8 years later... MDNA is being relooked and reanalyzed in a new light.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/madonna-mdna-album/

The album "MDNA" is almost 10 years old.

It's being considered as the stronger divorce album in years. Especially the fact that Madonna was very Angry at Guy.

It's to be noted. Madonna fans are happy she's back to being who she was when she wasn't married. They said Between the image and everything else. Madonna was a different person..

Plus this is the same Husband that didn't like the kiss in 2003. Between brit and M

Even rolling stone asked M. He had to know who he was married to?. He did. But he wanted someone that wasn't gonna be as strong as I Am.

They mention girl gone wild was the hit that should have been. Mentioning that because she was 53. Radio didn't support it. But on the dance floor. It was the smash hit that was expected to be. 

Had it been Rihanna or Britney. Girl gone wild would have been massive. But probably not the same as Madonna injected the Good catholic girl gone bad imagery as only she can. Which served appropriately as the track launched The MDNA tour every night. Even breaking through the confessional. 

Glad to see MDNA being shone in a good light. Can't wait to see this happen to Rebel heart and Madame X as usual.

Madonna is the only act I know that can go from bad reviews to actually positive reviews over the years.

Hell American life is now viewed as a masterpiece and a great social commentary on American society..

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Well, I have taste so yeah. No lies there. MDNA is a good album. Period.  :mattafact:

And about this...

54 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Madonna is the only act I know that can go from bad reviews to actually positive reviews over the years.

Only? Nope. Blackout was panned by critics when it came out. So much that MDNA even has a higher metacritic score than Blackout. Only towards half of the 2010s decade was it considered to be influential and lauded by critics. So yeah. Let's be careful with exaggerated statements like that without knowing facts. :mhm:

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Fenixxx123 said:

I only know Girl gone bad and it's amazing

Mte. I just played it again for the first time in years, though, and it did not age well lol. I still like it, but not as much as I used to. The first verse is the best part. The rest kinda got ruined, as someone else said, by the overly aggressive EDM trend that was popular in 2011. 

I loved the album(I actually bought it)but I think the public just didn't like the song Girl Gone Wild(there was a strong reaction to GHOST TOWN a f ew years later) perhaps the timing. I do understand that radio doesn't support older women which is horrendous. I loved the record because i thought i was experimental i loved Masterpiece and Love Spent. Looking at is commercial performance it looks like performed well commercially worldwide maybe just not publicly. I do skip a lot of tracks though I really only listen to maybe less than half the album. 

• Like 1

I remember listening to an interview with Madonna that I believe Ryan Seacrest was giving and he straight up asked her if Britney was going to be featured on Girl Gone Wild and Madonna replied something to the extent of, "Nope, just little old me." ☹️ 

It's a shame Britney couldn't be part of it, especially having major success with the S&M., I wouldn't have been surprised if it reached top 10. Imagine what the video wouldve been like, too. But given the single was released right after the FF era, Britney was probably in vacation mode.

As for the album itself, I gave it quite a few spins back then. I remember liking every track to an extent. The standout tracks for me were I'm a Sinner (catchy, reminded me of Beautiful Stranger), and also Bang Bang and Birthday Song (cause they just seemed so bad *** to me lol)

It's funny, because I actually just re-listened to it for the first time years about a week ago. I must say, I was surprised with the amount of religious references and imagery throughout (maybe I'm ignorant to something Madonna was going through at the time). It just seems like she went out if her way, compared to her other albums. Also,I'm not expert, but the production on some songs seemed off. In some songs her vocals sound like they were recorded on a low quality mic, or something. Confessions, in comparison, I thought had a cleaner cut than this album (and it was also EDM that was released 7 years before!). Though, overall, I enjoyed it.

• Like 1

I actually think it's a great album. Dance/up tempo heavy mixed with some more introspective tracks and experimental production. Unpopular opinion but i like it much more than Rebel Heart. And American Life being viewed as a classic commentary on American Society? Um okay :squintney: there's like two songs on the album that comment on that. Not hating on the album it's um...okay but I wouldn't give it that type of praise. 

• Like 1

I think MDNA is one of Madonna's worst records. It's just not that interesting, sometimes pretty cringey ("Superstar", "Give Me All Your Luvin'", "B-Day Song"), but it does have some great songs ("Beautiful Killer", for example). Also, "Love Spent", "Masterpiece" and "Falling Free" is one of the strongest song trios on any album I've heard. :mhm:

13 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Only? Nope. Blackout was panned by critics when it came out. So much that MDNA even has a higher metacritic score than Blackout. Only towards half of the 2010s decade was it considered to be influential and lauded by critics. So yeah. Let's be careful with exaggerated statements like that without knowing facts. :mhm:

Same for Kylie Minogue's Impossible Princess. When it was realeased back in 1997, it was heavily criticized by professional reviewers and listeners alike, causing Kylie to vow to never make an album like it again. Meanwhile, nowadays, it's frequently placed in the top 3 best Kylie album rankings.

• Like 2

Girl Gone Wild was a banger and a half but I never thought that the wider public would take to another cliché Benny Benassi production (I said what I said, listen to the Womanizer BB Remix and tell me you don't hear a recycled instrumental)

The only other track that I ever took to off that album was 'I ****ed Up'. I still think the album is 'of its time', just like Femme Fatale. But personally, I've tried listening to all of Madonna's albums and I struggle to get into any of them. Rebel Heart is probably the only one where I've liked over 50% of the tracks.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.