Today is Juneteenth

07183A18-999F-407C-AB61-D01E17E577A8.jpeg

I wanted to title this thread “Happy Juneteenth,” but given the current unrest and pain in the African American community, I didn’t think it was appropriate. I also recognize that as a white man, I am not the best person to write this, but I did think it was important to recognize it here on Exhale.

Juneteenth (June 19th) is the anniversary of the day in 1865 that a Union army general, Gordon Granger, in Galveston, Texas proclaimed that all slaves were free based on federal orders. It became a day of celebration of freedom from slavery that spread across the United States for all African Americans.

However, the day has come to mark a cycle of both celebration and struggle for equal rights and freedom for African Americans. Where times of celebration allowed for barbecues, get-togethers, street fairs, and more, there have been repeated years where the day has had to be celebrated quietly and somberly or not at all.

Jim Crow laws forced quiet celebrations from 1890 to 1908, where African Americans were forced indoors for celebrations. Both unrest and celebration were present during the 1960s as the a Civil Rights movement faced both major progress and major challenges. During the 1990s, black hate crimes and police brutality led to unrest on Juneteenth again. And finally, today, African Americans are once again facing unrest at injustice due to the systemic racism of the American system. 

Again, I don’t think it’s appropriate for me, given my race, to direct how this thread plays out. I think it’s more appropriate and important for African American Exhalers to have the voice and lead in this thread. For non-black American Exhalers, I think it’s especially important for us to listen to what our fellow African Americans have to say, to reflect on our actions and history that have allowed this systemic racism, and to take action to end this injustice. #Juneteenth

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Gayseus911 said:

This is our day (Latinos also cause we're black) that we rise! And if you thumb me down you're in denial! :whatitellu: :goat:

Rise! 

tumblr_pq4s73PSgf1qfvtsro2_500.gifv

While most Latinos do have some African ancestry if they don’t identify as black or have enough ancestry to identify as black, I don’t think it’s fair to categorize all of them as black. While we have and still face struggles, our experiences differ. Latinos as a whole are a mix of all races. Some have more of one than another, but we are all mixed. 

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

While most Latinos do have some African ancestry if they don’t identify as black or have enough ancestry to identify as black, I don’t think it’s fair to categorize all of them as black. While we have and still face struggles, our experiences differ. Latinos as a whole are a mix of all races. Some have more of one than another, but we are all mixed. 

Ever heard of the one drop rule? It applies but I understand your point :sendinglove:

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

This is accurate , as a guy of an Arab descent I'm mixed as well with some African genes as well as middle eastern and who knows maybe even 5 % European 😂, sometimes it's confusing what I can identify with because I am dark but my features are not the typical African features and many people confuse me for a Latino/ Indian mostly here in Germany 😝 mostly I get "I thought you were Brazilian" which is a big compliment .... :chrissy:

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Gayseus911 said:

This is our day (Latinos also cause we're black) that we rise! And if you thumb me down you're in denial! :whatitellu: :goat:

Rise! 

tumblr_pq4s73PSgf1qfvtsro2_500.gifv

Latino isn't a race. There are Afro Latinos (Amara LaNegra and Cardi B) and White Latinos (Selena Gomez and Camilla Cabello). It's ignorant and disrespectful towards the black AND latinx community to simplify their history and lineage like this.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block