Jennifer Lopez has outlasted almost all of her peers. Why?

57 minutes ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

Sad Britney Spears GIF

It is rather amazing that she has lasted so long. Her music doesn’t do that well these days. And her early stuff was almost entirely the work of other artists with her face/visuals paired with it. 
She does seem to work hard to stay in the game though. No denying she’s a huge name so I guess when you’re as big a star as she is, if you want it and you’re willing to work for it, you can stay prosperous. 
She really did the Madonna. She did the absolute best with what little she had and spun straw into silk. Even more amazing considering she had less and has turned it into 3 decades of fortune with seemingly no end in sight. Good for her I guess. 

Interesting perspective. It’s incredible how she’s maintained such longevity, relevancy and success within the industry. She really did take the Madonna route considering both were written-off fairly early into their careers. In JLo’s case, she probably even had it worse. Her staying power is truly something to be studied.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, GODYONCE IS A LEGEND said:

On a popularity and global scale, Jennifer has outlasted Shakira which is ironic because I too used to think that Shakira was more global. 

Jennifer has almost triple the amount of Instagram followers than Shakira. She is also more globally searched based on Google’s search index. Yes, Shakira may be more musically relevant but Jennifer Lopez is arguably the bigger name.

I had no idea J.Lo had so many instagram followers. I didn't know anyone had that many. 

I suppose part of Jennifer's edge on Shakira then has been her ability to remain more culturally significant in the US (which goes back to her continuing to star in successful films). Shakira is the biggest ever crossover pop star from Latin America to the English-language music market , but IMO, her profile in the Anglo world has declined a lot. The public will continue to love her biggest hits like 'Hips Don't Lie' and 'Whenever, Wherever.' It's the Spanish-speaking world where she is a huge star today though, not the US/the UK/etc. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, KrisJ said:

Another THIEF you stan Godna :fakecry_christina_aguilera_xtina_crying_tears_wipe_sad:

What is going ON? :trash_throw_away_recycle::fakecry_christina_aguilera_xtina_crying_tears_wipe_sad::fakecry_christina_aguilera_xtina_crying_tears_wipe_sad:

Thief or not, she is one of the most globally relevant celebrities and artists of all time. At least I know she’s got you perched when you resort to a SJW YouTube channel made in somebody’s basement as an attempt to drag her. Go on, keep her name in yo crusty mouth while she wakes up every morning making more in 1 second than you’ve made in your life. How relevant indeed. :comingthru_miss_ny_new_york_pollard_tiffany_walk_runway_hair:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, britney_rocks said:

Aw I miss your old username :receipts2_britney_um_browsing_browse:

What’s wrong with this one :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

30 minutes ago, BananaBoy98 said:

Queen of stealing vocals and ideas from others :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red:

More like queen of being forever rich, relevant and successful while also being a smart businesswoman. Maybe you should try ‘stealing vocals and ideas’ if you think you’ll gain any of the above. Jlo is that *****, stay mad. :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red:

29 minutes ago, BananaBoy98 said:

Since you wanna go there :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red:

23 minutes ago, Addicted_Heart said:

I Dont Know Her Mariah Carey GIF by MOODMAN

How original :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red:

• Love 1

She is not selling songs anymore but looks. She doesn't have a real hit song after On the floor. Superbowl show and Hustlers movie helped her popularity big time.Kinda resurrected her career again. She knows how to put a show. Her discipline is insane. She managed to look like she is in her 30s and dancing like in her 20s. 

43 minutes ago, GODYONCE IS A LEGEND said:

What’s wrong with this one :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

More like queen of being forever rich, relevant and successful while also being a smart businesswoman. Maybe you should try ‘stealing vocals and ideas’ if you think you’ll gain any of the above. Jlo is that *****, stay mad. :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red:

Since you wanna go there :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red:

How original :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red:

Sorry but her career were built from stealing vocals from demo tracks. And probably after 2005(?) she started with her voice doing most of work? Also Ain't Your Mama is Meghan in most. And if you think that I would like to be "successful" for stealing vocals and ideas from others, you're wrong. I'd be ashamed for all this s**t!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GODYONCE IS A LEGEND said:

Thief or not, she is one of the most globally relevant celebrities and artists of all time. At least I know she’s got you perched when you resort to a SJW YouTube channel made in somebody’s basement as an attempt to drag her. Go on, keep her name in yo crusty mouth while she wakes up every morning making more in 1 second than you’ve made in your life. How relevant indeed. :comingthru_miss_ny_new_york_pollard_tiffany_walk_runway_hair:

She has bops and remains relevant I’ll give you THAT :enigma_alien_blue:

Don’t bring my paycheuqè into it plz. She probably earns more than all of exhale combined 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GODYONCE IS A LEGEND said:

You can somewhat argue the same for Selena Gomez too. She’s the most followed female artist on Instagram and currently has only 3 studio albums under her name. Her latest album didn’t even scan gold and her EP miserably flopped. She also has pretty poor streaming numbers when compared to almost all of her 2010s mpg peers like Gaga, Rihanna, Miley, Beyoncé, Taylor, Ariana and even Billie. The only ex-act she’s outstreaming is Demi. Guess you can say it’s the staying power of being Latina. :comingthru_miss_ny_new_york_pollard_tiffany_walk_runway_hair:

Instagram followers doesnt say anything about her current status as an artist. I would put Selena in the catogory of artists who have big numbers to back them up, but have zero impact in the music industry, so eventually their career suffers. Example of this is someone like Katy Perry who used to be the number 1 artist based on charts and streams, and now shes literally a nobody! Selena is more like a Katy Perry than a J.lo

• Love 1

Jennifer's longevity in music/movies/entertainment is due to her charisma, cool songs and relatable movies. I like her so much! I've been in her concerts back in the day and I may firmly say-I was amazed and beyond by all she does on stage. 

Jennifer Lopez is also real, humble and relatable, making you feel part of her inncer circle and the fact she cares of ordinary people and people of humble origin, which once she was part of. 

I think we all can identify in a way to Jenn's story....Jennifer Lopez Yes GIF by Marry Mejennifer lopez applause GIF by NBC World Of Dance

• Love 2

she didn't outlast Shakira though :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek: perhaps in the US but not outside, her MVs are WW hits after WW hits and streaming-wise she's insane on YouTube :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

what's interesting though is how JLo is insanely popular despite having very poor commercial success when it comes to her music and being 53 y.o. (same age as Madonna at the beginning of the 2010s when people started to call her old). ageism ain't really a thing anymore tbh. 

I'd say it's just like Selena Gomez (even more popular-successful than Selena because she has more global success + more popular songs + more money/sponsorships/fashion industry/movies). flop music but good image/tabloids.

3 hours ago, GODYONCE IS A LEGEND said:

You can somewhat argue the same for Selena Gomez too. She’s the most followed female artist on Instagram and currently has only 3 studio albums under her name. Her latest album didn’t even scan gold and her EP miserably flopped. She also has pretty poor streaming numbers when compared to almost all of her 2010s mpg peers like Gaga, Rihanna, Miley, Beyoncé, Taylor, Ariana and even Billie. The only ex-act she’s outstreaming is Demi. Guess you can say it’s the staying power of being Latina. :comingthru_miss_ny_new_york_pollard_tiffany_walk_runway_hair:

Selena Gomez charts are pretty tragic. her career started more than a decade ago. Compare Beyoncé/Rihanna/Britney/Madonna/JLo/Shakira/Aguilera/Ariana Grande/Katy Perry/Taylor Swift first 10 years vs. Selena Gomez. Selena is a B-lister musician just like Demi Lovato. Dua Lipa & Ariana Grande are the only """"new"""" A-listers pop girls. Miley Cyrus is debatable. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block