Vocal Splicing in Shadow

Something I just noticed when listening to ITZ

In the second verse, Britney's voice is spliced with another singers' (I think Lauren Christy of The Matrix?)

What is the point in splicing literal one syllable words lol? Is this the earliest example of the Myah Jean ****ery???

Key: Britney, Lauren(?)

[Verse 2]:

Your body gives, but then holds back

The sun is bright, the sky is black

Can only be another sign

I cannot keep what isn't mine

Your laughter, it lingers on

But you, you were almost gone

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Louis-j said:

Strangest Love was done in 2006 tho.

https://popdirt.com/britney-spears-working-with-guy-chambers/9417/

Britney reportedly worked with Guy Chambers (Strangest Love producer) in 2002 for another track that probably won't ever leak called Sacred and was meant for ITZ aswell, tho.

I don't get why he stated months ago she did it (Sacred) around 2006 when there's literally an article from October 2002 (the one i found above) talking about it...i assume he probably got confused :parisok_hilton_chewing_gum_pink_phone_Reading:

So yeah, rumors stating she recorded SL in 2006 aswell are unlikely. :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams:

• Love 3
  • Like 2

this is vocal comping i think,  it's the process of combining the best parts of multiple vocal takes to create one flawless vocal performance, maybe they couldn't find a good Britney take for that part and they asked a backup singer or they used the demo vocals from the songwriter... I would give Britney the benefit of the doubt, she was so overworked back then, maybe she didn't have time to rerecord those parts. 

it's very common in mainstream corporate pop music 

they also did this with Vanessa Hudgens's songs on High School Musical... 

some Jennifer Lopez songs have very questionable vocals too (They kept Ashanti and Christina Milian's demo vocals)

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 4
41 minutes ago, Tear the floor up up said:

This is nothing compared to the chorus of early morning or the bridge of Cinderella :orangu_orangutan_ape:

13 minutes ago, Void said:

this is called vocal comping,  it's the process of combining the best parts of multiple vocal takes to create one flawless vocal performance, maybe they couldn't find a good Britney take for that part and they asked a backup singer or they used the demo vocals from the songwriter... U know Britney was so overworked back then, maybe she didn't have time to rerecord those parts. 

it's very common in mainstream corporate pop music 

they also did this with Vanessa Hudgens's songs on High School Musical... 

some Jennifer Lopez songs have very questionable vocals too (They kept Ashanti and Christina Milian's demo vocals)

I think we also need to realize that some of this is a stylistic choice and not because someone didn't sing a certain part or even didn't do it well. Music making is as much about technicality as it is about sonically good tunes. At times, a producer can choose to use the backing vocals or demo vocals because it adds texture, for example. Brandy, who is referred to as the vocal bible, is a vocalist (unlike J.Lo) and there are songs on Never Say Never where the back-up artists are singing in the foreground. It's not a measure of Brandy's inability. Just another take I'm offering.

15 minutes ago, jms910 said:

I’ve always deeply loved this beautiful haunting song 🤍

Finally! Someone with taste. Some of y'all only like dance-pop songs and it shows…

• Love 2
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, andreafly1 said:

https://popdirt.com/britney-spears-working-with-guy-chambers/9417/

Britney reportedly worked with Guy Chambers (Strangest Love producer) in 2002 for another track that probably won't ever leak called Sacred and was meant for ITZ aswell, tho.

I don't get why he stated months ago she did it (Sacred) around 2006 when there's literally an article from October 2002 (the one i found above) talking about it...i assume he probably got confused :parisok_hilton_chewing_gum_pink_phone_Reading:

So yeah, rumors stating she recorded SL in 2006 aswell are unlikely. :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams:

He definitely mixed years for "Sacred" cause he even said Britney was "in her imperial" era, it was definitely for ITZ.

Maybe we should ask the other writer Brian McFadden for the exact date... otherwise, we'll never know for sure.  :juggingu_britney_hat_meme_neyde:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Circuit said:

The difference in vocals is so glaring :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

How can you guys not hear it??

It's a different delivery, it's made on purpose, but it's still Britney, she can play with her voice.

Have you ever heard Me Against the Music verses ? The way she transforms her voice...

There's heavy backing vocals on Shadow but they are in the back, like where they are supposed to be. The main vocals are 100% Britney. :parisok_hilton_chewing_gum_pink_phone_Reading:

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block