Britney's VMAs 2007 performance is her last iconic & big pop culture moment

Najgorszy rok w życiu Britney Spears? Zdecydowanie 2007 - Muzyka w  INTERIA.PL

We all know that it wasn't the end of her career cause she released like tons of hits and #1s after that BUT after that performance she hasn't had any iconic moments like dancing with a snake, kiss with Madonna, Toxic, Baby One More Time etc. Just nothing as big and iconic as this. It really seems like VMAs 2007 performance was her last iconic moment & huge moment for pop culture. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, TakeYourHand said:

No not that massive. She doesn’t do anything controversial anymore because she isn’t building her career. She had to clean her image up and basically serve elements of her earlier career for years now. She’s acted as more of a legacy artist since. I think if she had more artistic freedom we would have had more moments. Glory era was almost there. The kitty cat milk moment in SP music video was a serve and could have been a moment live. Britney needs a massive reinvention. She’s the Queen of iconic moments but all of her work is watered down and dated with all do respect. Still love her but they’ve really milked the hell out of her blonde **** girl aesthetic. 

Agree. Lack of creative freedom and her team destroying any bit of fun. They have watered her down. She’s no longer the cool girl she once was at 25/26. They censor her videos so much that they become squeaky clean and boring. (Hence perfume and make me). They learned their lesson with SP but the damage was already done. 

• Love 1
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, TakeYourHand said:

No not that massive. She doesn’t do anything controversial anymore because she isn’t building her career. She had to clean her image up and basically serve elements of her earlier career for years now. She’s acted as more of a legacy artist since. I think if she had more artistic freedom we would have had more moments. Glory era was almost there. The kitty cat milk moment in SP music video was a serve and could have been a moment live. Britney needs a massive reinvention. She’s the Queen of iconic moments but all of her work is watered down and dated with all do respect. Still love her but they’ve really milked the hell out of her blonde **** girl aesthetic. 

This, based off Will.i.am’s interview he said britney isn’t allowed to express herself in the studio and she’s limited and made to feel small. They keep selling her as an legacy act because I believe it cost very little promotion wise to do so. Just use the old money to continue making even more money. That’s why we get 2 singles, and lackluster eras. I’ve been learning a lot about record labels lately, and they won’t promote an album if they don’t see much value in it. With that said tho- Glory was initially reported to have 5 singles, and make me was supposed to be performed at the bbmas 2016…glory was definitely sabotaged 

• Love 4
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Britman512 said:

This, based off Will.i.am’s interview he said britney isn’t allowed to express herself in the studio and she’s limited and made to feel small. They keep selling her as an legacy act because I believe it cost very little promotion wise to do so. Just use the old money to continue making even more money. That’s why we get 2 singles, and lackluster eras. I’ve been learning a lot about record labels lately, and they won’t promote an album if they don’t see much value in it. With that said tho- Glory was initially reported to have 5 singles, and make me was supposed to be performed at the bbmas 2016…glory was definitely sabotaged 

Well I think with BJ and Glory they didn’t put much focus on the albums as more of the budget went towards Vegas. They promoted her show more than both of those albums. Had Britney toured I’m sure the albums would have been promoted better but she hates promoting and isn’t fond on touring anymore so I can see why they wouldn’t invest as much. They could have at least had better stuff like banners on Apple Music and Spotify or a couple Billboards but the focus really was on Vegas as that was her most lucrative deal. Music doesn’t really sell these days anyways which is why most artists offer merchandise with releases now or focus on other brands like beauty. Britney’s not the only one who has other projects it’s just blatantly obvious she’s not passionate about them like ITZ. Besides her perfume line, she has that Broadway show coming but that’s really it at the moment. I wonder what other projects she’ll try later on. Probably a good book. I’m pretty sure her lingerie line flopped. Is that still a thing? Rihanna is killing the lingerie and beauty markets. I’m sure it’s brought her a crap load of money. She has no reason to make music anymore if she can’t profit lol. The music industry has taken a bad turn though. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Look But Don't Touch said:

Najgorszy rok w życiu Britney Spears? Zdecydowanie 2007 - Muzyka w  INTERIA.PL

We all know that it wasn't the end of her career cause she released like tons of hits and #1s after that BUT after that performance she hasn't had any iconic moments like dancing with a snake, kiss with Madonna, Toxic, Baby One More Time etc. Just nothing as big and iconic as this. It really seems like VMAs 2007 performance was her last iconic moment & huge moment for pop culture. 

Well if you include songs/videos together with performances, I would say Womanizer music video/single was her last HUGE iconic thing. Video and song were everywhere in media, GP talked about her 'official comeback', it broke records (digital download, YT views), there was this popular parody of the song (also many views on YT)...

BUT if we talk only about her performances, than yes. I would agree.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

It's hard to measure, but in regards to press coverage, and we'll say general public knowledge, I'd say the last biggest pop culture moment (aside from Britney's debut and maybe the snake) was her shaving her head. The 07 VMA performance I think was lumped in with the year long wall to wall coverage of party pics "bimbo summit", and unflattering candids.

I think a good indicator of pop culture relevancy is parody and she has gotten it this past year with semi-popular videos on TikTok and an SNL skit with seemingly mysterious insta videos and photos. I'd say she is more relevant in pop culture today than she has been in the last decade. Not necessarily a "moment", but a series and general "public awareness" aka people who read the entertainment  magazines are aware lol. Also, the coverage of her conservatorship is obviously making the rounds, too

12 hours ago, Look But Don't Touch said:

:huh_britney_confused_what_2003_itz_zone_in_the: So you think it was on the level of Toxic, VMAs 2001, 2003 etc, everyone were talking about it etc? :huh_britney_confused_what_2003_itz_zone_in_the:

Your dad 

Of course they weren’t on the same level, not even close.

Honestly, she lost her passion after the C Ship tbh. If she had been given the time after 2008 to have some time off with her kids and dissolve the C Ship in 2009/2010 as planned then her 30’s could have been very different…

• Love 6