Jennifer Lopez has outlasted almost all of her peers. Why?

Jennifer Lopez has outlasted almost all of her peers such as Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Shania Twain, Shakira, Christina Aguilera and many others in terms of global popularity. She currently has 220 million Instagram followers making her the 16th most followed account on the site’s platform which is more than any of her 90s pop contemporaries or acting peers, including Jennifer Aniston, and she is the 4th most searched female artist of all time since the creation of the Internet; only behind Britney Spears, Rihanna and Beyoncé. In 2020, she was the 4th highest paid female artist behind Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift and  Billie Eilish. In the last five years, she’s starred in 3 major blockbuster hits and continues to release music almost every year with some of the hottest industry names such as Bad Bunny, Cardi B, Maluma, Rauw Alejandro and several others. Her mega-successful Planet Hollywood residency, ‘All I Have’ was also considered as one of the most successful Las Vegas residencies of all time — at one point breaking the record for the highest-grossing show in the theater’s history. In 2020, she headlined the Super Bowl Half Time Show and her Netflix documentary to go alongside ‘Halftime’ has been one of the most-viewed documentaries of 2022 so far. Also taking into account is her highly-successful fashion brand which is credited for spearheading the trend of celebrities launching their own lines — whether it’s make-up, perfume, clothing, and/or other products. As of date, her record-breaking fragrance line has become the most successful celebrity line in the world, with sales exceeding $2 billion. As if running a billion-dollar empire wasn’t enough, she is also credited for inventing Google Images and continues to be a major topic of discussion in all the tabloids, magazines and pop culture gossip sites. The question remains, why is Jennifer Lopez aka Jenny from the Block aka J.LO still such a celebrity force 25 years after her major breakthrough despite being written off so early in her career?

Discuss.

• Love 6

Because she relies more on being a celebrity than her work. Her last album was released almost 10 years ago! People love her just because, like how they love Jennifer Aniston, even though she hasnt been working on anything in years. Not every celebrity can do this though..

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2

Sad Britney Spears GIF

It is rather amazing that she has lasted so long. Her music doesn’t do that well these days. And her early stuff was almost entirely the work of other artists with her face/visuals paired with it. 
She does seem to work hard to stay in the game though. No denying she’s a huge name so I guess when you’re as big a star as she is, if you want it and you’re willing to work for it, you can stay prosperous. 
She really did the Madonna. She did the absolute best with what little she had and spun straw into silk. Even more amazing considering she had less and has turned it into 3 decades of fortune with seemingly no end in sight. Good for her I guess. 

• Love 5
  • Like 1

Disagree about your comment on her outlasting Shakira. Globally, I think Shakira is a much more important musical artist today. The amount of views her Spanish-language music videos get on YouTube, even the newest ones, are huge. 

I think the key of Jennifer's success is that she's spread her career across various different activities very successfully. She's had success in film, TV series, music, touring, probably even some kind of merchandising with fashion or makeup (I don't care about that, so idk). Jennifer has been able to maintain success in these different areas very well whereas some celebrities might see one dwindle and jump ship totally to another like Jessica Simpson going from music to fashion. I think it also helps that within Jennifer's film career, she established herself early on as a successful romantic comedy lead. Compared to her more niche artsy movies like 'The Cell,' romantic comedies will be seen widely by the public. She's been starring in those for years from 'Maid in Manhattan' to the recent one 'Marry Me.' Romantic comedies have an audience that skews more toward women, and women who see them are likely to enjoy her other work, and possibly be empowered by how she's stayed fit and athletic as she's aged. 

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, IsraeliMatt said:

Disagree about your comment on her outlasting Shakira. Globally, I think Shakira is a much more important musical artist today. The amount of views her Spanish-language music videos get on YouTube, even the newest ones, are huge. 

I think the key of Jennifer's success is that she's spread her career across various different activities very successfully. She's had success in film, TV series, music, touring, probably even some kind of merchandising with fashion or makeup (I don't care about that, so idk). Jennifer has been able to maintain success in these different areas very well whereas some celebrities might see one dwindle and jump ship totally to another like Jessica Simpson going from music to fashion. I think it also helps that within Jennifer's film career, she established herself early on as a successful romantic comedy lead. Compared to her more niche artsy movies like 'The Cell,' romantic comedies will be seen widely by the public. She's been starring in those for years from 'Maid in Manhattan' to the recent one 'Marry Me.' Romantic comedies have an audience that skews more toward women, and women who see them are likely to enjoy her other work, and possibly be empowered by how she's stayed fit and athletic as she's aged. 

On a popularity and global scale, Jennifer has outlasted Shakira which is ironic because I too used to think that Shakira was more global. 

Jennifer has almost triple the amount of Instagram followers than Shakira. She is also more globally searched based on Google’s search index. Yes, Shakira may be more musically relevant but Jennifer Lopez is arguably the bigger name.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Prince Ali said:

Well she works really hard, she doesn't only rely on her music but also on acting and producing gigs plus has a line of own cosmetics (and who knows what else).

It really is inspiring that she never settles for what she has achieved in the past but keeps pushing herself even harder :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

True

• Love 1
1 hour ago, fays1 said:

Because she relies more on being a celebrity than her work. Her last album was released almost 10 years ago! People love her just because, like how they love Jennifer Aniston, even though she hasnt been working on anything in years. Not every celebrity can do this though..

You can somewhat argue the same for Selena Gomez too. She’s the most followed female artist on Instagram and currently has only 3 studio albums under her name. Her latest album didn’t even scan gold and her EP miserably flopped. She also has pretty poor streaming numbers when compared to almost all of her 2010s mpg peers like Gaga, Rihanna, Miley, Beyoncé, Taylor, Ariana and even Billie. The only ex-act she’s outstreaming is Demi. Guess you can say it’s the staying power of being Latina. :comingthru_miss_ny_new_york_pollard_tiffany_walk_runway_hair:

• Haha 4

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block