How did "3" Become a No. 1 Hit?

12 minutes ago, aspireone said:

How did it become a huge hit?

Well, it didnt. That's why. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Well, Im not sure but I dont see it as a big hit on the same level as Womanizer, Circus, Gimme More, Piece of Me, TTWE or I Wanna Go which were actual hits around that time. It's just a cool song which happened to hit #1 like many others but it's not memorable. 

My scale to test if a pop song was a hit, is asking people who are not entirely into pop music, if they remember it was a hit and '3' is not one fo those. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Million Billion said:

Well, it didnt. That's why. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Well, Im not sure but I dont see it as a big hit on the same level as Womanizer, Circus, Gimme More, Piece of Me, TTWE or I Wanna Go which were actual hits around that time. It's just a cool song which happened to hit #1 like many others but it's not memorable. 

My scale to test if a pop song was a hit, is asking people who are not entirely into pop music, if they remember it was a hit and '3' is not one fo those. 

I'll give you this.

"3" has no long-lasting impact sans being featured in POM for years.

IUSA and Criminal are more played these days than 3, in terms of Spotify and YouTube.

BUT at the time, "3" was definitely a hit, an overplayed hit even. It just didn't last long in the public consciousness.

"3" is like HIAM, but i don't actually remember HIAM being played at the time whereas I remember "3".

• Love 2

Was it really that big though? I went #1 but it ranked quite low on the YE chart in both 2009 and 2010. And I haven't heard the song on radio in years where I live compared to Womanizer, Circus, HIAM, TTWE and S&S which still get a decent amount of recurrent airplay. High chart peak =/= big hit imo. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Million Billion said:

What? :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay: “3” was Britney’s first song to debut at #1 on the billboard hot 100. Britney has performed it on every tour and residency since it was released. This is literally one of her biggest hits. Like…what? :sneer_purple_hat_smile_smirk_there_tree_:

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Stefani said:

Was it really that big though? I went #1 but it ranked quite low on the YE chart in both 2009 and 2010. And I haven't heard the song on radio in years around here compared to Womanizer, Circus, HIAM, TTWE and S&S which still get a decent amount of recurrent airplay.

Year end charts = yearly farts. 3 was a huge hit 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

It was plugged for a greatest hits album that nobody asked for 

But that box set is so rare, 29 CD singles, with a single layer dvd, and from what I'm told the video content is bad due to it being a single layer over a dual layer disc. 

3 remains her last Grammy nomination to date in best dance recording lost to Poker face by lady gaga, of course and naturally expected to lose to that juggernaut which still gets massive airplay. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, gapeach704 said:

What? :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay: “3” was Britney’s first song to debut at #1 on the billboard hot 100. Britney has performed it on every tour and residency since it was released. This is literally one of her biggest hits. Like…what? :sneer_purple_hat_smile_smirk_there_tree_:

Maybe it was a temporary hit but it is only remembered by either britney fans or (at most) by people who are into pop music. Bad Romance came out around the same time and the difference is huuuuuuge, that's an actual hit. The fact she included it in her shows says nothing about if it was a hit or not. :verycool_britney_nod_glory_yes_yas_mhmm:

16 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

3 remains her last Grammy nomination to date in best dance recording lost to Poker face by lady gaga

That was Womanizer in 2010 :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

• Like 1