Serious question: Did canceling Dr. Luke kill pop music?

Nah, there was a massive domination of pop in the late 2000s early 2010s. Katy, Gaga, Britney, Kesha, Taylor Swift, Pink, Rihanna, etc. It was female pop domination, but it started to decline. It can be observed with the lack of success that Katy is experiencing. Just like what are people saying, music genres have ebs and flows. Just like pop dominated during the late 90s and early 2000s, then from 2004-2007 hip-hop/rap took its place (Usher's Yeah! comes to mind as an example.) Britney kind of brought back pop/dance with Blackout in 07, which opened the door for other pop acts once again. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, OnlyFacts said:

No. It gave other producers and songwriters the ability to shine. Once Luke was canceled we got Justin Tranter and Julia Michaels who dominated the charts for a long time: sorry by JB, good for you by Selena, cake by the ocean by DNCE, most of Glory, etc etc

Yeah but that style of pop in a lot of the songs you mentioned is the kind that a lot of the people on here, and pop fans in general, complain about.

chill vibes, no chorus. it's cool sometimes but after Purpose by Justin in 2015 it seems like that's what every song sounds like.

Strong choruses are still very lacking today and that was one of Dr. Luke's strongsuits, same with Max Martin. 

Maybe they're slightly coming back with disco pop (Dua Lipa, Doja Cat) but IMO real dance pop or pure pop really isnt popular anymore. I hope it makes a comeback because I'm honestly not a fan of disco.

I hope in the 2020s pop rock, EDM pop, dance pop, and pure pop make a comeback. I'm not saying I want Dr. Luke to comeback or that he's essential for the genre either, I think other producers can make just as good pop music as him, it's just that they haven't been.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, HuffingAndPuffingOnStage said:

Yeah but that style of pop in a lot of the songs you mentioned is the kind that a lot of the people on here, and pop fans in general, complain about.

chill vibes, no chorus. it's cool sometimes but after Purpose by Justin in 2015 it seems like that's what every song sounds like.

Strong choruses are still very lacking today and that was one of Dr. Luke's strongsuits, same with Max Martin. 

Maybe they're slightly coming back with disco pop (Dua Lipa, Doja Cat) but IMO real dance pop or pure pop really isnt popular anymore. I hope it makes a comeback because I'm honestly not a fan of disco.

I hope in the 2020s pop rock, EDM pop, dance pop, and pure pop make a comeback. I'm not saying I want Dr. Luke to comeback or that he's essential for the genre either, I think other producers can make just as good pop music as him, it's just that they haven't been.

Max Martin has lost his edge, which makes me sad. He was better than Luke in my opinion, but ever since he produced witness for Katy Perry, it’s been downhill ever since. Taylor didn’t even work with him on lover, but he was on her last 3 albums. It’s a sad time for pop music, and that’s why we need Britney to come back because she was once the trendsetter when it comes to spearheading new sounds for pop - I still credit blackout for the 2008-2010’s pop music 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, OnlyFacts said:

Max Martin has lost his edge, which makes me sad. He was better than Luke in my opinion, but ever since he produced witness for Katy Perry, it’s been downhill ever since. Taylor didn’t even work with him on lover, but he was on her last 3 albums. It’s a sad time for pop music, and that’s why we need Britney to come back because she was once the trendsetter when it comes to spearheading new sounds for pop - I still credit blackout for the 2008-2010’s pop music 

True I definitely think he's lost his edge, although I did think No Tears Left To Cry was a great song (even tho i'm not an ariana fan).

Max in my opinion is consistently good / great but his songs are very formulaic and for that reason it's rare that he produces something amazing. For example with Britney, her best albums had no Max Martin, and I think her absolute best and most creative songs are also the ones without him. However when they work together it's pretty much guaranteed that the result is going to be at least a good song.

he does have moments of brilliance tho, Teenage Dream (the song) is one of them. Also What the Hell by Avril is awesome.

• Love 1
Just now, HuffingAndPuffingOnStage said:

True I definitely think he's lost his edge, although I did think No Tears Left To Cry was a great song (even tho i'm not an ariana fan).

Max in my opinion is consistently good / great but his songs are very formulaic and for that reason it's rare that he produces something amazing. For example with Britney, her best albums had no Max Martin, and I think her absolute best and most creative songs are also the ones without him. However when they work together it's pretty much guaranteed that the result is going to be at least a good song.

he does have moments of brilliance tho, Teenage Dream (the song) is one of them.

Very true. Points have been made. :katycream:

One thing for sure is Wil.i.aint💩 doesn’t need to work with her ever again. Colon Spears needs to get a restraining order against him for what he did to Bologna Juice 

stay away from her GIF by Lifetime

10 minutes ago, HuffingAndPuffingOnStage said:

he does have moments of brilliance tho, Teenage Dream (the song) is one of them. Also What the Hell by Avril is awesome.

And once I found out max Martin did “stupid love” for Gaga, I lost all hope for him to recreate his glory days.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

I don't feel like pop music is dead... Pop music evolves and takes on new forms as the years trickle on. No one can kill it. 

pretty much this.

I don't really consider him since he actually re-used over and over his beats, and he was never really experimental imo. what he did was really pop catchy to listen to, but overally saturated. I can listen to blackout and still over time to time sounding fresh. while femme fatale is satured.

same goes for kesha, her first albums with overly processed vocals and beats make it flat and saturated with time.

so I don't feel like we really lost something regardless. maybe katy perry did lmao. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block