Jennifer Lopez has outlasted almost all of her peers. Why?

1 hour ago, do the thing said:

ella no sobrevivió a Shakira, aunque  :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek: tal vez en los EE. UU., pero no afuera, sus MV son éxitos de WW tras éxitos de WW y, en cuanto a la transmisión, está loca en YouTube. :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

Sin embargo, lo interesante es cómo JLo es increíblemente popular a pesar de tener un éxito comercial muy pobre en lo que respecta a su música  y tener 53  años (la misma edad que Madonna a principios de la década de 2010 cuando la gente comenzó a llamarla vieja). la discriminación por edad ya no es una cosa tbh. 

Diría que es como Selena Gomez (incluso más popular y exitosa que Selena porque tiene más éxito mundial + más canciones populares + más dinero/patrocinios/industria de la moda/películas). música flop pero buena imagen/tabloides.

Las listas de éxitos de Selena Gomez son bastante trágicas. su carrera comenzó hace más de una década. Compara Beyoncé/Rihanna/Britney/Madonna/JLo/Shakira/Aguilera/Ariana Grande/Katy Perry/Taylor Swift primeros 10 años vs. Selena Gomez. Selena es una música B-lister al igual que Demi Lovato. Dua Lipa y Ariana Grande son las únicas chicas pop """"nuevas"""" de la lista A. Miley Cyrus es discutible. 

She is only "bigger" than Shakira 'cause she is also a movie actress and that obviously broadens her popularity, plus she is an entrepreneur with multiple products with her name on them.

The credit really goes to Shakira, who being only a singer and "really latina" almost equals Jlo and surpasses other singers.

It makes me angry that Jlo always says she is very proud of being "Latina" but she is not,
she was born in the US and never grew up in a Latin country, she has never lived in Puerto Rico.
Only her parents are Latinos and that doesn't make you Latino.
Shakira was born and raised until she was a teenager in Colombia. the most famous latina in the world.:shaktongue_shakira_red:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

JLo is arguably the smartest and most hardworking out of her peers. Sometimes her creative efforts pay off, sometimes they flop, but she’s resilient, she has thicc skin and pulls through, whereas her contemporaries go on hiatuses after their album flops or their movies bomb, or simple if they don’t want pursue a new project.  JLo doesn’t. She understands the game, and plays it better than everyone else. 

I’m a bit of a JLo historian myself, so if you look back at her career you’ll notice a trend:

• 1998 - 2003: JLo explosive debut carried over to her sophomore and third album. It peak and remained high thanks to the tabloids around Bennifer and the blockbuster films. Then it slowed down. 

• 2004 - 2009: She had moderate success and continued to decline after her album Rebirth which did decent numbers. Her first Spanish album was a success relatively speaking but during “Brave” is when she flopped hard in music and film, and continued to do so for the next three years. People started giving up on her, but she had a plan up her a $ s, I mean sleeve.

• 2010 - 2014: like a Phoenix, JLo rose from the ashes and scored her biggest hit  in her entire career with OTF. She had moderate successes with her follow up singles and greatest hits album. Even her romcom films were doing wellnumbers in the box office. She went on a global tour too and was the highest paid judge on American idol.

• 2015 - 2020: she stopped releasing albums because she understood that if you’re not Adele or Taylor Swift, your numbers will be dismal. She kept releasing singles that were not successful but made up for it with the residency and a global tour. She also r excelled in her role in Hustlers which was a hit critically and commercially. To the era on a positive note, she co headlined the Super Bowl with Shakira, which seen as the most entertaining halftime performance of all time. 

all the while, she’s been everywhere with beauty, cosmetics, skincare, nutrition, TV shows, talent shows.

she really has done it all.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Alex Murr said:

She is only "bigger" than Shakira 'cause she is also a movie actress and that obviously broadens her popularity, plus she is an entrepreneur with multiple products with her name on them.

The credit really goes to Shakira, who being only a singer and "really latina" almost equals Jlo and surpasses other singers.

It makes me angry that Jlo always says she is very proud of being "Latina" but she is not,
she was born in the US and never grew up in a Latin country, she has never lived in Puerto Rico.
Only her parents are Latinos and that doesn't make you Latino.
Shakira was born and raised until she was a teenager in Colombia. the most famous latina in the world.:shaktongue_shakira_red:

Don't you forget her Arab side :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack: Queen of Lebanon :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

Jokes aside, it's a pity she doesn't make songs in Arabic anymore and sticks to bellydancing. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, do the thing said:

Don't you forget her Arab side :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack: Queen of Lebanon :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

Jokes aside, it's a pity she doesn't make songs in Arabic anymore and sticks to bellydancing. 

she has Arab ancestry but far away. 
She was born in Colombia, her mother was born in Colombia, 
her father was born in the United States and raised in Colombia.

Only her father has Arab ancestry but on her grandparents' side.
You are and represent where you were born, it has nothing to do with the descent of our parents, does it?

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Alex Murr said:

she has Arab ancestry but far away. 
She was born in Colombia, her mother was born in Colombia, 
her father was born in the United States and raised in Colombia.

Only her father has Arab ancestry but on her grandparents' side.
You are and represent where you were born, it has nothing to do with the descent of our parents, does it?

Oh I didn't say she was equally both :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek: I'm definitely aware that she's fare more Colombian than Lebanese, it's just that her Arab roots heavily influenced her career, especially on the dancing part (she's renowned for that), and also on the singing style/instrumental. Some of her biggest hits are influenced by it. That's why I was saying this. It's not like she isn't using her Arab heritage at all. She's using it quite a lot. I was just saying that it's a pity that she doesn't have more Arabic-style songs anymore, especially since it worked quite amazingly for her (beautiful liars, whenever/wherever). She sang in Arabic plenty of times, did some Egyptian bellydancing quite impressively in Morocco, and visited most of the Arab world multiple times on tour. So yep she's pretty proud of using her Arab roots. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, IsraeliMatt said:

Disagree about your comment on her outlasting Shakira. Globally, I think Shakira is a much more important musical artist today. The amount of views her Spanish-language music videos get on YouTube, even the newest ones, are huge. 

THIS!

Also, I love Jay-Lo and I love her music.. But why are we comparing her to legends like Celine Dion? Its like comparing Apples to Oranges.

Celine Dion is one of the biggest names on the planet, definitely bigger than anyone you mentioned especially in Canada, Asia, , Europe, and the Middle East.   Even Christina and Shania are totally different in what they do when compared to Jay-Lo.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, do the thing said:

Oh I didn't say she was equally both :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek: I'm definitely aware that she's fare more Colombian than Lebanese, it's just that her Arab roots heavily influenced her career, especially on the dancing part (she's renowned for that), and also on the singing style/instrumental. Some of her biggest hits are influenced by it. That's why I was saying this. It's not like she isn't using her Arab heritage at all. She's using it quite a lot. I was just saying that it's a pity that she doesn't have more Arabic-style songs anymore, especially since it worked quite amazingly for her (beautiful liars, whenever/wherever). She sang in Arabic plenty of times, did some Egyptian bellydancing quite impressively in Morocco, and visited most of the Arab world multiple times on tour. So yep she's pretty proud of using her Arab roots. 

You are right, it's a pity she doesn't do Arabic style songs, but in her last tour (2018) she still performs and dances her Arabic songs.

• Love 1

She continues to work,  but I mean her music isn't really successful compared to any of her peers. Aside from Hustlers, her films haven't been big hits and aren't all that memorable. She's more just known as a celebrity at this point, she dates other celebrities that are also pretty high profile like Ben Affleck and Alex Rodriguez. None of the other people you mentioned have dated other high profile celebs for a while. I wouldn't really say she's more successful than any of them (well maybe except Xtina), she just takes on more projects. She looks great lol, which would probably be why she has more followers on IG. Also, I wouldn't really use IG followers as a basis as those followers can be bought. I like J.Lo, no hating, and she definitely works hard, but I don't think she's "outlasted" her peers, she just seems to want to work more that the rest of them. 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block