Common misconceptions about your country?

Slayer

22 minutes ago, zenden said:

Russia.

That ppl drink vodka 24\7 , play balalaika and of course bears r everythere. 

Drunk Amy Schumer GIF

I've heard that if you're feeling scared by the tough guys or if someone is following you in Russia just stand near one of those sweet Russian moms and they will leave you:lostney:

• Haha 2

A lot of Brits are dumb and racist and hateable, so I don't think that perception is very false :gagasmile:

I'll never forget going to a rooftop bar in LA and we told them we were from London, they said "Ooh someone was just here from London, do you know them?"

Yes hun, London is basically just one street of 10 of us. England is a village and we all fk each other to keep the population going. :rupaulslap:

• Haha 6

The thread derailed but, here, from Mexico, I don't really know what y'all think, but the most common stuff I've heard over the years, is maybe that people from other places think we all dress like this

71pKJGW+hYL._AC_UL1268_.jpg

or that we only eat tacos and chilli peppers, or that the whole country is a desert, or that there aren't Mexican people with fair skin (we have a mixture of everything, there's definitely some regions where a certain skin tone is the dominant, but we have everything from people with very dark skin to blonde, blue-eyed people).

But the biggest misconception would probably be that "5 de mayo" is an important holiday for us, when we don't even get the day off at most places. Our Independence Day is in September, and if any, the other celebration would be in November "Aniversario de la Revolución".

• Love 7
1 hour ago, BabyBabyBay said:

A lot of Brits are dumb and racist and hateable, so I don't think that perception is very false :gagasmile:

I'll never forget going to a rooftop bar in LA and we told them we were from London, they said "Ooh someone was just here from London, do you know them?"

Yes hun, London is basically just one street of 10 of us. England is a village and we all fk each other to keep the population going. :rupaulslap:

54 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

The thread derailed but, here, from Mexico, I don't really know what y'all think, but the most common stuff I've heard over the years, is maybe that people from other places think we all dress like this

or that we only eat tacos and chilli peppers, or that the whole country is a desert, or that there aren't Mexican people with fair skin (we have a mixture of everything, there's definitely some regions where a certain skin tone is the dominant, but we have everything from people with very dark skin to blonde, blue-eyed people).

But the biggest misconception would probably be that "5 de mayo" is an important holiday for us, when we don't even get the day off at most places. Our Independence Day is in September, and if any, the other celebration would be in November "Aniversario de la Revolución".

I feel bad, because I really thought you mexicans dress like this and eat almost only tacos and chilli 

Sorry Dog GIF by swerk

• Haha 3

for turkey:

we speak in arabic. (actually most of us don't even know arabic.)

all (or almost all) women wear hijab. (there are a lot of women who wear hijab but there are also a lot of women who wear more revealing clothes; shorts, crop tops...sometimes we are even physically attacked for it but that's another subject. :jl:)

we are ruled by sharia law. (muslims are the majority and they are more privileged unfortunately but the country is not ruled by sharia law.and we are not as strict and religious as arabs even though there is a group of people who try to live like them because they think that that's what muslims should do.btw I say we but I am an atheist.)

these are the first things that came to my mind because the people who have had a conversation with americans etc say that they (the foreigners) are surprised when they hear that our mother language is turkish and when they see us wearing tank tops etc.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

Tu post es mucho mejor que el mío, paisano 😎

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, britisthecolor said:

like eugenio siller <3<3<3

I was like who? But I remembered now :haha:

Yeah, I mean, there's a lot of people, especially within the entertainment industry, that are Mexican but their parents are from another country, I don't know if that's Eugenio's case. But still, there's a lot of other people whose European heritage takes back from many, many generations ago. Actually, at this point is very difficult to find someone that is 100% "Mexican" or native or however you wanna call it. Since Spain conquered this territory and they, along with other European countries colonized America, our races mixed up to the point we all have European and American blood.

This chart shows at the bottom the current diversity of skin tones in our country

Ea7ZgzwX0AIH7Ef.jpg

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block