Don't you think Britney's VMAS 2016 performance was sabotaged ?

I watched the performance again, for me it was great and it's a shame she didn't do more songs. It's strange that it was supposed to be her great return and she only did one song with two dancers and minimal effects. I think it was intentional, they didn't want her to do more, from her team I think but also from the VMAS organizers themselves 🤔

She didn't have the possibility to show what she was really capable of, like the Billboard Music Awards one, with what we know now, it's really infuriating.

ADVERTISING

Skip
Ads by

Skip
Ads by

She was even supposed to sing live, at least for me, myself and I from what I heard.

All of this is strange, I really think she was sabotaged, it's just so unfair 😔🥺 With the cruelty of comments from 6 years ago (some more recent,without any empathy, including from youtubers if you know of who I'm talking about...), I just hate humanity sometimes 😥

We can support Britney and with all we know now, she was just so strong to go on that stage with all the abuse she suffered and perform again, despite all she was going through. 

What do you think about this  ? Discuss 

• Love 3

I used to believe that the performance was simple, as a choice, but in retrospect, looking at how everything was handled after this from other performances to tours to announcements etc. I feel like her team just didn't want to invest in anything, unless they got outrageous cuts. Britney, herself, killed this performance but the lack of spectacle comes from a budget, and who controlled budget? I mean, they had her record Me, Myself and I for it.

As much as MTV have used Britney's name for promotion, they went all out in advertising Britney's VMA return, the advertisements were incredible and hype building. They want spectacle, its why they got Britney, Beyonce and Rihanna on the same night, and both Rihanna and Beyonce brought spectacle to the night. It can't be MTVs budget; they literally could have money to burn and expect what they're paying out for.

Everything was simple, not because it was an effort to showcase Britney (if that was thr case, we would have had stronger choreography, prerecorded vocals and maybe a new single), but to cut corners, because all they paid for was limited dancers, a white sheet and a large light.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Future Nostalgia said:

It was underwhelming but still really good for her recent performances. She should’ve performed or premiered Slumber Party with Tinashe. The whole eyes wide shut with bubbles and all that dancing would have been perfect for the centre stage

Yes of course it was better, she was more into it, more happy to do this, maybe it was also a moment where she was a little bit more in control but there were still some shady things... Yes it would have been really great, at list two songs with more possibilities of creation 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

I used to believe that the performance was simple, as a choice, but in retrospect, looking at how everything was handled after this from other performances to tours to announcements etc. I feel like her team just didn't want to invest in anything, unless they got outrageous cuts. Britney, herself, killed this performance but the lack of spectacle comes from a budget, and who controlled budget? I mean, they had her record Me, Myself and I for it.

As much as MTV have used Britney's name for promotion, they went all out in advertising Britney's VMA return, the advertisements were incredible and hype building. They want spectacle, its why they got Britney, Beyonce and Rihanna on the same night, and both Rihanna and Beyonce brought spectacle to the night. It can't be MTVs budget; they literally could have money to burn and expect what they're paying out for.

Everything was simple, not because it was an effort to showcase Britney (if that was thr case, we would have had stronger choreography, prerecorded vocals and maybe a new single), but to cut corners, because all they paid for was limited dancers, a white sheet and a large light.

Yes I think you're right, with more budget, it would have been very different we know that. They just didn't want to invest more on her, maybe it's really just her team but it's strange that MTV allowed her to have just one song as well. It's a shame really, she didn't have the possibility to really showcase herself and she did great with what she was given

No, it wasn't. She performed her new single Make Me to promote her upcoming album. It would have been pointless to perform another mix of her songs when you have a brand new album out. Also, she did that medley at the BBMAs because she received the Billboard Music Special Millennium Award so it made a lot of sense :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

Her performance at the VMAs was minimalist and I really liked it that way, but I would have preferred for the 'Me, myself and I' part to be 100% live, but it was pre-recorded as well. There was nothing wrong with her mic, otherwise no voice would have come out of it. What really annoyed me was the messy and obvious lipsync rather than the lipsync per sei. She used to be a pro on that, but with that mic in her hand it was just embarrassing. Now was Britney's choice to be prerecorded? maybe, maybe not. Was it VMAs request to be pre-recorded? maybe, maybe not.

My honest opinion is that Britney was so over the VMAs by that time so she didn't give her 100% - Her former team probably convinced her into doing it and she just wanted to please them, promote her song and move on  :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

• Love 2
  • Like 3
57 minutes ago, Almost Mystical said:

I always think her VMA performance is sending a message. Shadow hands controlling her life from behind the screen. And somehow it’s something that looks like really her idea. No flashy big budget spectacle, just her giving us signs for Free Britney. 

Yes in a way, it's a message of her situation. Sometimes it's also more genuine to not have many effects. 

42 minutes ago, pablitonizer said:

No, it wasn't. She performed her new single Make Me to promote her upcoming album. It would have been pointless to perform another mix of her songs when you have a brand new album out. Also, she did that medley at the BBMAs because she received the Billboard Music Special Millennium Award so it made a lot of sense :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

Her performance at the VMAs was minimalist and I really liked it that way, but I would have preferred for the 'Me, myself and I' part to be 100% live, but it was pre-recorded as well. There was nothing wrong with her mic, otherwise no voice would have come out of it. What really annoyed me was the messy and obvious lipsync rather than the lipsync per sei. She used to be a pro on that, but with that mic in her hand it was just embarrassing. Now was Britney's choice to be prerecorded? maybe, maybe not. Was it VMAs request to be pre-recorded? maybe, maybe not.

My honest opinion is that Britney was so over the VMAs by that time so she didn't give her 100% - Her former team probably convinced her into doing it and she just wanted to please them, promote her song and move on  :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

I don't know, it was clearly not enough to promote an album. But yes it would have been better if she sang Me, myself and I live (she maybe didn't have a say in it). For the lipsync part yes it should have been done better, they didn't do any effort. Yes she was doing this performance but she was not at her 100 % because she was not as much into it as she was before the conservatorship and the way they treated her but maybe she also wanted to do the performance differently but was not allowed to. We may never know the truth 

9 minutes ago, s&m said:

How can you say that Britney didn’t give her 100%? She did so good! The execution by Britney was really good! The production itself could have been better of course but Britney herself was excellent 

Yes I know she was good and the production overshadowed it. I think she just could have done even better with more songs, more effects, more dancers but at the end of the day, it's true that doing a minimalist show sometimes is good as well and more genuine

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block