DR. DREW SAYS BRITNEY'S BEEN IN GOOD HANDS ... BUT MAYBE TIME FOR CHANGE

bbbitchme

:puke:DR. DREW

BRITNEY'S BEEN IN GOOD HANDS

... BUT MAYBE TIME FOR CHANGE

5/25/19 12:50 AM PDT

2 Britney Spears' father's done right by her for a long time and deserves respect for that, but her latest issues might require a different approach ... so says Dr. Drew.

The celebrity doc was leaving the Sirius building in NYC this week when we asked about Britney's mental health and family drama, and first things first ... he tells us folks need to lay off the pop star.

Dr. Drew then says Britney's dad, Jamie, should be applauded for his courage for putting her under conservatorship after her infamous 2008 meltdown, which allowed her to make a comeback and have renewed success in recent years.

He points out Jamie's not just been doing what he thinks is best for Britney -- he's doing what's required by law. Dr. Drew's not buying the sordid allegations related to the "Free Britney" movement.

Having said that ... he suggests Britney may well still need a conservatorship -- which medical professionals will determine -- and if she does, Drew thinks it might not be a bad idea to possibly install a new conservator. Problem is, if not Jamie, who?

As we reported ... Jamie filed legal docs last week stating he wants to make his conservatorship over his daughter valid in 3 key states other than California. These states -- Florida, Hawaii, and Louisiana are all spots she likes to visit ... and he worries some of the people behind the "Free Britney" movement might try to snag her out-of-state.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't medical "professionals" supposed to know their facts and also be respectful of patients, even if the patient isn't their own? "Required by law," "applauded," "sordid allegations," etc.?

Definitely not buying it!

:well:

It terrifies me how many people have little to no knowledge of Britney's situation as well as the requirements for and implications of permanent conservatorships, but feel they're qualified to inform the public on what they believe is best for her. I cannot applaud a man who acted as a co-conservator with a lawyer who referred to a permanent conservatorship as a "hybrid business model." Since when is the permanent removal of one's human and civil rights a "hybrid business model" deserving of applause?

I wonder if Dr. Drew is familiar with the legal corruption that often occurs in these cases and the fact that Britney was deemed medically competent to handle her own affairs without a permanent conservatorship by multiple psychiatrists who actually evaluated her in person (not from afar like Dr. Drew), but a judge with a deep history of corruption proceeded to approve the conservatorship's permanency regardless of those medical opinions.

The professional response would have been to decline to comment or simply reinforce the fact that an investigation, which he is in no way connected to, is intended to address any issues and his well wishes for Britney, whom he does not treat. A medical "professional" has no right to publicly discuss an extremely serious and permanent situation that is currently under an investigation requested by Britney and her mother, which implies dire circumstances.

Speaking of acting in one's best interests, isn't it ironic how Dr. Drew was criticized for his previous reality TV series showcasing celebrity addiction and mental health issues? Per Wikipedia:

Critics also maintain that the patients' needs and the show's needs constitute a conflict of interest, with Dr. John J. Mariani, director of the Substance Treatment and Research Service at Columbia University stating, "The problem here is that Dr. Drew benefits from their participation, which must have some powerful effects on his way of relating to them. He also has a vested interest in the outcome of their treatment being interesting to viewers, which is also not in their best interest. Treatment with conflicts of interest isn’t treatment."

Despite the involvement of former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr as well as an appearance by Nancy McCallum, mother of the original AIC singer Layne Staley, who died of an overdose in 2002, the remaining original members of AIC, guitarist Jerry Cantrell and drummer Sean Kinney, have criticized the show, calling it "disgusting". Kinney said of the program, "It exploits people at their lowest point, when they're not in their right mind, and the sad part is, this is like entertainment for people when it's actually a life and death situation. I don't think it helps anybody and it makes entertainment out of people's possible death, and that's pathetic and it's stupid."

In March 2009, columnist Drew Grant called for an end to the series because of its "warped sense of priorities", opining that the practice of assembling celebrities with serious **** addictions with others that, according to Grant, either do not have addiction or whose addictions are self-diagnosed, like Rachel Uchitel and Gary Busey, for the purpose of creating entertainment, serves to encourage the "celebrity narcissism" which Pinsky himself has criticized.

:well:

Who the **** is Dr. Drew :nyheadache: ? Why do we care about his opinion  ? 

Doctor or not, there is absolutely no reason for her to be in a conservatorship right now and everyone saying the contrary is not thinking in Britney's best interest. Period :bedtime:.

The fact how her life depends on decision of one elderly person can give anxiety, that's not great system, but he done what he must in the past. If Brit is not ready after all this time, it also mean they failed her at the end.

I just can’t f**king believe they haven’t even been trying to rehabilitate her during the last decade....?

No therapy? Nothing?

No wonder she said “even when you go to prison, you know when you’re gonna get out”....

I was always under the assumption she was getting intense therapy.

First off he said that we need to lay off Britney yet felt the need to speak about her publicly which is only going to cause more conversation :umsaywhat: He lost me there as any other opinion (and yes it’s an opinion as he doesn’t know her team) was made selfishly. Bad look Mr. Drew. 

2 hours ago, colormefresh said:

I just can’t f**king believe they haven’t even been trying to rehabilitate her during the last decade....?

No therapy? Nothing?

No wonder she said “even when you go to prison, you know when you’re gonna get out”....

Exactly. Chances are, if she's supposedly doing as bad as they're saying then they're clearly not doing a good job and the cship isn't serving its supposed purpose anymore. :ohreallylol: If she really is doing bad then she needs therapy and a good support system, not rules and restrictions that apply to literally every facet of her life. :icant2: Keeping her away from Sam Lutfi and the like isn't a good enough reason to have the cship in place either, there's restraining orders and security for that and they don't magically disappear without the cship in place. :hairflip: Also, if they're supposedly working in Britney's best interest then shouldn't they do everything they can to get her out of the cship? By that I mean therapy and doing routine checkups to see how she's doing and if she's capable but none of that seems to be happening. :mj:

53 minutes ago, DirtyMind said:

Dr. Drew and his armchair diagnoses can suck a ****.  God, he annoys the **** out of me.  People like him give the rest of us working in this field a bad name. 

Agreed 100% about the armchair diagnoses from individuals like Dr. Drew; they're completely unprofessional and unwarranted, and not helping the patient with their situation or general privacy whatsoever.

3 hours ago, colormefresh said:

No therapy? Nothing?

That's exactly what I've been saying this whole decade. How tf is she getting worse and not better? After all these years of too much control, not allowed to drink, do *****, not bad influence around... If there's somebody to blame, it has to be her handlers for not doing a good job with her. They're neglient, period. :mj:

Archived