Justin Timberlake sells his entire music catalog of 200+ songs for $100 million

• Leader

Justin Timberlake sold the rights to his song catalog to Blackstone Inc.-backed Hipgnosis Song Management. Via Bloomberg:

The deal was valued at just above $100 million, Dow Jones reported, citing people familiar with matter. It gives Hipgnosis full ownership and control over the pop star’s interest in some 200 songs he wrote or co-wrote spanning his career. 

Dayum :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised:jt-deal.jpg.03119d8834309b02977d6b8f845ccd55.jpgjt-deal.jpg.03119d8834309b02977d6b8f845ccd55.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, Stefani said:

After listening to his most recent album, I'm struggling to believe that his catalog is worth that much. Seriously who even streams/buys JT's music anymore? :idgi_dont_get_it_how_confused_what_hmm_umm_thinking:

My guess is that the buyer is hoping to recoup that money through licensing deals, so expect to see JT's songs be featured in commercials, tv shows, and movies a lot more. Usually artists maintain control over licensing to limit how their work is used but now that he's not part of the equation, I wouldn't be suprised to see it used in increasingly tacky and tasteless ways. There's nothing like "Suit & Tie" being played over the same Men's Warehouse commercial for a decade+ to further erode what's left of his legacy.

• Haha 8
  • Like 1

I mean I have no idea how this stuff works, I’m not a scientist :gagacrash_driving_run_hit_lady_sunglasses:

but if I were JT and someone offered me that amount, I’d think they were outta their mind and take it screaming :blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom: 

no offense bro, but you haven’t exactly delivered in a hot minute and it probably won’t happen again, it doesn’t seem like he wants to be a full time music force. 

33 minutes ago, Britney'sBish said:

Did he need a quick cash in or something?

Well after his buddy Ashton Kutcher made a fortune off being an early investor in Uber, he went through a phase (around Social Network movie era) of investing in many tech startups. I guess he fancied himsef a genius angel investor or something; The thing is, tech investing is very cash intensive and there's a high failure rate for startups. It's a very risky and competitive business enviornment, even for seasoned tech industry veterans so I wouldn't be suprised if his bets failed to pan out like they did for Kutcher.

Especially now that interest rights are rising, startups are the first to suffer liquidity issues due to lack of collateral. He's probably holding a basket of rotten eggs so he may be selling his catalog out of sheer desperation.

• Like 6

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block