other girls. 

You can tell she’s so self entitled and thinks the world revolves around her when her music now is very mediocre. This whole Mrs Carter **** bores me and I’m tired of her and Jay Z acting like they’re god when they really aren’t. She lip syncs way too much and gets away with it yet they drag Britney for the same thing. 

Just my opinion but for real she really is overrated in a word.

Im surprised no one had mentioned the lipsyncing i mean people really think she sings live when shes dancing hard like that was even possible for anyone. She has the best prerecorded vocals i give her that and i know shes a good singer Im just saying She doesnt sing live when she dances if she did u Would hear her breathing 

Archived