Britney Spears' First-Ever Single "Baby One More Time" Turns 20-Years-Old Today!

Mc54

I always knew this, but the GP needs to know it. This video changed the course of culture and is a gift that keeps on giving two decades later. I seriously cannot imagine a world without this video. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Global Pop Icon, Britney Spears’ Debut Single, “…Baby One More Time” Celebrates 20th Anniversary

BritneyPictureDisc_900px.jpg

Spoiler

Source: Global Pop Icon, Britney Spears’ Debut Single, “…Baby One More Time” Celebrates 20th Anniversary

Chart-Topping Album To Be Released For First Time On Picture Disc Vinyl, Friday, November 23

Twenty years ago, Britney Spears helped usher in a new era in pop music with the release of her ground-breaking debut single, “…Baby One More Time.” On November 23, in honor of its 20th anniversary, Jive/Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music Entertainment will release a picture vinyl title for the first time, featuring the album’s iconic cover on one side and an image of Britney from her early photo shoots on the other.

The picture disc is available now for pre-order: https://britney.lnk.to/BOMT20PR/amazonvinyl

“…Baby One More Time” was released on October 23, 1998 and went on to become a cultural touchstone for an entire generation. The song is from Spears’ debut studio album of the same title, released in January 1999 on Jive Records. Spears recently discussed the song with The Guardian stating, “The whole song is about that stress that we all go through as teens. I knew it was a great song. It was different and I loved it, (but) I don’t think you can anticipate how a song is going to be received.”

The track, written by Max Martin and produced by Martin and Rami, topped the charts in 19 countries. The album itself is 14x Platinum (Diamond certified) by the Recording Industry Association of America and has sold more than 25 million copies around the world.

The companion music video released on November 24, 1998 lensed by Nigel **** and one of the most influential videos of its time was named the most iconic of all time by MTV’s long-running Total Request Live.

The picture disc vinyl is also available in a D2C offering from Epic Rights who launched a …Baby One More Time themed web store today. The store features a variety of limited edition …Baby One More Time themed merchandise including t-shirts and accessories. Please visit: https://britney.lnk.to/BOMT20PR/artiststore

Some exciting news was revealed yesterday, the first major pop star to have a Las Vegas residency is back! Britney’s new show will embody her strong, take-charge attitude when she returns to the city with her new show, “Britney: Domination.” Designed to give her fans and concertgoers an immersive experience, this show will bring them closer to the excitement than ever before as they party, dance and sing along to her amazing catalogue of hit songs.

tenor.gif?itemid=5566726

This is a big deal!  The song that started it all and defined an entire era in pop culture.  Lets reminisce on this moment that brought us the legendary Britney Spears.  Exhalers, put some love on this flawless song! 

1. How old were you when this song was released to radio?
  2. Where were you when you heard BOMT for the first time?
  3. DId any of you buy the single/album on cassette or CD?  If so, from where?
  4. What were your first impressions/thoughts/feelings?
  5. Any special memories attached to this song?

giphy.gif

When the song debuted on U.S. radio, I was 14 years old and had just started high school in the 9th grade.  At that time, I did not have a computer nor the internet, and I didn't have cable television.  My only access to current pop music was on my dinky little Sony boombox that also played cassettes and CDs.  Everyday after school, I would turn on the radio and have Kiss 107.9 FM playing in order to stay hip with the Top 40's songs at the time.  I distinctly remember hearing BOMT for the first time and being taken aback by the unusual first opening beats and the way Britney sang "baby."  It sounded so different from anything else that was heard on the radio.  This was not Natalie Imbruglia, or Goo Goo Dolls, or Alanis Morissette and it certainly wasn't Chumbawumba.  By the second time hearing it played, I was intrigued.  The low drawn-out "bay-buh."  That odd sounding tongue roll during "it's not the way I PLANNED it." If BOMT came on, I paid attention.

One late afternoon in December, I was hanging with my bestie at his house and he played a VHS recording of a recent TRL episode, the one with Britney's first visit to TRL studios.  It was love at first sight with the BOMT video!  Who was this perfect singer and why couldn't I stop watching?  My bestie needed to lend me this VHS recording.  Play. Rewind. Play. Rewind.  My best friend was NOT about to get this videotape back any time soon that was for damn sure!

I can't remember the exact date of when I bought the BOMT album.  But I do remember being surprised by the photos on the cover and in the CD booklet.  The Britney in the album photos looked more like a kid rather than the cool, hip teenage girl in the music video.  The rest is history, and here I am 20 years later writing this thread on Exhale.

:) :crying4:

Awesome post! I love your memories. ?

My local radio station KDUK does an "Old Skool Lunch" hour where they play older hits from 12pm-1pm. I scheduled my BOMT text request last week to be sent out tomorrow at 11am! ?

1. How old were you when this song was released to radio? 13 years old. 
  2. Where were you when you heard BOMT for the first time? Home sick w/ a bad cold. It made me feel better!
  3. Did any of you buy the single/album on cassette or CD?  My mom bought both the single & album for me.
  4. What were your first impressions/thoughts/feelings? Finally something I could truly get into musically.
  5. Any special memories attached to this song? Spending hours putting up all my posters on my bedroom wall w/ the CD on repeat. I also had the "answering machine cassette" I used for my answering machine's outgoing message.  It had the song's instrumental intro and then Britney said something about not being able to get to the phone but to "hit me back, baby...one more time" haha! There was also one with a Sometimes theme where she was like, "sometimes I can't come to the phone..." ?

I was 17.  Idk where I heard it first. 

I bought the CD.  It was one of the first songs I called and requested on the radio lol.  I went to her first 4 tours... then I stopped (dates did not work out)  I went to her vegas tour (birthday weekend)  Feb 2014.  IT WAS AMAZING!

Okay I got side track.   I still dunno why I am crazy about her.   She is awesome.  Her music just makes you want to dance and be happy.  I hope she is happy. 

I just lit my bubblegum “Hit Me Baby One More Time” candle. I bought it especially for tonight.

Etsy:  https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/500371147/one-more-time-4-oz-candle-inspired-by?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=britney spears candle&ref=sr_gallery-1-9&organic_search_click=1

20 years of Britney and BOMT is a big deal. People need to recognize.  I was 8 when it was released. It’s funny, doesn’t really seem like 20 years. She’s still great. And I’m glad that’s she’s going strong. 

Lmao I was 3 years old when BOMT came out. I didn't hear it until Circus era, when I discovered Toxic wasn't her first big hit (I was that away from music, yes). I remember instantly understanding why it was so successful: The piano and beat deffo showcase a specific period in time, so unique and recognizable, talk about sonic identity. It truly defined an era, so proud of my girl.

1 hour ago, Khoazie said:

How old were you when this song was released to radio?

I was in the womb when BOMT dropped (I was born in Feb ‘99) 

Where were you when you heard BOMT for the first time?

My house (on MTV)

Did any of you buy the single/album on cassette or CD?  If so, from where?

(No, I wasn’t born yet)

What were your first impressions/thoughts/feelings?

It was my holy stan awakening

Any special memories attached to this song?

Watching this on MTV with my older sister

I was 5 years old, i heard it on radio (100Fm, has allways been the big music station in Denmark) on my way to OBS(a danish market). I cant remember how i felt, but i told my dad that i wanted the Song, a week later my dad gave me the CD(my that had made a copy, from the one he loaned from the libary). 

I remember dancing in the livingroom to BOM and to AQUA(the band that made barbiegirl, im Danish there are Danish), with my big sisters red dress on(and my dad didnt Know i was gay?)

I have loved her voice ever since, im still new to BH, but i have been a fan since i was 5. Her music have ment a lot to me, and it has helped me in hard times

I cant believe its 20 years! :cuteidk:

How old were you when this song was released to radio? 5 years old. 

Where were you when you heard BOMT for the first time? Xmas Eve diner. 

DId any of you buy the single/album on cassette or CD?  If so, from where? My family got me the album a couple of years later.

What were your first impressions/thoughts/feelings? The song made me feel good, didn't actually understand it but loved watching the music video.

Any special memories attached to this song? When I was 10 years old, we danced to this song at my school for a little show. It was fun!

1. How old were you when this song was released to radio?  I was 3
  2. Where were you when you heard BOMT for the first time? Probably on TV
  3. DId any of you buy the single/album on cassette or CD?  If so, from where? Unfortunately no :bpout:
  4. What were your first impressions/thoughts/feelings? I don’t remember..

I was 12 years old and I was in my neighboor's house, she played the cd and I asked her who that was. She told me "it's Britney Spears". Before I left I asked her if I could borrow her Cd and once I got home, I put the cd in my computer and I remember watching the vídeo and the interview over and over again. Then I started watching "los 10 más pedidos" on MTV and Britney was always in 1.

Archived