Michelle Branch announces 20th anniversary of The Spirit Room Re recording on Vinyl and Streaming Services

rik

20 years ago this month, Michelle Branch came out with her debut studio album The Spirit Room. Despite years of disputes at Warner Brothers over album releases (she’d later go on to leave the company after being “dropped” in 2015, to reclaim her voice and release an album titled Hopeless Romantic in 2017), she just announced that she would be re releasing the Spirit Room on a double vinyl, with one disc being the original songs and the next being re recorded versions of the material 

I imagine they will sound something like this:

She was credited as bringing back pop rock prior to the likes of Avril Lavigne. She was also labelled an Anti-Britney for a bit of time since it was starting to become popular that very summer. 

the album, produced by John Shanks (who would later produce Ashlee Simpson and more pop rock acts in the early 2000s), spawned the hits Everywhere 

All You Wanted

and Goodbye To You, which was also featured on Buffy

the first single off the reworked version of the Spirit Room will be You Get Me. It comes out this Friday, August 13 2021. I can’t wait to hear what it will sound like! You can pre save it now. Here’s the 01 version: 

@SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN  @SlayOut @Isla @CrazyButItFeelsAllright @Jordan Miller @Urbanney @jordeezy @PokemonSpears

• Love 6
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, jordeezy said:

Love herrr! 💙 you remembered! 

Yes!!! :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support: I love Michelle and I’m genuinely so excited to hear what these will sound like. August 13th should be super interesting. It’s so cool to see how relevant 2001 is in 2021. Music wise at least, I feel like I’m there. Aaliyah billboards in time square across where TRL was shot, now Michelle Branch. Free Britney being huge as ever…. It’s just awesome. 

• Love 4

Omg, I CANNOT WAIT! :shaking_shake_gold_yellow: These songs and this album always makes me feel SOOOO nostalgic and takes me back to my childhood. An early 2000s TALENTED ICON. :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming: I still listen to Here with Me on repeat…such an amazing song and deserved the single treatment. Cant wait to hear the re-recording of it. :hype_britney_glory_jkl_jimmy_kimmel_live_laugh_lol_haha_hype_excited_pumped_lmao_cackle:  
On a side note — so many great albums and music came out that year. It’s no wonder that 2001 is considered as the greatest year of music from the 21st century. :shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Rik said:

Yes!!! :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support: I love Michelle and I’m genuinely so excited to hear what these will sound like. August 13th should be super interesting. It’s so cool to see how relevant 2001 is in 2021. Music wise at least, I feel like I’m there. Aaliyah billboards in time square across where TRL was shot, now Michelle Branch. Free Britney being huge as ever…. It’s just awesome. 

I have seen 2000s clothing styles coming back lately so prepare yourself for low rise bootcut Plummer cracks :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

Omg, I CANNOT WAIT! :shaking_shake_gold_yellow: These songs and this album always makes me feel SOOOO nostalgic and takes me back to my childhood. :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming: I still listen to Here with Me on repeat…such an amazing song and deserved the single treatment. :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming: 
On a side note — so many great albums and music came out that year. It’s no wonder that 2001 is considered as the greatest year of music from the 21st century. :shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

Justice for "Forever In Your Eyes" and "What's It Gonna Be"!!! 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

I have seen 2000s clothing styles coming back lately so prepare yourself for low rise bootcut Plummer cracks :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

I bought some low rise jnco pants recently hahaha. But I don’t wanna buy the gen z version of Y2K. I genuinely want to encompass what people were wearing around 01-02.

21 minutes ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

Omg, I CANNOT WAIT! :shaking_shake_gold_yellow: These songs and this album always makes me feel SOOOO nostalgic and takes me back to my childhood. An early 2000s TALENTED ICON. :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming: I still listen to Here with Me on repeat…such an amazing song and deserved the single treatment. Cant wait to hear the re-recording of it. :hype_britney_glory_jkl_jimmy_kimmel_live_laugh_lol_haha_hype_excited_pumped_lmao_cackle:  

I genuinely love here with me and am listening to it rn. It’s going to be so interesting to hear how it sounds with the new arrangement. She’s married to Patrick Carney of the Black Keys who she met when recording Hopeless Romantic (they actually met at a Grammys after party I think, and he asked her where she had disappeared. she explained the scrapped albums drama and eventually was inspired to write new music with him, adopting a more alternative rock sound). I’m sure she will get him to produce some stuff.

2001 is also genuinely an amazing year for music 

do you know this song:

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

IMO Michelle Branch's music aged better than Avril's. Is that controversial? :parisok_hilton_chewing_gum_pink_phone_Reading:

It’s debatable. I would say Hotel Paper and the singles off of The Spirit Room have aged very well… but spirit room in particular is so 2001 (in a good way but not in a way that would transfer over well to masses now). Spirit room aged faster than Let Go imo

2 hours ago, Mister_Secret_X said:

The new song is „You get me“, not „You set me free“, but aside that, I love everything about the OG post ♥️

i guess I am the biggest Michelle Branch fan alive 😅

Omg my bad!!! Thank u so much for correcting me. I think I just got You set me free stuck in my head 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, MayhemMike said:

i adore michelle branch. i thought i was one of the last few fans hanging around for her. im so happy she is putting this out. this was my first album i ever purchased myself. (britney's bomt and oops were gifts!)

Did you hear any of the west coast time leaks? I love Michelle’s music. Her career was unfairly stalled.

Title track is also on SoundCloud 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, corpsetranger said:

I adore this album, it has a special place in my heart :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming::mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming::mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming: but why re-record a 20 yo album instead of recording a new one??? :grimace_judging_judge_squint_ew_gross_red_white_annoyed:

C'mon now :howdareyou_meme_cat:

I think it’s going to be super cool to see how she revisits the tracks. If Taylor can redo versions of her albums less than 5 years later, Michelle should definitely look into owning her masters as well, with the new sound she has developed over the years 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block