Beyonce's new visual album "Black Is King" debuts with 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes

46 minutes ago, Dwb25 said:

💜 Final thoughts: 

The film was so, so beautiful and so well done. Bravo to everyone involved. I can only imagine watching this as a person of color, and how empowered, inspired, and represented I would feel. I think this film is such an important reflection. 

I get that people find her to be pretentious, or believe that this film is opportunistic. Personally, I see a woman standing in her truth and the beauty of her story, owning it, and encouraging others to finally do the same. I also see black men and women embracing the beauty and splendor of their origins and celebrating a culture that was stripped from them.

If Beyoncé has catered to a white audience in the past, and/or likely felt pressured to do so, who’s fault is that? Why wouldn’t she evolve and use her voice? And why on earth wouldn’t she do this now? Some would say that the artist has a responsibility to reflect the times they’re living in. Furthermore, as a black woman, this is her story to share, and no one else’s. 

I'm a person of color and while I do appreciate being represented like this, as a whole I was kind of bored by the entire thing. I would like to see something new and exciting from her and this unfortunately is not it. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, fedored said:

I'm a person of color and while I do appreciate being represented like this, as a whole I was kind of bored by the entire thing. I would like to see something new and exciting from her and this unfortunately is not it. 

Noted :haha:

Are you bored of the subject matter? Or are you just wanting a completely new/different sound and look from her? 

5 minutes ago, Dwb25 said:

Noted :haha:

Are you bored of the subject matter? Or are you just wanting a completely new/different sound and look from her? 

I could never be bored of the subject matter! As for Beyonce: I think she's an amazing performer, but I think what she has tried to accomplish with her last three visual albums her sister does better and more authentically. While I do think that Beyonce has been able to make black culture easier to digest for the public at large, there are many many many other examples of black art that are much more representative and genuine. 

The last three visual albums of hers have all shared a similar aesthetic visually and sonically so it would be nice to see her step out of her comfort zone , and try something a bit new. But that's difficult to do when you're a cyborg. 

• Like 5

I for one really enjoyed it. The visuals, direction, choreography, even the faint storyline they had going on... and I enjoyed much of the music. I kinda wish it was an actual NEW album though as I've been listening to this Lion King soundtrack on/off for a year now. Much as I admire the route she's taken in recent years, I too miss Beyonce the pop star and the hit-maker. Hopefully, her next proper era takes us back to basics with her a little bit :cheese:

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Dwb25 said:

💜 Final thoughts: 

The film was so, so beautiful and so well done. Bravo to everyone involved. I can only imagine watching this as a person of color, and how empowered, inspired, and represented I would feel. I think this film is such an important reflection. 

I get that people find her to be pretentious, or believe that this film is opportunistic. Personally, I see a woman standing in her truth and the beauty of her story, owning it, and encouraging others to finally do the same. I also see black men and women embracing the beauty and splendor of their origins and celebrating a culture that was stripped from them.

If Beyoncé has catered to a white audience in the past, and/or likely felt pressured to do so, who’s fault is that? Why wouldn’t she evolve and use her voice? And why on earth wouldn’t she do this now? Some would say that the artist has a responsibility to reflect the times they’re living in. Furthermore, as a black woman, this is her story to share, and no one else’s. 

I need this on a shirt 👏🏽👏🏽✊🏽

• Love 2

I thought the film was beautiful.... I was obsessed with the Lion King: the Gift soundtrack last summer... but I'm already sick of the songs.... it was cool seeing them in stunning music video form, and Beyonce reassures me that she can still perform and make amazing videos... Plus she looks incredible!!! But this is LONG overdue... I would have appreciated it more if it were either A.) released with the album last summer or B.) released at this time but with all new songs... I tried listening to the album today, but it's like... I've heard these songs so many times already.... I just hope she comes out with new music soon, preferably more songs with her genuinely singing authentically and beautifully like I know that she can.... Anyway I think it's a really good film for uplifting the African American community and helping them appreciate the beauty of their roots. Beyonce please come out with new music tho.... LOVED Before I Let Go... :meryell:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I had this odd feeling of being underwhelmed even though I think this project was genuinely astounding. Maybe it's cause I've heard all the music so many times before... I just feel like B runs the risk of plateauing if she doesn't come up with something completely new next time . It's reaching the point where she would have to shoot on location on the literal moon for me to be surprised by a visual. 

I just saw this and it was amazing. 'My Power' was my favorite on the visual album, even though I enjoyed the full thing.

I will never empathize or feel the true power of this message because I'm not black and I am aware of the white privilege that I grew up with, even though I am Latino with a bunch of roots from persons of color. That said, I felt the empowerment from these songs and the beauty of the powerful message she is sharing with the world. I've never been a fan of Beyoncé but this was amazing, she's a true artist, very talented and it really made me feel to be glad to live in the same era as her. 'Black Is King' was spectacular to watch and I will definitely see it again.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block