Shawn Mendes: there's a desperation for me to come out as being gay | Update: Shawn comments on the gay rumors again

I feel bad for Shawn, since he was 16 people started to say he was gay (I remember Stitches days). Must be frustrating to HAVE to confirm you're HETERO/GAY/BI all the time:tiffsniffle_ny_miss_new_york_crying_sobbing_sad_tears:

I always wanted him to be gay because I find him attractive (tall guys make me ooooohh:straddle_britney_pink_yoga_meditation_bounce_legs_spread_gym:) but never called him closeted or that his relation with Camila is fake. That's pretty ignorant and inmature.

4 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

Shawn Mendes is addressing the non-existent elephant in the room. For years, fans and followers have pressed Shawn on his ***uality, gaslighting him to wonder if he might be gay. 

In his new interview with The Guardian, Shawn...

• For the millionth time confirms he's hetero***ual. 

”It is funny, I say: here you are talking now about your lack of authenticity in the past, but the one thing you were accused of faking was your relationship with Camila, which is real. “There was a desperation for me to come out as being gay, which is such a ridiculous thing. I got upset because I know people who are gay who haven’t come out and I know the suffering they experience because of that. It’s just completely ignorant and insensitive of people to be on that ****.”

• The maddening goal of trying to reach new heights of success each era

“Perhaps it is not so surprising that Mendes is so sensitive to criticism. For all the millions of fans, he has plenty of detractors who say he lacks personality, his music is bland and formulaic, and that his relationship with Cabello is a PR stunt designed to boost both careers. That must hurt, but I am still amazed when he says he gets upset if anybody dislikes his music. That’s bonkers, I say, because the music is designed for a particular demographic; it is inevitable that some people won’t like it. He nods. Of course, he knows that. “That’s the problem. That’s where you go into a complete meltdown, when you try to make something that’s impossible to make: something that the whole world likes.... He nods again, and smiles. “It is a psychological head-****. It completely is, and that’s after three therapists and 55 self-help books plus meditation and exercise and life experience and all of the things I’ve been working through for the last year and a half.”

• His last two singles not being successful 

“Now, he says, he has finally got the balance right in life. I mention that his last two singles have not been so successful. Is he at a stage where he can accept that, or even embrace it? “I could not care less, to be honest. I guess what people don’t see are the emails and messages I get about how inspired those songs have made people feel.”

The interviewer went in. :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised:

It's my personal opinion that Shawn's music isn't performing as well on the charts because the GP isn't buying his relationship with Camila (even though it's none of our damn business tbh). That, and he is widely perceived as someone who's closeted - no matter what he does that's following him. I also think the illusion of him being single when he was releasing music previous to this boosted sales. All that, combined with his new quarantine look (the wild hair and slender physique), resulted in worse sales. Which sucks cause Wonder is a pretty great album (despite what Pitchfork thinks lol). 

Thoughts, Exhale? 

Related:

shawn-gay.jpg.eaeac14d10ecd67d69ce681981283d44.jpg

Sorry, but the only desperate one is he trying to prove he is not gay...

4 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

The same happened to Ricky Martin. He was always considered gay and bullied for it, and he couldn't rest from those allegations until he came out as an adult. What is crazy is that the media, at least when it comes to the entertainment aspect of it, is made up mainly of gay people, let's be honest. So this to me feels like the pressure of the "gay agenda", even against the people in the same community. Being gay and closeted is a valid choice too.

Mmmmm, to each their own...but being gay and closeted is living an inauthentic lifestyle.  We all know Rickey stayed in the closet and denied forever until his career was pretty much where it is now. When he had made all his money. Then he was cool to come out. 

I still don't think their relationship is real, and if you want to stay number 1 you better give the public what they want: A single, hot male, with a great body. I wouldn't want to be under that pressure, and it sucks....but at the end of the day he is a product people purchase. 

He very well might not be gay, I don't think people hate harry for saying he is bi. Why not just play the bi card or fluid card and move on from it. Thats how Harry stopped it, his flat out denial is what make it seem like he has something to hide tbh. 

1 hour ago, A.a.A said:

When? I've never seen anyone question JBs orientation. 

If anything he is uncomfortable with gays looking at him, he's the one that made most gay sites ban pictures of him when his ***** leaked  

back in the day when he was like 15 lol (around 2010-2011) before dating Selena Gómez.

he even mentioned that people told him he looked like a girl.

1 hour ago, Sealed_With_A_Chris said:

Mmmmm, to each their own...but being gay and closeted is living an inauthentic lifestyle.  We all know Rickey stayed in the closet and denied forever until his career was pretty much where it is now. When he had made all his money. Then he was cool to come out.

That is so not true. Ricky Martin has been successful since he was, literally, a kid. He was and still is a living legend in Latin America. His coming out had nothing to do with the success in his career. And I guess you guys speak of artists' personal lives as if they were negotiable because you live in the epitome country of capitalism, but that doesn't make it right either.

• Love 1

Why Shawn behave like being gay is a crime? Look at Harry style, he doesn’t like labels. Clearly media is after Shawn because he has some qualities that make people think he is gay? He should just live with it. Why he is creating whole drama of suffering? Like common dude you have a girlfriend and if she think you are not gay, you shouldn’t bother at all. But try to be like oh, I am straight and world is so cruel and want me to be gay! 

disgusting !

1 hour ago, Fenixxx123 said:

back in the day when he was like 15 lol (around 2010-2011) before dating Selena Gómez.

he even mentioned that people told him he looked like a girl.

Ahh yes, the times they were calling him Ellen LOL. This makes sense.

Well to be fair he was a young kid.

3 hours ago, Sealed_With_A_Chris said:

Actually, Ricky Martin never stopped being successful in Latin America and internationally. His career in the US was basically non-existent in 2005 after he had will.i.am executive produce an album that flopped hard ( :eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe: people HAVE TO STOP working with that man...). In fact, his US career had a brief renaissance AFTER he came out. And he's still just as famous as he's always been in Latin America. :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

• Love 1

I have noticed that the gay community seems to press on his ***uality. I’ve jokingly pressed the question but I could care less :receipts2_britney_um_browsing_browse:

I’ve never listened to one of his albums but some of his singles are charming. The rest of his music sounds like a whiny beaver singing :angietea_angelina_jolie_tea_sips_coffee_mug_cup_drink_spilling_spill:

Other than that he’s dating Camila Cabello who doesn’t have a good rep right now...they’re both thrown into our faces and are probably the next “Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica” :billiebarf_ew_gross_disgusting_throw_up_vomit_green_eilish:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block