Britney Spears' First-Ever Single "Baby One More Time" Turns 20-Years-Old Today!

Mc54

12 hours ago, Williamm91 said:

Everyone saying this is too expensive. What kind of job do you have? Are you 15? Look at other celeb merchandise. This is not expensive. Y'all are delusional, like always 

tbh most of us got bills to pay and cannot afford 300 bucks for a hoodie and a tshirt.

I do like the merch but it's sad both the hoodie and shirt cannot be bought seperately.

I think your comment is very rude. Not everyone makes a lot of money. Some have to do 2 to 3 jobs to even be able paying off their bills. A little bit more respect would not be missplaced

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, ubritney said:

The music industry has changed and so should you. It’s called Streaming. It’s not only Britney. The only things that sell now are concert tickets, vinyls and  vintage fashion. I think only Madge still releases DVDs. Get with the program.

:bcutelaugh: Ummm.. who are you to tell me that I have to change because the music industry changed and that I have to get with the program? lol

15 hours ago, ubritney said:

It’s not Team B’s fault as you like to put it. Omg I think it’s Team B’s fault that Trump was elected right?

The real celebration will come when Britney performs a medley of BOMT songs in Domination.

Well, I highly doubt Britney or almost any artist have anything to do with their merchandise. I really don't think Britney has a say in what type of merch she wants to sell or how she wants her merch to look like, but I do know she does have a say when it comes to her music and tours. Judging from how Britney doesn't really like her older stuff or stuff from her early career in general, I doubt we're going to see a performance of BOMT songs at Domination. Even if she does do a "tribute" performance, it's going to likely be lipped with terrible choreo. I wouldn't be surprised if she just performs Work ****, Toxic, and BOMT and dubs it a tribute performance. Sorry, but tacky, expensive merchandise and a possible tribute performance isn't really a celebration to me.  :juggingu:

On 10/20/2018 at 1:59 PM, Williamm91 said:

Everyone saying this is too expensive. What kind of job do you have? Are you 15? Look at other celeb merchandise. This is not expensive. Y'all are delusional, like always 

Yeah, cause we all work as acclaimed lawyers or CEOs of businesses and own 3 condos like you, right? We don't pay bills and all we eat and drink is the air.  :ririshade2:

47 minutes ago, LikeASlumberParty said:

Tbh, although this is expensive, it’s not too bad compared to most other artist’s merch. The bigger bundles come with a good few things considering their prices.

The new stuff is nice imo. It sticks to the original asthetic of the album which is very nice.

What celebrity merch are we talking about? 

I have never seen anyone charge $300 for a hoodie and T-shirt before bundle. Never. 

5 hours ago, Spearsfan said:

What celebrity merch are we talking about? 

I have never seen anyone charge $300 for a hoodie and T-shirt before bundle. Never. 

I think it’s price is quite high because of the plaque that’s included. The platinum bundle on her website seems a bit cheaper.

Artists such as Beyoncé have charged the same price for a coffee table book and vinyl, although I will agree that Britney’s merch is still too expensive.

EXCLUSIVE: Choreographer Randy Connor reveals it was the then 16 year old herself who had the idea - and that she was far from a 'puppet'

When Britney Spears released the video for Baby One More Time in 1998, she made one of pop’s most memorable ­entrances to the world stage.

The video catapulted the 16-year-old into overnight superstardom with a look and attitude so iconic you can guarantee that come Halloween, the fancy dress will include plenty of schoolgirls.

With its slick dance moves, school setting and daydream plot, Baby One More Time looked like a masterclass in how record firm PRs create an image for a performer that ticks all the right boxes.

But as the video turns 20 this week, we can reveal it was actually the result of the young star schooling her label, which had very different plans for the shoot.

Today, choreographer Randy Connor finally tells all on the story of the shoot – and insists what you see in those three minutes and 56 seconds is all Britney.

While it is hard to imagine it any other way now, the video was planned to be half-cartoon and have nothing to do with school. And even the tied-up shirt flashing Britney’s midriff was her idea.

“Britney was no record label’s puppet,” says Randy.

“She had a key voice in the production and her creative touches made the video iconic. The school class was her idea, which she convinced the management would be better than their idea.

"Britney wanted the video to relate to her fans and their experiences, so felt a school was more natural and realistic to them and her personality.

“The idea was they are daydreaming about getting out and having fun, remembering a guy she broke up with.”

Britney talked Randy and director Nigel **** around on the school theme at the 11th hour and they grabbed the outfit from a department store.

“It was kinda last minute but Nigel and I thought it was a fantastic idea,” says Randy.

“All the uniforms were picked up from K-Mart for about £19 with costumiers working fast to get them fitted.

“After a couple of takes Britney felt that the tails of the shirt were getting in the way of her hand movements.

So before another take she tied a knot in the shirt. It happened naturally. She was in fantastic shape so her midriff was toned.

”I heard she kept that outfit. It has become an iconic look. It is now one of people’s go-to costumes for Halloween.”

When the video was released, its impact on pop culture was seismic.

“It was innocent in its conception, but the integration of the styling and choreography created that edge,” says Randy.

Of course, with the internet in its infancy in 1998, Britney’s overnight success did not come by chance.

Her transformation from a child star in the Mickey Mouse Club, performing alongside the likes of Justin Timberlake, Ryan Gosling and Christina Aguilera, to being a pop solo act took a year of work.

Bosses at Jive Records teamed Randy with Britney in late 1997 after signing her to be “the next big thing”.

Preparations included her learning acrobatics, having six-hour rehearsal sessions, five days a week, before writing and recording sessions.

Randy says: “Jive saw Britney as their next big project.

And their plan was not simply to knock out a quick song and video but to grow and build her as an entertainer. We wanted to create moves that would have people hooked.

She learned acrobatics and practised for hours. She is a natural athlete and fast learner, who just relished every rehearsal.

“When I looked into her eyes I saw a genuine, sincere kid, a young girl, who was driven and willing to work 150%. She never complained.”

Baby One More Time was filmed over two days at Venice House School in LA – the site used to film Grease in 1978. Randy, 47, says: “It was relentless but there were no complaints because this was her passion.

“I lost count of how many backflips she did. It was groundbreaking too with the casting, because we had a diverse cast of dancers – which represented what the truth about American schools.”

Britney even did a Dirty Dancing lift but it was cut from the final edit.

“It was an incredible moment where Britney ran and jumped into the arms of our lead dancer,” says Randy. “It was beautiful.”

Randy says when Britney was shown the finished video, she almost broke her bed jumping around at her hotel.

”She knew it was special and proud her idea came good,” he says.

“Her look and sound were different. Straight after, everyone knew the words, kids were doing the choreography and it was all over radio. After its release it took a life of its own.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/britney-spears-baby-one-more-13455282

Archived