Sophomore Albums That Surpassed Their Predecessors

The sophomore curse is a real thing in the music industry, but I came up with a list of albums I think beat the curse over the past three decades. What are yours?

1. Halcyon (2012), Ellie Goulding
  2. Born This Way (2011), Lady Gaga (or The Fame Monster, depending on which camp you're in)
  3. Teenage Dream (2010), Katy Perry (not counting Katy Hudson - don't know her)
  4. Storyteller (1994), Crystal Waters
  5. 21 (2011), Adele 
  6. Crazy***yCool (1994), TLC
  7. My Everything (2014), Ariana Grande
  8. 7/27 (2016), Fifth Harmony
  9. Always In Between (2018), Jess Glynne
  10. Bloom (2018), Troye Sivan
  11. The Diary of Alicia Keys (2003), Alicia Keys
  12. Melodrama (2017), Lorde
  13. Rooty (2001), Basement Jaxx
  14. SremmLife 2 (2016), Rae Sremmurd
  15. One in a Million (1996), Aaliyah

Some surprises:

• Like A Virgin (1984), Madonna - I go back and forth with the classic and timeless Madonna. But LAV typically wins.
  • Future Nostalgia (2020), Dua Lipa - Would have been on the list if it weren't for the god forsaken "Boys Will Be Boys", arguably the worst song she's ever made. Did NOT stick the landing of the album for me. I have fond memories of the Self-Titled era and watching her grow in confidence as an artist and performer. I think Dua Lipa is one of the better debuts, but we'll see if it ages like fine wine or spoiled milk.
  • Oops!... I Did It Again (2000), Britney Spears - BOMT is one of the greatest debuts of all time. Period.
  • E•MO•TION (Expanded Edition) (2015), Carly Rae Jepsen - There are just a couple more bops on Kiss to edge this one out.
  • My Agenda (2020), Dorian Electra - also go back and forth with Flamboyant, but the songs on this album feel unfinished, like Rihanna's "Birthday Cake" - amazing, but too short. Really underrated artist in the hyperpop world.
Edited by Jacolicious
14 minutes ago, Jacolicious said:

Future Nostalgia (2020), Dua Lipa - Would have been on the list if it weren't for the god forsaken "Boys Will Be Boys", arguably the worst song she's ever made. Did NOT stick the landing of the album for me. I have fond memories of the Self-Titled era and watching her grow in confidence as an artist and performer. I think Dua Lipa is one of the better debuts, but we'll see if it ages like fine wine or spoiled milk.

Ew girl. Not u liking her indie electronic pop  crap more than boys will be boys 

security @CrazyButItFeelsAllright

• Love 1
  • Haha 4
  • Like 1

i think lady gaga peaked with the fame / the fame monster - the two of these are to be considered a single album as the fame monster is an EP - meaning extended play.

there is no way born this way is better. literally all of the fame / the fame monster is good and it holds lady gaga's career.

with that said, the obvious one you're not naming is oops i did it again.

i also want to add Rihanna - a girl like me is a huge jump from her first album - music from the sun, and then her third album was even better.

• Love 2

You listed most of the ones I would have picked, but not you putting Emotion for Carly Rae Jepsen when Tightrope is her debut album :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

Lemme throw in:

Gils Aloud - What Will the Neighbours Say (Sound of the Underground was a decent debut album for a reality show group, but What Will the Neighbours say was even better and defined Girls Aloud's quirky sense of pop produced by Xenomania)

Paramore - Riot (a massive step up from All We Know Is Falling and the best of their 'emo' albums imo)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, leviathan said:

i think lady gaga peaked with the fame / the fame monster - the two of these are to be considered a single album as the fame monster is an EP - meaning extended play.

there is no way born this way is better. literally all of the fame / the fame monster is good and it holds lady gaga's career.

with that said, the obvious one you're not naming is oops i did it again.

i also want to add Rihanna - a girl like me is a huge jump from her first album - music from the sun, and then her third album was even better.

The Fame Monster is an album. I don’t care what anyone says

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block