Christina Aguilera says early on her career execs wanted her to go by the name Christina Agee

i think is a hard to pronounce surname for one whose native language is english,i don't see anything wrong with the name change.I mean if my mother tongue were English, `` Charlie Sheen '' would be easier to pronounce than `` Carlos Estevez ''.

26 minutes ago, deadcrocodiletears said:

I feel like the problem is that so many people have tried to deny her of her heritage which disgusts me.

Like for example, I was having a discussion with my housemate who is also half Latina and she went on about how Christina doesn't actually speak Spanish. I brought up how she has this entire album in Spanish and she didn't seem all that impressed. I guess my point is, people try to discredit her due to it being her second language but it doesn't take away from how it resonates with her. Like I'm Indian and I struggle with Hindi, it comes with the territory of being a 1st/2nd generation settler. I am glad she fought for this.

I like Christina Aguilera and I have appreciated her enthusiasm for her latina roots but something about it feels inauthentic to me :chrissy: I am also bi-racial and I am a first generation Mexican citizen in the US on my mothers side. While I understand your point I have to say that I agree with your roomie. Christina doesn't even speak Spanish and she released a spanish album :yesokay: 

IDK i hope someone can prove me wrong but it just seems like she brings up her heritage when its convenient for her or when she wants to stand out more :imacat: I’ve never heard her speak spanish, talk about food she cooks, is she teaching her kids spanish? I mean I get what she says but I speak spanish, had my mom teach me how to cook mexican food. Hell, I moved to Mexico just so I could know my roots even more. She probably cant do that but it just seems like she brings it up to expand her fanbase or sales :janet:

• Love 1
  • Like 6
4 minutes ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

I like Christina Aguilera and I have appreciated her enthusiasm for her latina roots but something about it feels inauthentic to me :chrissy: I am also bi-racial and I am a first generation Mexican citizen in the US on my mothers side. While I understand your point I have to say that I agree with your roomie. Christina doesn't even speak Spanish and she released a spanish album :yesokay: 

IDK i hope someone can prove me wrong but it just seems like she brings up her heritage when its convenient for her or when she wants to stand out more :imacat: I’ve never heard her speak spanish, talk about food she cooks, is she teaching her kids spanish? I mean I get what she says but I speak spanish, had my mom teach me how to cook mexican food. Hell, I moved to Mexico just so I could know my roots even more. She probably cant do that but it just seems like she brings it up to expand her fanbase or sales :janet:

She either wants to be Britney, Gaga, Shakira, or a contestant on rupauls drag race (not shade, one of my favorite shows). She never found her true identity. Always in the shadow of others or trying to replicate what someone else has always done
 :tongueney:

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

I dont get why the OP and others find this funny? You know how insulting and racist this is? Older execs basically telling her the public wont like you because of your heritage; you're too ethnic. I'm not gonna lie, I'm sick of reading comments where people want to be so woke when it comes to BLM (which we all should support) but then some of same members here make microaggressions toward the Latin community all the time. Look at the mocking posts in this thread alone. I've seen multiple times people calling Selena Gomez "Salsa".  

Honestly if this was Lupita Nyong'o sharing the exact story, would her name be mocked the way Christina's is here? Would you not think of how racist it is when someone tries to give you a new name to redirect from your ethnic heritage? 

• Love 5
  • Like 3

I think regardless of her authenticity she did bring a new face for Latin culture which is positive especially at that time. It wouldn't hurt for her to start embracing Latin culture. She should really learn Spanish and start working with more Latin artists that could maybe actually be the revival for her career she thought she'd get from The Voice. 

• Like 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block