Katy Perry comments on toxic stan culture on Twitter

Much as I am looking forward to the album, I think Katy Perry has to address her wrongdoing in the past (cue in YouTube cancel culture). I don't know much about what Katy Perry fans have done for her, but it would be a start instead of pointing out obvious points. Here we have an artist that has been working so hard (especially with this era), and yet, she can't seem to get a break. Hopefully something comes to Katy Perry's advantage, "Smile" is a fun song.

• Love 1

LMAO at those of you asking why she didn't complain at her peak. 

BECAUSE NOBODY WAS COMING FOR HER AT HER PEAK. That's her whole point! All of a sudden some of the GP doesn't purchase copies of her album and her comment section fills with "Flop" "Boring" "Has been" .... it's ******* ridiculous. Hence whey she's noting now, when did it stop just being about enjoying the music!?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Stefani said:

She is so ******* fake. The Kats used to drag Gaga, Taylor, Lily Allen, and any other pop girl who had even the slightest beef with Katy back when she was actually relevant, yet Katy never spoke up against that kind of behavior before. Now that her fanbase is basically extinct (much like her career) she finally has the nerve to speak up when it no longer even matters. :fu:

Why do people tend to confuse “cancel culture” with being shady or dragging people online?
Those are very different things. Throwing shade has always been around. 

Cancel culture is somewhat new in the last few years and is very dangerous when a very small minority (people on Twitter) scream the loudest. People think that this is what the GP thinks.. it’s not. Most people in the real world actually have no clue what the Twitterverse is up in arms about. That’s not reality, it’s a heightened sense of reality that only exists there. It attracts the SJW’s and people with wayyyy to much time on their hands. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Mexwero said:

Why didn’t she complain about this when she was at her peak? Lol Gurl Bye! Good Bye Reaction GIF

To be fair tho in 2013 (the last time she was huge) stan culture on twitter was nowhere as big or as toxic as it is now.

I definitely agree with her.

Idk how anyone can just spend all day writing "_____ flop" on every tweet they encounter :imacat: it's definitely not a good environment

• Love 1
  • Leader
8 hours ago, Haha-Hehe-Haha-Ho said:

I'd love to hear @Jordan Miller's thoughts on the topic tbh. 

I actually really agree with what Katy said here. However, I also recognize why stan Twitter makes these comparisons, pitting pop stars against one another etc... it creates engagement  which is essential on social media.

Exhale thrives because of engagement, and thus topics like the ones she points out exist here and perform well. It's a double-edged sword. I'm not thrilled about it, but I'm also not going to stop people from making them as I think it's ingrained in Internet culture and actually important in some capacities; the act of self-expression through the lens of pop stars.

I think regarding Katy, she made some mistakes in the past and she has been crucified and made a mockery of. She's paid the price imo and now it's time for people to get off her back. She's legendary. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

I actually really agree with what Katy said here. However, I also recognize why stan Twitter makes these comparisons, pitting pop stars against one another etc... it creates engagement  which is essential on social media.

Exhale thrives because of engagement, and thus topics like the ones she points out exist here and perform well. It's a double-edged sword. I'm not thrilled about it, but I'm also not going to stop people from making them as I think it's ingrained in Internet culture and actually important in some capacities; the act of self-expression through the lens of pop stars.

I think regarding Katy, she made some mistakes in the past and she has been crucified and made a mockery of. She's paid the price imo and now it's time for people to get off her back. She's legendary. 

I respectfully disagree and don’t think she’s paid the price for the well-deserved backlash she’s facing. Britney was my first real exposure to adoring an artist for her personality, music, and visuals and is the true legend of the both. She’s always been respectful of her peers and doesn’t deserve what Clowny did to her. The fact that Katy thought it was cool and funny to make derogatory comments against her when she felt she was on top of the world yet has never publicly apologized to Britney is part of the reason she still deserves the backlash. Let’s not even mention how unlikeable and fake her personality is. If she’s paid any price, it would be to Taylor and her fandom, but I don’t think she’s done right by Britney or her fans yet. I’ll be here to forgive when there isn’t a PR reason for making her veiled apologies and there is an actual, direct, and sincere apology to Britney herself. When Britney forgives her, I’ll consider stopping clowning on the ultimate clown. Katy came for my queen and I’ll stay on her back  

• Like 3

On the one hand, she defo has a point. The twitter Karens are wild af. On other hand, well, this is what she had coming. :deserves: I mean, she was throwing shade all the time for no reason, I would even say she was bullying some other artists online, yet when karma hit her back she tried to play the victim card. :didilie: Katheryn really should stick with the narrative that she creates music she likes and don't bother to look at the '@' section. You had your time and you screwed up, get over it. Take responsibility for your actions. :katyclown:

19 hours ago, dr35 said:

Hence whey she's noting now, when did it stop just being about enjoying the music!?

A LOOOOONG time ago sis! It may not have had a name, but petty stan culture predates the internet.  The fact of the matter is that Katy is right, but she literally only cares because she's on the losing end of it now, and because of that I'm not here for it. Right message, wrong clown.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block