Why is HMC's success on radio not reflected on other platforms?

Well, it's no secret that HMC is doing great on the radio, making solid numbers day after day. Which is great. But on the other hand, the numbers on Spotify and AM are below ground, even with all the effort by the Elton team to turn the song into the new Cold Heart in terms of streams. The question is: why is the song only standing out on the radio? Does it have to do with payola or is Britney's fanbase simply not migrating to new forms of music consumption, getting stuck in the past?

• Love 2

The streaming numbers are pretty stable which is a good sign, but yeah, it's doing better on radio, first because both Elton and Brit are older artists, and streaming is generated mainly by gen z, second because the song wasn't properly promoted especially by Britney who could make the song do great and it didn't trend in tiktok, which is a great streaming impulsor nowadays.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

Is it getting good play on Z100?.. I’ve only heard it playing on radio once, and that was at a Domoishi..  :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

Z100 dropped it a couple of weeks ago. When I checked their logs, they either don't play it at all or do but overnight hours. Same thing with my station in Philadelphia.

Z100 is the top market audience in the country and so HMC is losing out on millions of audience on just one station alone.

• Love 1

It simply has to be very well liked amongst the masses. Our fan base and dua’s and whoever else’s who’s big right now aren’t big enough to pull billions of streams. There has to be big interest amongst the general public to listen over and over. As much as I like hold me closer it’s not as infectious as cold heart. It’s doing good on radio because we are a big enough fan base to request and there’s some payola. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DollyParton said:

I guess payola yes, didn't they had a radio deal? The radio keeps playing it, but I guess the GP isn't eating it up..

Deal was just for one day! 

Also to the OP, the song is doing best on Adult AC in the US and Germany as well which tells clearly song is loved by adults people don't understand that streaming is majorly targeted towards young audience. Radio is still one the most consumed mediums because teens are a small population comparing to adults. 

Most adults listen to radio while driving to work, why would they stream on their phone? They do not have the time and that's how many songs do well on radio but not on streaming. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I think there's payola also on spotify and they didn't spend enough.. for exemple Unholy of Sam Smith was 1 on spotify from day one and that's very strange for singers like him that don't have a large fan base..

and than, yes the other big problem is that Britney has been out of the scene for too long so the new generations don't know her...sad but true.. and even if they like HMC than they go on her instagram and find someone who don't have any interest on her music (no judge but it's like this)

• Like 1

Katy Perry, Pink,Lady Gaga,,I can continue but they do better on radio,,Gaga only got a huge hit with rain on me, cos of Ariana Grande's is a streaming fan base, I don't know how to say it,, plus when other streaming services are denied by billboard except YouTube and Spotify.

Amazon and Apple are bigger in the US, so the industry really shot themselves in the foot , cos I called it once apple music came official, every American would go to a made in The us streaming services hell my smart tv has Amazon music and tidal as their apps, that should tell you something Spotify basically lost it's footing in the US 

Hold Me Closer is definitely an organic radio hit, let me explain why!

Track is currently being played in 4 different radio formats: Mainstream (Top 40), Adult Contemporary, Hot Adult Contemporary (Adult Pop) and Dance.

Elton is crazy STRONG on AC and Hot AC formats, (Cold Heart is still Top 10 to this day on AC, by the way, plus listeners age range is usually from 25 to 44 years old), and that's the main reason why HMC is charting so well right there, becoming Britney's 1st EVER Top 10 on these formats.

Then we have the Mainstream format, on which both Elton and Britney are very well known and doing quite decent numbers there too.

Dance format is just a minor one, but HMC managed to go #1 in the Billboard Dance/Show Mix Airplay right there aswell!

Streaming and radio audiences are completely different, however it's far from free-falling or doing bad on streaming services so far: it is what we call stability, my friends! :letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn:

• Love 3
  • Like 2
43 minutes ago, Slayer said:

She literally just had one...

Not in their eyes, in the US it's only charting due to radio airplay,,but it's in my opinion Elton isn't doing promo or pushing it, Elton has to be blamed, I mean he announced a Disney plus concert, it happened the same day as hocus pocus 2..

We knew what happened,, hocus pocus 2 won the same day as a live Elton John concert 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block