How did "3" Become a No. 1 Hit?

I remember my cheating ex that called me after several months of non communication to get back together asked if I thought “3” was as amazing as he thought. And I was like :spit_lmao_spitting_spraying_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_jlaw_jennifer_lawrence: :didilie_nicki_lmao_laugh_haha_lol_hehe_cackle_minaj_hat::ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what: oh course he would. My response was so bishy too, that I wasn’t really into it (a song about threesomes but really about the holy trinity absolving sin cause it’s cool I guess being saved and all) and he just seem genuinely choked or hurt. He was expecting I’d love it since I was a stan of course. Then HIAM came out and I was like :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle: cause my name is Hoda and I was like …. I love this better, would you hold it against me? :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle: I don’t think we ever spoke again. :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

• Haha 2

It’s because she looked amazing after two eras of looking subpar. The music video was sleek and fresh without being over complicated and she served thighney. 

It was a time when she seemed to be getting back to form... until FF happened, which was successful and had great bops, but looked... tired or bored in FF era. 

3 hours ago, Million Billion said:

Well, it didnt. That's why. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Well, Im not sure but I dont see it as a big hit on the same level as Womanizer, Circus, Gimme More, Piece of Me, TTWE or I Wanna Go which were actual hits around that time. It's just a cool song which happened to hit #1 like many others but it's not memorable. 

My scale to test if a pop song was a hit, is asking people who are not entirely into pop music, if they remember it was a hit and '3' is not one fo those. 

I don’t think anyone would remember I Wannna Go either though? Half of the people I speak to don’t even know the Femme Fatale era

2 hours ago, Sourab Patodi said:

You are comparing wrong songs..Bad Romance was from lady Gaga’s first album…she was heavily promoting her albums..in 2009 people love to hate Britney. 

also 3 sold close to 3 million copies in the US. Which is a big hit in my opinion.

Honestly I only liked Gaga’s discography till BYW

I love how Gaga fans cherry pick whether The Fame Monster is an expansion album or a sophomore album of hers. 

1 hour ago, bas che said:

I love how Gaga fans cherry pick whether The Fame Monster is an expansion album or a sophomore album of hers. 

In the US it was a separate album mainly an EP .

@Blackout2006

@ChromaticaGlory 

Wasn't the ep added on to the Fame internationally outside the US, and not sold separately like it was in the states, cos Gaga herself felt it wasn't neccessary as it was it's own standalone project 

• Like 3

While Britney's BBs single history is really a mess her songs like oops and toxic not even making top 5 but '3' is a catchy pop song everybody listened to it around those times also she became radio darling from 2008 till 2013 so 3 catching up to be her 3rd no 1 is not a surprise here. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I wouldn't say it was such a huge hit, but it was a successful song for it's time that hasn't transcended into the new times unlike its counter-parts ALA Womanizer, Circus. It did end up becoming a Top 15 hit in various countries, as well. It does have mad potential however to smash on Tik Tok because of the '1...2...3' part which can generate a tons of memes and dancing tik toks :alook_meme_down_up_look_see:

• Love 1

Just to clear up The Fame/The Fame Monster confusion - it was initially going to be simply a reissue of the debut album with extra tracks (or a side B, or you will). 

The Fame Monster was released as it’s own independent album/EP both in the states and internationally for a standard edition, and released as a double album with The Fame as a deluxe edition. 

8 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

because since the conservatorship, every new era was received as "the comeback" even if she never left in the first place, until RCA came in

it was like, Womanizer :wow_surprised_shocked_omg: "she's baaaack!"

3 :wow_surprised_shocked_omg: "she's baaaack!"

Hold It Against Me :wow_surprised_shocked_omg: "she's baaaack!"

Oh God yes, it got so annoying!! I swear even in to FF It was like that.

Also there was a lot of buzz at the time around The Singles Collection that it was included on as a "new track".

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Bad Romance lost #1 to Kesha track, 3 was number one for one short week, and according to the chart run on Billboard, it fell fast. Compared to several hits at the time. 

It doesn't matter... for a week was hand to hand with the BIGGEST hit of Lady GaGa, say what you want to say that's the true :ohcrap_britney_crap_omg_glory_jimmy_kimmel_jkl_surprised_wow:

Because let's face it, It wasn't the biggest hit from Britney but it was the biggest from Gaga tho ... .