Britney's VMAs 2007 performance is her last iconic & big pop culture moment

If we’re talking in terms of performances the 2007 VMAs was yes the last performance where she was talked about for weeks in all the news media and GP. 

Yes there were good performances and ones that slayed tbh but they weren’t to this level of media coverage. They were sort of a hit of the moment.

Like some of you said Britney does not care to have that type of coverage anymore because I feel she knew she had to tone things down in her career for her kids.

On 5/13/2021 at 5:51 PM, HIM said:

Agree. Lack of creative freedom and her team destroying any bit of fun. They have watered her down. She’s no longer the cool girl she once was at 25/26. They censor her videos so much that they become squeaky clean and boring. (Hence perfume and make me). They learned their lesson with SP but the damage was already done. 

she is a money machine and a nostalgia act

8 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

The Circus era, sweetie 

Not even just that in my opinion. Femme fatale did exceptionally well giving her more #1s than before. That was 10 years ago. Scream and Shout was a HUGE hit. The residency also created a surge of residencies which followed in Vegas and New York. It is amongst the highest grossing there. And finally, Free Britney is a worldwide moment that has changed LAWS. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, HIM said:

Slumber Party is fine. I meant the era was damaged already flop decision after flop decision 

@Drunkerella91 the video is near perfect but this isn’t true. Just like with Make Me there were MANY issues with the release of Slumber Party. I remember when it came out there was a huge delay because they initially wanted to use Slumber Party as another product placement opportunity for Orange Theory and EOS. They were initially supposed to have some kind of ad or display of the service and I think somehow there were delays over how that would impact the video.

It came out way later than it was intended to, and it wasn’t just because of the Make Me fiasco. Orange Theory and EOS were not too happy with the way their products were being displayed. 

britney was clearly passionate (at least I want to think that) about the Slumber Party video. She talks about the concept, referring to it as a “younger eyes wide shut” 

• Love 1

This performance is indeed iconic. I remember waking up the next day and everyone at school talking about it. It was all over the news, the internet and local newspapers. Looking back it wasn’t even that bad. Everyone was expecting something huge because it’s Britney and at the time she was known to be an amazing performer. She was totally out of it and had zero ****s to give, though. But I guess that’s what made this performance so iconic. 

• Like 1

I kind of agree with OP but don’t feel like there is much fault or blame for Britney or her team here. Stuff just doesn’t really blow up the way it used to. The VMAs haven’t really had many “shock” moments since this incident. Yes, there was Kanye interrupting Taylor, Lady Gaga’s meat dress, Pokerface, and of course We Can’t Stop/Blurred Lines. But really though. What moment in the VMAs since those have really stood the test of time to the point where the GP (not stans) can tell you a truly “iconic” moment? I feel this is due because of our attention spans nowadays and the progress social media has made since. Stuff doesn’t stick anymore. It happens and it VERY QUICKLY gets pushed to the next topic.

I feel like the WAP Grammy performance had all the ingredients for a shocking and iconic everlasting performance. Can you imagine if that happened in 2008? It would be talked about FOREVER and the image of the performance would be burned into our brains. But I mean, it was talked about for maybe 1-2 weeks (which is a long time for this kind of stuff now) and has since become otherwise forgotten.

Does anyone get what I’m trying to say? I agree with the OP that this was the last live performance Britney had that sent shockwaves through the media/GP, but that statement shouldn’t undermine her or her performance abilities for any of the performances she did next. I think the true fault for nothing sticking anymore is because of how we’ve all evolved as a society with the advent of social media tbh

On 5/17/2021 at 12:02 AM, bbbsss said:

This performance is indeed iconic. I remember waking up the next day and everyone at school talking about it. It was all over the news, the internet and local newspapers. Looking back it wasn’t even that bad. Everyone was expecting something huge because it’s Britney and at the time she was known to be an amazing performer. She was totally out of it and had zero ****s to give, though. But I guess that’s what made this performance so iconic. 

so punk!