Reasons Why Britney Spears Is a Gay Icon

3 hours ago, returcus said:

Oh she is a gay icon - gays love singing women. But she's not an icon in sense that we are talking about - she never supported them in obvious ways. But that's nothing wrong about it.

You’re right , although it was like 18 years ago I found scenes from her in the zone all night special with drag queens awkward … she was a small town girl who was sheltered .. I don’t think she has any issues with gays but I also don’t see her as one to be an advocate for gays 

• Love 1

Excuse me - have we all suddenly forgot that she was being controlled for the last 13 years?! How can so many accounts on here be talking about her behavior in the past about the gay community - as if her public behavior in anyway was a reflection of what her actual thoughts were. She knows her fan base, obvi. and was rewarded at the GLAAD awards, her speech at the GLAAD awards, she wrote herself (however I am sure, was revised or at least approved by someone) She certainly is a gay icon. Not because she is gay but because so many gay individuals enjoy her as a person and enjoy her music. I think its foolish seeing so many comments on here about how she has acted in the past as if that serves as any type of reliable justification, as if anything was of her choosing. 

• Love 2

In 2001, Britney did a press conference where she was asked directly about her gay fans. Growing up in a conservative, predominantly Christian small American town, her answer could have been way different. And remember, this was years before gay marriage was legal in any US state and a decade before Born This Way.

She’s always approached everyone with compassion and sincerity, and she did the same here. An icon and an ally.

• Love 6

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block