Mainstream pop music has become so boring and predictable (discussion)

I totally agree! 

Of course we have new stars like Billie, Arianna but I really doubt we will be listening to their music in 10 years even I doubt in 5 years. They don't make massive hits as we used to have in 90' or 00's or 80's. Current stars cannot be compared to stars like Britney, Christina, Madonna, MJ or Janet. 

In fact I really think people in general stopped being interested into music industry as it is so boring. 

But movie industry is going so strong compared to music. 

Because Oscars have a real values compared to Grammys. As you can buy a Grammy. 

Everyone is talking about new movies, Oscars, Netflix competition with Prime and HBO. 

But music? I think the last star that became massive is Adele but since her no one became this much big worldwide. 

We don't have stars like Madonna, MJ or Freddie with huge personality. I would say it's hard to sometimes recognise who's song it is on radio as all sound so. Similar. 

And compered to movie industry current pop stars don't try to have any impact on a planet. We don't hear such a great speeches from them as we hear from actors. 

MJ's Heal the world or We are the world or Imagine of John Lennon are examples of the songs we will never hear from the new faces in the industry. 

They all have stupid songs with no messages. And they all just try to be controversial as like Miley or Justin Biber but currently no one is even shocked. It is borning. 

And let's be honest people in their 40's, 50's plus don't know even current pop stars. But in 80's or 90's everyone listened to MJ, Madonna, Queen, Janet, Celine. 

Because current Pop stars don't try to make something ambitious that could attract few generations but only the youngest. 

And compered to movie industry whole families don't gather to enjoy new music like they enjoy new movies or series. 

I am huge stan of a music but I can't find anything interesting nowadays. And I feel like I am not the only one. 

And look even at this time of coronavirus, Britney's songs are used as memes like "my lonlines is saving me". New music has nothing legendary in its self that can be remembered. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Curators

I think to a certain extent it has but you cant knock down something without giving it a chance I always make sure to at least check out the music and yes for the most part it has become predictable I would even say annoying but, for me it's more that I don't like the way this gen is singing. I mean don't get me wrong I do enjoy good singers but the technique they use today I can't deal.  

I wanna be there when you touch fire

8 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I only see one icon in there though :mattafact: and to me you’re already having a lasting impact with the charity work you’re doing bringing some relevancy to our forgotten faves :mattafact: when will Lillypad :mattafact:

Mimi met her match for the queen of shade.beach club go girl GIF by MTV’s Lindsay Lohan’s Beach Club

As for @rik this is accurate everytime you post.happy power rangers GIFhappy power rangers GIF

"AFTER 10,000 YEARS I'M FREE,

TIME TO CONQUER BREATHEHEAVY "

BUT U ALWAYS END UP WITH A HEADACHE WHEN YOU CONSTANTLY FAIL. 

OREO GIRL SAYS HI. TIME TO FEED HER

I was born in 84. I'm closer to 40. Then some of u. 

I grew up in the 90s. This is is nothing new.

Billboard even pointed out. 

Those who were 16 in 2000. Are close to turning 40 or reaching it..

So thet are right. We don't control what's popular are time is up. It's this generation turns. 

Always goes thru this cycle. We ran late 90s to early 2010's 

Some of us are from the last era of pure sales. 

This is probably a common opinion, but streaming has made pop music uninteresting. 
Before streaming, if you were truely A list (Madonna, Britney, Mariah), your new release was a fvcking event and proper campaigns to promote were followed. Although there is still promo and campaigning for a new album, it just seems like streaming has made it less... interesting. It seems like so much less effort goes into it. 

Also, there is less money in steams vs physical sales and even established artists struggle to do big numbers in total sales. Yeah, Taylor and Adele still do well, but that’s not a rule. Even Madonna struggles to push 1mil units.  I think this made established artists to scale back on album cycles because touring/residencies are money makers and new music isn’t. Then comes in the glut of new pop stars releasing music almost yearly. They score one or two hits and are over because streaming makes things too accessible so people’s attention spans are shorter and the hype doesn’t last and little seems exciting for real. 

Im sure that all is not lost for the music industry and there will be  more big stars to come. Perhaps it’s just no one has cracked the code for how to reach stardom and maintain it over decades in the new landscape. It’s a saturated market in a disposable society, so standing out is harder even with loads of talent and looks. 

I hope it gets interesting again soon though. I’m too young for music to get garbage this quick :(

5 minutes ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

This is probably a common opinion, but streaming has made pop music uninteresting. 
Before streaming, if you were truely A list (Madonna, Britney, Mariah), your new release was a fvcking event and proper campaigns to promote were followed. Although there is still promo and campaigning for a new album, it just seems like streaming has made it less... interesting. It seems like so much less effort goes into it. 

Also, there is less money in steams vs physical sales and even established artists struggle to do big numbers in total sales. Yeah, Taylor and Adele still do well, but that’s not a rule. Even Madonna struggles to push 1mil units.  I think this made established artists to scale back on album cycles because touring/residencies are money makers and new music isn’t. Then comes in the glut of new pop stars releasing music almost yearly. They score one or two hits and are over because streaming makes things too accessible so people’s attention spans are shorter and the hype doesn’t last and little seems exciting for real. 

Im sure that all is not lost for the music industry and there will be  more big stars to come. Perhaps it’s just no one has cracked the code for how to reach stardom and maintain it over decades in the new landscape. It’s a saturated market in a disposable society, so standing out is harder even with loads of talent and looks. 

I hope it gets interesting again soon though. I’m too young for music to get garbage this quick :(

Alice cooper calls the current music industry the fast food industry thx to streaming.

Spotify, etc. Caters to songs more than albums. 

Though Apple music is made for the musuc lover. No limit on your library.

But it's definitely like McDonalds, Taco Bell,  burger king took over the industry 

The entertainment industry in general is in a decline. Everything's been done before. We've reached an over-saturation where nothing seems or feels exciting and social media, alongside 24/7 accessibility, is partially to blame. The value of what it means to be pop star, movie star, rock star, or just a celebrity holds a different meaning than say, even 10 years back. In retrospect, I noticed this decline sometime around 2004/5 but somewhere between 2015-17, the majority of pop culture, music, and entertainment has felt like it's been on steady decline and while there has been some fantastic records over the last 5 years, it just doesn't feel as exciting anymore. 

Either this is a sign I'm getting older or there really has been a paradigm shift from society that's been a reflection of our art. Regardless, I think the greatest time for entertainment culture, specifically when it came to musical diversity, visuals, excitement and creativity, was between the years of 1995 to 2004. And I wasn't even one years old by 1995 so that should tell you something. 

6 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Alice cooper calls the current music industry the fast food industry thx to streaming.

Spotify, etc. Caters to songs more than albums. 

Though Apple music is made for the musuc lover. No limit on your library.

But it's definitely like McDonalds, Taco Bell,  burger king took over the industry 

Alice Cooper is right then. That’s a good way to put it. 
The system totally favours singles artists now but I guess that’s not enough for me. I want good album material and someone that’s interesting to watch as a performer. 

I’ve only got Apple Music. I do love streaming for the accessibility, so I’m part of the problem I guess. But I listen to a lot more albums now because of it soo whatyagonnado :hiii:

I also call this generation ADHD.

And ADD. Songs have to be about under 3 minutes.  Today's even generation complained that Madame X had songs that are too long. 

The thing is when you're trying to get a message out. 3 minutes ain't enough. Sometimes six or 7 minutes is what it takes. To make sure it's out of ur system. 

On 3/31/2020 at 2:27 AM, DignifiedLove said:

The entertainment industry in general is in a decline. Everything's been done before. We've reached an over-saturation where nothing seems or feels exciting and social media, alongside 24/7 accessibility, is partially to blame. The value of what it means to be pop star, movie star, rock star, or just a celebrity holds a different meaning than say, even 10 years back. In retrospect, I noticed this decline sometime around 2004/5 but somewhere between 2015-17, the majority of pop culture, music, and entertainment has felt like it's been on steady decline and while there has been some fantastic records over the last 5 years, it just doesn't feel as exciting anymore. 

Either this is a sign I'm getting older or there really has been a paradigm shift from society that's been a reflection of our art. Regardless, I think the greatest time for entertainment culture, specifically when it came to musical diversity, visuals, excitement and creativity, was between the years of 1995 to 2004. And I wasn't even one years old by 1995 so that should tell you something. 

the world seems to have ended in 2012 tbh

On 3/30/2020 at 7:50 AM, NotLouTaylor said:

I'm literally so uninterested in current mainstream popstars, most of them don't have a real distinctive artistic identity, every new popstar out there is like a rehash of a previous one. 

Ava Max is like the disney/teen-idol version of Gaga

Ariana is the teen-idol version of Mariah

Normani is the boring version of Beyoncé 

Lizzo is the black version of Meghan Trainor, would people even care about her if she was skinny? 

Doja Cat is decent, Billie is aight  

There's no flavor, where is the spark ? am i just becoming old?

I guess i'll just stick to Shoegaze and G-funk for now  

Completely feel you on all this literally. I think the only game changers right now are Dua, Selena, and that’s all for now. Lizzie overrated cannot wait for her to fade from the scene and Billie whispers. Doja has a shot if she brings more pop/disco r&b because her album is too hip hop for mainstream pop.

• 4 months later...
On 4/3/2020 at 9:33 PM, Barmy86 said:
On 3/30/2020 at 5:50 AM, NotLouTaylor said:

I'm literally so uninterested in current mainstream popstars, most of them don't have a real distinctive artistic identity, every new popstar out there is like a rehash of a previous one. 

Ava Max is like the disney/teen-idol version of Gaga

Ariana is the teen-idol version of Mariah

Normani is the boring version of Beyoncé 

Lizzo is the black version of Meghan Trainor, would people even care about her if she was skinny? 

Doja Cat is decent, Billie is aight  

There's no flavor, where is the spark ? am i just becoming old?

I guess i'll just stick to Shoegaze and G-funk for now  

Completely feel you on all this literally. I think the only game changers right now are Dua, Selena, and that’s all for now. Lizzie overrated cannot wait for her to fade from the scene and Billie whispers. Doja has a shot if she brings more pop/disco r&b because her album is too hip hop for mainstream pop.

Doja cat got cancelled for unfair reasons. Joining a white sepremacy group for a high school project. @Jordan Miller knows what I'm talking about. She tries defending herself saying it was a high school project for a final exam. 

But the backlash was immediate and the black community basically cancelled her even if the reasons was valid. 

Archived