Britney's singles that not charted in the Billboard Hot 100

6 minutes ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

The music video being played in the US means nothing, the Someday video was also played and it was certainly NOT a single here. Jive just allowed TRL to play the videos because of how popular she was on there! 

Then why is I Love Rock 'n' Roll mv not made available in the US? Because it was not released in the US. :imacat:

4 minutes ago, Живак said:

radio spins are counted in the chart formula for the Billbord hot 100 with sales then, but jive didnt release a CD singles then, that's why Toxic peaked only on ninth position.

Do something peaked at 100 because strong itunes sales.

This conversation is not about the charts but Someday's status as a single. :imacat:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, igmate said:

For the song to be considered as an official single it needs to be send to the radio stations though, a music video doesn't count as an official single release. So no i was correct, it was never officially released as a single in the US. We can consider it as a promotional single for her Chaotic show maybe but that's about it lol.

From what I know, I think Someday was only a single in a few European countries. It definitely didn’t get released in my country. I read Someday was meant to be sent to radio in the US with a CD single but got cancelled. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Roxxy said:

Then why is I Love Rock 'n' Roll mv not made available in the US? Because it was not released in the US. :imacat:

Someday was never released in the US either, yet they allowed TRL to play the video. The video thing means nothing! Also I’m pretty sure TRL did play the ILRNR video when it debuted but it wasn’t made eligible to vote on for the countdown.  

• Love 3
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, igmate said:

Born To Make You Happy, I Love Rock N'Roll, Anticipating and Someday were not singles in the US, so it's totally normal they didn't chart at all. And Then We Kiss was never released as a single.

Not A Girl peaked at #102 on the Billboard under. Boys peaked at #122 on Billboard Under and My Prerogative peaked at #101 on Billboard Under. Mood Rind peaked at #123 on Billboard Under (not a real single though and released on streaming services 4 years later).

So the only song officially released in the US that didn't chart at all is DLMBTLTK ;)

I am counting the singles that charted in the Billboard Hot 100 Chart, not on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart... toxic britney spears GIF

People always seem to not want to give her the props she deserves. Mostly because they couldn't handle how beautiful, humble and with such good manners. Same goes for VMAs. How come Oops, Lucky or so many other amazing videos never got that validation? They think she is too good to be true and then take her for a phony. But she is the realest.

Another problem was the greedy *** managers around her, people saw that and would also weight on the whole opinion that she was not a real artist. Britney is not the type who will want to make sure everyone sees it's her ideas. Like Lady Gaga and Beyonce always make sure of that.

The rules for how a song charted were totally different back then. There was obviously the radio ban which hurt how Britney’s songs charted, but it also has to do with sales of CD/cassette tape singles. It was actually pretty hard to find those, at least where I lived. I would buy any of them that I could find, but I don’t think Jive wanted to ship a lot of them because they wanted to make ppl buy the full album instead. Back then physical albums sold so much, and if they could get you to but an album for $15 as opposed to a single for $1-3 they definitely made more money. 

One weird example of this is No Doubts Don’t Speak, it’s pretty much their signature song and a classic 90s staple, but I didn’t chart on the hot 100 at all because they didn’t release a cd/cassette single. But the album, tragic kingdom, went diamond and was the 2nd best selling of 1997. 

despite the fact most of the Britney album songs didn’t do well on the hot 100, a lot of those songs are still considered classics for millennials. Im

A Slave 4 U and Not a Girl are definitely well remembered. I think Overprotected and Boys not as much outside the fan base, but I do think they’re the type of songs ppl don’t necessarily think about a lot, but if they came on, ppl would be like oh I remember this song! I remember my non Britney fan friends saying they saw overprotected on MTV and thought it was pretty good. If it would have been on the radio more, it could have been more iconic. 

I believe by the time DLMBTLTK came out the radio ban already happened. I don’t think it would have been a huge hit but it definitely would have charted at least lower on the hot 100, but I think it would have made it to the top 40. As far as My Prerogative and Someday, I’m not really sure. I just know they weren’t pushed all that much like a regular single. MP was kinda just something to get ppl to buy GH. And Someday was just kinda randomly put out with Chaotic, although I think GP has definitely kinda turned on Britney at that point. Neither of those songs has ever been performed. I would imagine the label didn’t think Someday would be a hit and didn’t put much into it. 

and most of the other songs weren’t really released as a single with promotion and everything. The scream and shout remix was probably just added in with the original, much like the s&m remix or till the world ends remix. It probably just never made up the majority or sales/streams/radio play or it to be named over the original. 

5 hours ago, jordeezy said:

Funny thing is I know for a fact that I heard "Not A Girl" on Rick Dees Top 40 - its a distinct memory I have.  I heard NAG on radio way more that S4U

I never heard it or Boys and my local stations only played Overprotected like a couple times then stopped. 

My local stations have always been weird with her! During the ITZ era one station started playing Outrageous as the second single and the other station started playing IGTBB until Toxic was released. Then when Outrageous was actually a single only one station played it and they played it quite often. Then for Blackout only one station played GM for a very short time and it was an edited version that skipped the whole intro, they never played Piece Of Me, and when Break The Ice was released the one station played it super heavily almost as of it were a lead single.

• Like 1

Another Britney song received the video treatment, and technically was released as a promotional single from the album 'Circus'. I am talking about "Kill The Lights", that have an animated music video. 

In relation to 'Circus', it's the last Britney LP to produce 5 music videos and 5 singles/songs that charted in the Billboard Hot 100 (with "Womanizer", "Circus", "Shattered Glass", "If U Seek Amy", and, "Radar". 

:prettyney:

17 minutes ago, Joman82 said:

Another Britney song received the video treatment, and technically was released as a promotional single from the album 'Circus'. I am talking about "Kill The Lights", that have an animated music video. 

In relation to 'Circus', it's the last Britney LP to produce 5 music videos and 5 singles/songs that charted in the Billboard Hot 100 (with "Womanizer", "Circus", "Shattered Glass", "If U Seek Amy", and, "Radar". 

:prettyney:

I don’t think Kill the Lights had a promotional release. It had a video made as part of a fan contest.

5 hours ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

The rules for how a song charted were totally different back then. There was obviously the radio ban which hurt how Britney’s songs charted, but it also has to do with sales of CD/cassette tape singles. It was actually pretty hard to find those, at least where I lived. I would buy any of them that I could find, but I don’t think Jive wanted to ship a lot of them because they wanted to make ppl buy the full album instead. Back then physical albums sold so much, and if they could get you to but an album for $15 as opposed to a single for $1-3 they definitely made more money. 

One weird example of this is No Doubts Don’t Speak, it’s pretty much their signature song and a classic 90s staple, but I didn’t chart on the hot 100 at all because they didn’t release a cd/cassette single. But the album, tragic kingdom, went diamond and was the 2nd best selling of 1997. 

despite the fact most of the Britney album songs didn’t do well on the hot 100, a lot of those songs are still considered classics for millennials. Im

A Slave 4 U and Not a Girl are definitely well remembered. I think Overprotected and Boys not as much outside the fan base, but I do think they’re the type of songs ppl don’t necessarily think about a lot, but if they came on, ppl would be like oh I remember this song! I remember my non Britney fan friends saying they saw overprotected on MTV and thought it was pretty good. If it would have been on the radio more, it could have been more iconic. 

I believe by the time DLMBTLTK came out the radio ban already happened. I don’t think it would have been a huge hit but it definitely would have charted at least lower on the hot 100, but I think it would have made it to the top 40. As far as My Prerogative and Someday, I’m not really sure. I just know they weren’t pushed all that much like a regular single. MP was kinda just something to get ppl to buy GH. And Someday was just kinda randomly put out with Chaotic, although I think GP has definitely kinda turned on Britney at that point. Neither of those songs has ever been performed. I would imagine the label didn’t think Someday would be a hit and didn’t put much into it. 

and most of the other songs weren’t really released as a single with promotion and everything. The scream and shout remix was probably just added in with the original, much like the s&m remix or till the world ends remix. It probably just never made up the majority or sales/streams/radio play or it to be named over the original. 

GP in 2001 was just not there for overtly **** Britney - she was still young and her main fan base were just becoming teenagers.  I think the DLMBTLTK music video affected the popularity of the song.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Isla said:

I don’t think Kill the Lights had a promotional release. It had a video made as part of a fan contest.

A fan contest for the creation of the music video sounds like a very good 'promotion' for the song/single video... :ahhhhh:

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Joman82 said:

A fan contest for the creation of the music video sounds like a very good 'promotion' for the song/single video... :ahhhhh:

Lol I guess. But I don’t think there was any promo CDs and it wasn’t sent to radio to my knowledge. 

On 7/5/2020 at 3:50 PM, Живак said:

radio spins are counted in the chart formula for the Billbord hot 100 with sales then, but jive didnt release a CD singles then, that's why Toxic peaked only on ninth position.

So you’re saying Jive didnt released Toxic with a cd single?

• Like 1

It’s crazy to think some of Britney’s best singles did not chart on the Billboard Hot 100 especially during her prime “Britney” era. I know that she was effectively blacklisted from popular American radio around 2001 so that must have really affected things. 

22 minutes ago, umr3000 said:

It’s crazy to think some of Britney’s best singles did not chart on the Billboard Hot 100 especially during her prime “Britney” era. I know that she was effectively blacklisted from popular American radio around 2001 so that must have really affected things. 

It did. Plus it was RnB urban era in the US at the time.