Justin Timberlake sells his entire music catalog of 200+ songs for $100 million

1 hour ago, Haha-Hehe-Haha-Ho said:

Well after his buddy Ashton Kutcher made a fortune off being an early investor in Uber, he went through a phase (around Social Network movie era) of investing in many tech startups. I guess he fancied himsef a genius angel investor or something; The thing is, tech investing is very cash intensive and there's a high failure rate for startups. It's a very risky and competitive business enviornment, even for seasoned tech industry veterans so I wouldn't be suprised if his bets failed to pan out like they did for Kutcher.

Especially now that interest rights are rising, startups are the first to suffer liquidity issues due to lack of collateral. He's probably holding a basket of rotten eggs so he may be selling his catalog out of sheer desperation.

I remember when he literally bought Myspace when it had already burned to the ground. Such a dumb decision and he for sure lost money on that deal.

• Love 3
  • Haha 3
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, PickleSpears said:

What does that really mean? They can do what they want with his music without his permission?

Yes, if he sold 100% rights to his music then they can do anything mainly how dead acts estate work now. Dolly is also under works but don't want to sell all the rights for her music, considering she has no kids she has been thinking to do it. 

If Justin sold everything then 100M is an amazing deal, company will make money in pieces in near future. 

1 hour ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

Like him or not, JT was one of the last big pop stars from the 2000s, he’s kinda the last of a dying breed. This is big news. 

Not really.. this essentially means nothing.

He just sold the rights to his catalogue, he will still be able to perform and earn money from revenue and such. Just now it will be split.. depending on the deal that was struck.

A lot of artists do this. It also creates more exposure for the music. This really means nothing.

• Love 2
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Britney'sBish said:

That seems like a dumb move to me.

Did he need a quick cash in or something?

I don't now why people are making a big deal out of this.

Many artists have been doing this in the past years,  from Bob Dylan to Shakira to Blondie, Mark Ronson, Barry Manilow, Neil Young, etc. 

You can see it as a quick cash, but it's probably more or about the same they would make out of those songs in their lifetime, so they rather just get the money already. At first it was done by older artists like Bob Dylan for example, in a sort of "I rather enjoy all the royalties now before I pass" but it's more and more common that younger artists and bands start doing it nowadays, or late artists like Bob Marley. 

People like Shakira or Justin Timberlake can keep creating more music in the following years anyways, or other endeavors, but meanwhile they already got their cash for their biggest hits instead of waiting until they're 80 or 90 to see that sum. 

Sometimes it's not the artist's decision though, like in the case of Taylor Swift (the whole reason why she started re-recording her songs again) 

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, A.a.A said:

Not really.. this essentially means nothing.

He just sold the rights to his catalogue, he will still be able to perform and earn money from revenue and such. Just now it will be split.. depending on the deal that was struck.

A lot of artists do this. It also creates more exposure for the music. This really means nothing.

yeah they basically give up control on the rights of the music, like if someone wants to use a song for a movie, a videogame, a show, a cover, a sample, etc, they just don't handle that anymore, nor won't get any extra money out of it in form of royalties (unless it's specified in the deal as you said), but they already got their compensation all at once.

I don't know how much money they end up making out of sales and streams these days, but based on calculations of what they would earn from now until they pass away, it probably would be about the same, or who knows, but they end up taking the risk of maybe getting less than what they would've made in their lifetime, but in exchange they get to enjoy the money while they're alive, and maybe use it for other businesses, investments, etc. 

Now it's up to the companies that are buying these, like Hipgnosis Songs etc, to make the most out of these hundreds of catalogues they're buying. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Korb said:

He's clearly stepping away from music. Honestly, he seems a bit young at only 41 though. Guess he's just lost interest...as people have lost interest in him

that's not necessarily true.

Many artists have sold their catalogues, and they continue to perform and make new music, like Shakira or Mark Ronson. 

These deals don't include the future music they can make. 

• Love 1

I first heard about a move like this with Shakira not long ago, and I was SHOCKED to the core..... Then I was like whatever, she already milked those songs anyway, it's part of global culture now, and she can keep working on new stuff anyway.

But what about Britney? Do you have to have WRITTEN the songs to be able to sell them like Shakira or Justin did?

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block