Shawn Mendes: there's a desperation for me to come out as being gay | Update: Shawn comments on the gay rumors again

On 12/9/2020 at 4:15 PM, bitbitboi said:

That is so not true. Ricky Martin has been successful since he was, literally, a kid. He was and still is a living legend in Latin America. His coming out had nothing to do with the success in his career. And I guess you guys speak of artists' personal lives as if they were negotiable because you live in the epitome country of capitalism, but that doesn't make it right either.

Yea, he was more successful when he was in the closet and made the most money then. I am really not following what you are saying....he came out late in his career after all the succes and money had mostly been made. He is no where near the level he was in his prime when he came out. Everyone knows that.

Yes, success is literally determined by how successful you are. LOL

On 12/9/2020 at 6:54 PM, BrittonJeanSpears said:

Actually, Ricky Martin never stopped being successful in Latin America and internationally. His career in the US was basically non-existent in 2005 after he had will.i.am executive produce an album that flopped hard ( :eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe: people HAVE TO STOP working with that man...). In fact, his US career had a brief renaissance AFTER he came out. And he's still just as famous as he's always been in Latin America. :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

Firstly, Will I AM ruins everything he touches...Im legit there with you (he steals things). I would still be surprised if he is as big as he has always been internationally. Latin America I can try and buy....but still im squinting my eyes as I type that lol

7 minutes ago, Sealed_With_A_Chris said:

Yea, he was more successful when he was in the closet and made the most money then. I am really not following what you are saying....he came out late in his career after all the succes and money had mostly been made. He is no where near the level he was in his prime when he came out. Everyone knows that.

Yes, success is literally determined by how successful you are. LOL

...huh? What I meant is that his coming out had nothing to do with his success or where he was in his career. Money had nothing to do with it. It's really not that difficult to understand.

51 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

...huh? What I meant is that his coming out had nothing to do with his success or where he was in his career. Money had nothing to do with it. It's really not that difficult to understand.

I am saying staying in the closet was financially motivated. It usually is.Why do you think there are still closeted actors/musicians today?  "Its really not that difficult to understand"

On 12/9/2020 at 4:22 PM, Jordan Miller said:

It's my personal opinion that Shawn's music isn't performing as well on the charts because the GP isn't buying his relationship with Camila (even though it's none of our damn business tbh). That, and he is widely perceived as someone who's closeted - no matter what he does that's following him. I also think the illusion of him being single when he was releasing music previous to this boosted sales. All that, combined with his new quarantine look (the wild hair and slender physique), resulted in worse sales. Which sucks cause Wonder is a pretty great album (despite what Pitchfork thinks lol). 

So basically you’re saying that everything BUT the music is making his music perform poorly? 

I’m not sure if this is actually effed up, or if it’s just your opinion on this subject that is 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

13 hours ago, Sealed_With_A_Chris said:

I am saying staying in the closet was financially motivated. It usually is.Why do you think there are still closeted actors/musicians today?  "Its really not that difficult to understand"

Where are you from? Are you even from Latin America? Especially back then? Because that would explain everything. WHICH IS NOT HARD TO UNDERSTAND. His coming out (or being closeted) was NOT financially motivated. It's the last time I say it, think whatever you want.

2 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

Where are you from? Are you even from Latin America? Especially back then? Because that would explain everything. WHICH IS NOT HARD TO UNDERSTAND. His coming out (or being closeted) was NOT financially motivated. It's the last time I say it, think whatever you want.

Him not coming out up until the time he did, was 100000 percent financially motivated. He and his record company made money off it, to think anything else is just nieve. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Leader

Update: Shawn talked about the gay rumors in a new interview on Dax Shepard's podcast.

“It was so, so frustrating for me because there were some people in my life that I was very very close to, who were gay and in the closet,” Shawn said about the rumors that he’s gay.

He continued, “And I felt like this real anger for those people. It’s such a tricky thing. You want to say, ‘I’m not gay but it’d be fine if I was gay — but also there’s nothing wrong with being gay but I’m not.’ You don’t really know how to respond to the situation.”

Shawn added, “I’ve realized that we just have to stop having to be experts and politicians about it, especially as a famous musician who’s a guy. I need to be really f—ing messy and say the wrong things and apologize and say the right thing after I apologize and be confused about how to respond when people say I’m gay. Everyone’s been calling me gay since I was 15 years old. I’m not gay and I’m like, ‘What does that mean?’ I had these problems with the way my voice sounded. I’m like, ‘How do I sit?’ I’m always first to cross my legs and sit with a position of this feminine style and I really suffered with that s–.”

“I think a lot of guys go through that and even worse than that there are just so many guys who are gay and in the closet and must be hearing s— like that and just being like, ‘I’m terrified to come out,’” he continued.

“I didn’t grow up wrestling,” Shawn said. “I grew up getting my hair braided on New Year’s Eve. It just completely depends on the way you grew up in your life and your surroundings.”

He added: “I’m in a relationship where my girlfriend is like, ‘We’re going to get in bed and you’re going to put your head on my chest and you’re going to cry into my chest. You’re going to tell me how you feel because if you don’t do that you’re just going to be an ***hole for the next week and I’m not going to deal with that s—. I’m just lucky to be in a relationship that’s for it.” 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

Update: Shawn talked about the gay rumors in a new interview on Dax Shepard's podcast.

“It was so, so frustrating for me because there were some people in my life that I was very very close to, who were gay and in the closet,” Shawn said about the rumors that he’s gay.

He continued, “And I felt like this real anger for those people. It’s such a tricky thing. You want to say, ‘I’m not gay but it’d be fine if I was gay — but also there’s nothing wrong with being gay but I’m not.’ You don’t really know how to respond to the situation.”

Shawn added, “I’ve realized that we just have to stop having to be experts and politicians about it, especially as a famous musician who’s a guy. I need to be really f—ing messy and say the wrong things and apologize and say the right thing after I apologize and be confused about how to respond when people say I’m gay. Everyone’s been calling me gay since I was 15 years old. I’m not gay and I’m like, ‘What does that mean?’ I had these problems with the way my voice sounded. I’m like, ‘How do I sit?’ I’m always first to cross my legs and sit with a position of this feminine style and I really suffered with that s–.”

“I think a lot of guys go through that and even worse than that there are just so many guys who are gay and in the closet and must be hearing s— like that and just being like, ‘I’m terrified to come out,’” he continued.

“I didn’t grow up wrestling,” Shawn said. “I grew up getting my hair braided on New Year’s Eve. It just completely depends on the way you grew up in your life and your surroundings.”

He added: “I’m in a relationship where my girlfriend is like, ‘We’re going to get in bed and you’re going to put your head on my chest and you’re going to cry into my chest. You’re going to tell me how you feel because if you don’t do that you’re just going to be an ***hole for the next week and I’m not going to deal with that s—. I’m just lucky to be in a relationship that’s for it.” 

You don’t want this thread to die do ya :ohi_okay_chewing_gum_well_welp:

• Haha 4

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block