Christina Aguilera says early on her career execs wanted her to go by the name Christina Agee

12 hours ago, deadcrocodiletears said:

:crying4: ok tru but did anyone genuinely think this was going to be her Revival ft Selena Gomez and the Scene??? :crying2:

sorry what I meant is most people like Jennifer Lopez get a boost from doing these shows. American Idol definitely saved Jennifer Lopez's career and gave it like a second wind. That is what i mean by revival. 

On 6/26/2020 at 12:36 PM, deadcrocodiletears said:

I feel like the problem is that so many people have tried to deny her of her heritage which disgusts me.

Like for example, I was having a discussion with my housemate who is also half Latina and she went on about how Christina doesn't actually speak Spanish. I brought up how she has this entire album in Spanish and she didn't seem all that impressed. I guess my point is, people try to discredit her due to it being her second language but it doesn't take away from how it resonates with her. Like I'm Indian and I struggle with Hindi, it comes with the territory of being a 1st/2nd generation settler. I am glad she fought for this.

I remember during the promotion of Mi Reflejo Christina said she was taking spanish classes, but it seems like she never really followed through. She seems to know that Spanish is an important part of her heritage but she never actually made enough of an effort to learn the language, and she's rich, she could hire a tutor and have the best learning materials.

Learning a language is something you have to stay dedicated to and really commit to for a long period of time, but I guess she just never cared enough or was too lazy, so I can see why some people see that as a disappointment, or as an apathetic attitude towards her own culture.

JLo didn't really grow up speaking spanish, I remember seeing interviews where she made a lot of mistakes, but now you can tell she really studied it and now she speaks it very well. Same with Becky G.

• 5 months later...
On 6/26/2020 at 2:12 PM, ColdAsFire88 said:

I like Christina Aguilera and I have appreciated her enthusiasm for her latina roots but something about it feels inauthentic to me :chrissy: I am also bi-racial and I am a first generation Mexican citizen in the US on my mothers side. While I understand your point I have to say that I agree with your roomie. Christina doesn't even speak Spanish and she released a spanish album :yesokay: 

IDK i hope someone can prove me wrong but it just seems like she brings up her heritage when its convenient for her or when she wants to stand out more :imacat: I’ve never heard her speak spanish, talk about food she cooks, is she teaching her kids spanish? I mean I get what she says but I speak spanish, had my mom teach me how to cook mexican food. Hell, I moved to Mexico just so I could know my roots even more. She probably cant do that but it just seems like she brings it up to expand her fanbase or sales :janet:

i mean only her father is latino, her mother is white. her father was also heavily abusive so im very sure teaching her about ecuadorian culture wasnt on his priority list...selena quintanilla didnt learn spanish until she was older. demi lovato & selena gomez dont speak spanish, either

also heritage is complicated. im not biracial but my parents are from two different countries so i got two nationalities and two cultures. when people ask which part do i identify as more i cant answer bc both are a part of me, or more like its a mix of both thats me. im sure its the same for xtina too shes just being herself and i doubt its for sales or marketing its simply who she is

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Idk to all the ppl in here saying that they feel she’s Dis genuine regarding her Hispanic heritage ..loads of American born Hispanics or mixed Hispanics 1st generation barely speak Spanish And are constantly shunned for this and it’s kinda of annoying just Bc you may not speak the language fluently/correctly doesn’t mean you don’t have a belonging to learn or know your culture. Especially when you’ve been exposed to it and know your from it. It will always be apart of you. I’m happy she kept her last name Bc it kinda sucks you have to change yourself to fit unfortunately.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, FemmeFataleBrit said:

Say that to everyone who calls her ‘Christina Agwillera’.

People do that? :blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom:

It's complicated sometimes, but for this name you don't even need spanish skills, but i can't speak for english native speakers. 

But to be fair, i struggle with names like: Scherzinger, Zuckerberg 

Because my head is like: German or english pronunciation? 

On 6/26/2020 at 11:09 PM, Midnight said:

This is exactly how I feel about her, as someone who has followed her career she's never really showed much love to the Latino community, fans often ask her if she will ever do another Spanish album and she just never has done it. 

honestly im pretty sure this whole look was her having an identity crisis and trying to look more latina. 

singer-christina-aguilera-arriving-for-ttumblr_m5ag13E4vf1qb.jpg2003.jpg55d9a2101057a8efbdb2475487e49888.jpg

also she has recorded spanish songs her entire career.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block