Joshua Bassett says artists are responsible for their fans' behavior (cough Olivia Rodrigo cough)

6 hours ago, anthony7226 said:

This can be said about MOST fandoms. Nicki's is by far the most problematic to me, followed by Beyonce's. Taylor's fanbase is bad, I'll admit it. While I am a huge Taylor stan, her bevy of teen girls and boys (now probably young women and men) can be quite aggressive. But even Britney's (whom I stan far more!) fanbase can be exeptionally "Toxic" with all of their death threats and such. Ari's and Katy's fandom aren't far behind. Now we have BTS's who aren't proving themselves to be much better. So, before we just go calling out Taylor, let's remember that out of millions of fans in a fandom, it is hard to control all of them. Immature people will do immature things. Toxic people will do toxic things. There's always a bad apple and no amount of trying to calm them down will get everyone on board. Fandoms just really need to chill the heck down and appreciate, love, adore, whatever. But these celebrities don't need us to fight their battles and these fans need to realize that.

Yeah but this IS particularly different, because Taylor (and now Olivia, apparently) bases her career and discourse on others, mostly by bashing / shading. That is her narrative. Nicki, who I LOVE, has unfortunately been heading into that direction as well...

• Like 1
12 hours ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

I don't agree.

Nobody should be held accountable for people you don't even know.

Unless your lyrics literally tell your fans to haras someone, I don't see artists being guilty for their (fans) behavior.

I mean...what's next? You can't always point fingers to somebody else. Just look at yourself and stop blaming others (fans in this case).

Do artists have to raise their fans? No, their parents have to.

If I go let's say, beserk on a Xtina fan, does that mean Britney's accountable? Do you realize how dumb that even sounds????

The only thing artists can do is say: calm down and be respectful but if fans ignore that message then it's all on that person and not on the artist.

Period.

I really friggin hate how society is ALWAYS blaming somebody else BUT the person behaving bad. Ugh.

I partially agree with you. It's a very fine line. I think his statement is incomplete. And adding to what you said, has any of these artists said "calm down"? I honestly don't know, but I think the majority don't say a word. No, nobody should be held responsible for someone else's behavior, absolutely agreed. Buuuuut, these celebrities use their sheep as leverage. Taylor enjoys (cause otherwise, why has she allowed and encouraged) her fans bullying her "enemies". She builds a compelling narrative, that is her whole shtick, where she is always free of guilt and then, lets her idiots (not all her fans, just those who became zombified and lost their individuality) do the dirty job. I have never heard her say: guys, let's not do this or that. "Guys, it's been more than a decade, I dated this dude for 3-months, barely. Let it go." And to say those fans can get nasty is an understatement.  I haven't exactly followed her every step, but I don't recall her ever asking her fans to calm down. She throws crumbs and lets them be eaten. Does she not know? Of course she does, her soap opera is exactly how she built her brand.  Some of these people (the fans) relinquished their brains in the name of adoring someone who they don't know. They assume they are adorbs because they smile cutely on tv, because someone says they are awesome. Truth is, you never know. Artists are well aware of they delusion of many fans and they move those people as they please. It's a cat fight where the celebrity, cowardly, always leaves with his or her hands clean.

Speaking of Taylor, it's ironic how she complains so much about the bullying she suffered in 2016 and yet, it's exactly what she has encouraged her whole career and continues doing so. 

People are sometimes so deluded that they rather have someone they "adore" insult them than question their ****ty behaviors. I remember Bieber fans being thankful he spit on them. What the actual heck? It's insane how people elevate other people to heights that are just not real. 

So, although I agree that they can't be held responsible for everything, they do have power over people and.sometimes they should be called out

Do fans sometimes take things way to far? Yes.  ! The media outlets certainly dont  help either . They help feed the narrative that fans have created which causes more chaos . Artist should acknowledge things when their fans are out of line . But Olivia did In fact address the situation many times. Especially in regards to the whole narrative that was created about her , Joshua n Sabrina she said the whole things was stupid and that she resented the whole thing . That she hated that people were pitting them against each other. Like what else is home girl suppose to do … 

17 hours ago, Stefani said:

What a pointless thing to say tbh. Pop stars can't be held accountable for what their stans are doing. And it's funny how he's implying that Olivia's stans are a big problem, even though the most vicious stanbase at the moment are stans of a certain male K-Pop group. :ririshade2_rihanna_eyeroll_roll_eyes_annoyed_irritated_mad:

A vast majority of BTS fans are annoying. They'll try and shoot you down if you simply say you don't like BTS's music. 

• Love 1

First of all, what's with all these people attacking Taylor? She has never encouraged anyone to attack or bully other people, that's on the stans. Second, EVERY artist has toxic fans, not only Taylor or BTS. And then, an artist shouldn't have to be held accountable for their fans. That's not their responsibility. Although I do think they could say something if things go out of hand.

• 4 weeks later...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block