Britney's singles that not charted in the Billboard Hot 100

20 hours ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

I never heard it or Boys and my local stations only played Overprotected like a couple times then stopped. 

My local stations have always been weird with her! During the ITZ era one station started playing Outrageous as the second single and the other station started playing IGTBB until Toxic was released. Then when Outrageous was actually a single only one station played it and they played it quite often. Then for Blackout only one station played GM for a very short time and it was an edited version that skipped the whole intro, they never played Piece Of Me, and when Break The Ice was released the one station played it super heavily almost as of it were a lead single.

Our pop station was Adult Contemporary so "Not A Girl" was played but I only heard Slave once and never heard Overprotected, Boys or MATM.  They def played Toxic, Everytime and I swear I heard Outrageous just as much as Toxic on the radio. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2
On 7/5/2020 at 6:25 PM, jordeezy said:

GP in 2001 was just not there for overtly **** Britney - she was still young and her main fan base were just becoming teenagers.  I think the DLMBTLTK music video affected the popularity of the song.  

I don’t really think that was the case, I mean it’s true I think she probably did lose a small percentage of conservative fans, but all those videos as songs were always near the top of the TRL countdown, all of them were “retired.” all the songs did well in the UK. All of her singles DLMBTLTK through boys went at least top 20 in the UK. They may not have done quite at well in the US, but I think without the radio ban they for sure would have all charted. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

I don’t really think that was the case, I mean it’s true I think she probably did lose a small percentage of conservative fans, but all those videos as songs were always near the top of the TRL countdown, all of them were “retired.” all the songs did well in the UK. All of her singles DLMBTLTK through boys went at least top 20 in the UK. They may not have done quite at well in the US, but I think without the radio ban they for sure would have all charted. 

It's not that the fans were conservatives, we were just like 9-14 years old and our parents stopped buying us her **** lol. I voted for her on TRL and stuff but I couldn't let my mom see me watching the music video. :raven:

• Like 2
On 7/6/2020 at 11:07 AM, umr3000 said:

It’s crazy to think some of Britney’s best singles did not chart on the Billboard Hot 100 especially during her prime “Britney” era. I know that she was effectively blacklisted from popular American radio around 2001 so that must have really affected things. 

Yes, I know. The changed promoter for her tour and some big bosses got mad and also, the attacks from conservatives and the new **** Britney hit her in general and affected her mainstream appeal. :bedtime:

Something like this tends to happen to foreigner artist in the USA with their sophomore albums or after they gain success. For example, Alanis Morissette, Natalie Imbruglia, Nelly Furtado or Avril Lavigne. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, jordeezy said:

It's not that the fans were conservatives, we were just like 9-14 years old and our parents stopped buying us her **** lol. I voted for her on TRL and stuff but I couldn't let my mom see me watching the music video. :raven:

My parents didn’t stop buying it for me. And quite a few of Britney’s fans at that time were also around her her age 18-21 ish. Even 16-18 they could drive themselves to the store to buy the CD... 

and in my experience some of her fans were conservative, a lot of my friends like her during BOMT and  the beginning of OIDIA it was between the 2000 VMAS and im a slave 4 when they all started to think she was “slutty. “ I lived in a small, religious, white town. Everyone loved her at first. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

What's kinda crazy is how her charts from 1998 to 2005 were way lower than 2007-2013 for her in the US :beyfedup:

She focused more on the albums and the strategy paid off.
Rihanna had another risky strategy: 7 albums in a row every year, 5 to 7 singles per albums without counting 2 or more collabs per year. She literally had for almost a decade one single per month :cheese:

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
On 7/5/2020 at 4:38 PM, MyLittlePopstar said:

The rules for how a song charted were totally different back then. There was obviously the radio ban which hurt how Britney’s songs charted, but it also has to do with sales of CD/cassette tape singles. It was actually pretty hard to find those, at least where I lived. I would buy any of them that I could find, but I don’t think Jive wanted to ship a lot of them because they wanted to make ppl buy the full album instead. Back then physical albums sold so much, and if they could get you to but an album for $15 as opposed to a single for $1-3 they definitely made more money. 

One weird example of this is No Doubts Don’t Speak, it’s pretty much their signature song and a classic 90s staple, but I didn’t chart on the hot 100 at all because they didn’t release a cd/cassette single. But the album, tragic kingdom, went diamond and was the 2nd best selling of 1997. 

despite the fact most of the Britney album songs didn’t do well on the hot 100, a lot of those songs are still considered classics for millennials. Im

A Slave 4 U and Not a Girl are definitely well remembered. I think Overprotected and Boys not as much outside the fan base, but I do think they’re the type of songs ppl don’t necessarily think about a lot, but if they came on, ppl would be like oh I remember this song! I remember my non Britney fan friends saying they saw overprotected on MTV and thought it was pretty good. If it would have been on the radio more, it could have been more iconic. 

I believe by the time DLMBTLTK came out the radio ban already happened. I don’t think it would have been a huge hit but it definitely would have charted at least lower on the hot 100, but I think it would have made it to the top 40. As far as My Prerogative and Someday, I’m not really sure. I just know they weren’t pushed all that much like a regular single. MP was kinda just something to get ppl to buy GH. And Someday was just kinda randomly put out with Chaotic, although I think GP has definitely kinda turned on Britney at that point. Neither of those songs has ever been performed. I would imagine the label didn’t think Someday would be a hit and didn’t put much into it. 

and most of the other songs weren’t really released as a single with promotion and everything. The scream and shout remix was probably just added in with the original, much like the s&m remix or till the world ends remix. It probably just never made up the majority or sales/streams/radio play or it to be named over the original. 

I found this 

"Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know" was not commercially available in the United States, and was sent only to mainstream radio on April 2, 2001.[24] Therefore, the track failed to appear on any major music chart in the United States. 

Britney publicly signed the deal with Pepsi in february 7, so when the song was finally sent to radio, it was already really known that she got a Pepsi deal and they would sponsor her next tour. 

Boys and DLMBTLTK deserved not only to have entered but topped the chart. :bedtime_britney_book_Reading: I love Boys (in both versions) with all my strength and DLMBTLTK sounds like a hit.

Someday (I Will Understand) is my second favorite song of the career, it's just as sad as how little spoken it is. It deserved to be at least top 10. This song touches the soul. :gobaby_cheering_yes_yas_wow_proud: 

Someday we should do #JusticeFor for every song that didn't charted. Let's just wait for the right timing. :clownery_makeup_meme:

• Love 1

such a fail that boys, don't let me be the last to know and born to make you happy didn't chart. 

not a girl was like a little girls song and she was 19 singing it so I don't mind that lol 

I remember my prerogative not charting and thinking it was because it was the start of her being majorly over exposed with the whole kevin federline phase

• Like 1
On 7/5/2020 at 12:15 AM, Joman82 said:

Britney's singles that not charted in the Billboard Hot 100...

From the list of official singles releases from our beloved Britney, a few of them have not charted in the Billboard Hot 100 and it’s ****ty that they didn’t. This is the infamous list:

1)      “Don’t Let Me Be the Last to Know” (the 4th single from the album ‘Oops… I Did It Again’)

2)      “I’m Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman” (the 2nd single from the album ‘Britney’ in the USA, 3rd single in other countries).

3)      “Boys (The Co-Ed Remix) feat. Pharrell Williams from N.E.R.D” (the 4th single from the album ‘Britney’)

4)       “I Love Rock ‘N’ Roll” (the 4th  European single from the album ‘Britney’)

5)      “My Prerogative” (the 1st single from the album “Greatest Hits: My Prerogative”)

6)      “Someday (I Will Understand), (the promotional single from ‘Britney & Kevin: Chaotic EP’)

Other Britney’s songs/singles that not charted:

·         “Born To Make You Happy” (single only released internationally)

·         “And Then We Kissed (Junkie XL Remix)” (promotional single from the remix album 'B in the Mix: The Remixes')

·         “Tom’s Diner” – Giorgio Moroder feat. Britney Spears (unofficial single release)

·         “Scream & Shout (Remix)” - will.i.am ft. Britney Spears, Hit Boy, Waka Flocka Flame, Lil Wayne & Diddy.

·         “Mood Ring (By Demand), (released in 2020 worldwide, originally appearing as a bonus track for the Japanese Standard edition of 'Glory')

·         “Anticipating” (released only in France as a single)

·         “My Only Wish (This Year)”, (appeared in the album 'Platinum Christmas')

Why do you guys think that these singles didn’t chart?

I don't understand any of this, people are deaf.

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/5/2020 at 3:50 PM, Живак said:

radio spins are counted in the chart formula for the Billbord hot 100 with sales then, but jive didnt release a CD singles then, that's why Toxic peaked only on ninth position.

Do something peaked at 100 because strong itunes sales.

I actually bought the cd single of Toxic back in 2004, so they did release the Toxic cd single. Or are you talking about US only?

and yes, im that old.:gloss_mirror_young_little_girl_smile_child_makeup_lipstick_lipgloss_lips_pink:

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • 3 months later...